Grand Final # 6 - 2010

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Grand Final # 6 - 2010

Post by Harrysz »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

It was the strangest feeling after the siren.

I remember sitting on a bench not far from the G as light drizzle started to fall, pondering whether to head back home to WA or fly up to the Goldy for a week and return for the replay.

I watched the replay in a vacant donga at Argyle with a few other Pies supporters. 2 losses and a draw from the 3 GF's I'd attended.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Yes Skids, not a good record for you. But things did get better.
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:It was the strangest feeling after the siren.

I remember sitting on a bench not far from the G as light drizzle started to fall, pondering whether to head back home to WA or fly up to the Goldy for a week and return for the replay.

I watched the replay in a vacant donga at Argyle with a few other Pies supporters. 2 losses and a draw from the 3 GF's I'd attended.
Ditto, it was damn awful

My record til then live was 4 losses and the 1990 win, me and junior howled!

We watched the replay at the ESPN sports bar in downtown Disney, LA!

Thankfully she has now seen a win live!

Me 6 losses, 1 draw and 2 wins live,
Cait, 1 draw, 2 losses and 1 win live!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:It was the strangest feeling after the siren.

Ditto, it was damn awful

My record til then live was 4 losses and the 1990 win, me and junior howled!

We watched the replay at the ESPN sports bar in downtown Disney, LA!

Thankfully she has now seen a win live!

Me 6 losses, 1 draw and 2 wins live,
Cait, 1 draw, 2 losses and 1 win live!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Strangely, I felt a sense of relief when the siren went rather than feeling disappointed. St Kilda had the momentum and threw everything at us and still couldn't win in the end.

If the game had gone into extra time, I think they would have pipped us and won the flag. I feel we dodged a massive bullet.

The QF and PF performances were fantastic. It's easy to understand why we were clear favourites heading into the GF.

Thank goodness we produced the goods in the Replay and we learnt from the harsh lessons of 1977.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

After the siren went I remember feeling just a sense of calm. I just thought we would win the replay game pretty much straight away.

I agree with Jezza I thought we were going to lose if time went on.
I think therefore I think - I think
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

It is only reading this summary of the game that makes me realise how close Collingwood was to loosing this drawn grandfinal which would have been one of the great turn-ups of all time given the form leading into the game.
Travis Cloke had a shocking couple of misses in the first half that could have cost us badly but got the goal to put us in front in the last 5 mins. Leon Davies had a quite game but had that magic touch to get a class goal when it counted but was deemed to big a risk to play in the next week loosing his place to the reliable but unspectacular Tyson Goldsack (who kicked the first goal of the match in the replay!)
Pendlebury was crook during this game and played a relatively quite game, but made up for it the next week when he was best on ground in the replay.
I remember feeling relief when the final siren went as St.Kilda was on top and had the momentum to win that game if it had gone on for another 5 mins. I vividly remember watching Steven Milne seem to stop following the ball after out positioning Ben Johnston and time seemed to slow down as the ball bounced through for a point to tie the scores instead of being picked up by Milne to goal and win the game. Collingwood has had a lot of bad luck in Grand Finals but that was a stroke of good luck.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I know they all count but i feel like that the 2010 premiership was our most over looked and not a hell of alot of the footy world discusses it.

It always to be our forgotten flag.

if we won under Malthouse in say 2002 or 2003 then it would have been given more attension but it wasnt until 2010 we did it.

kind of better late then never.

thought that even tho we won was starting to come to the end in regards to malthouse as coach and that the club will change for the worst.

I really like Malthouse i think he is one of the games greatest coaches.

I liked it that he coached us too.
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

I agree with Boot - Stephen Milne did seem to stop and the ball bounced away from him.

I also agree that Malthouse was a very good coach for us. I didn't like his behaviour after 2011 but generally he got the best out of what he had.

People seem to say that St Kilda had the momentum and probably would have won if the match had played out for another minute or so. Of course well will never know, but I thought we got some momentum back in the last half minute. Benny Johnson, you are a star!
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Harrysz

Mate cannot tell you how much I enjoy these threads. Thank you so much for the work you have done. Brings back such memories. The first GF I remember is 79. The first one I went to was 81. My father got me a standing room ticket two hours before the game. I felt like I was Charlie in Willie Wonka - I had gotten the golden ticket. He watched the game from the Richmond social club. And Williams dominated, and in the third quarter we were 21 points ahead. And and and … . Anyway thank you again. Maybe just keep these on constant loop. The victories and ten losses are all part of us. Now watching the 77 GF on Fox. Geez there are a shitload of torpes!
Dispatches from a foreign land
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

Thanks for your comments Pete 70. I appreciate it.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Jezza wrote:Strangely, I felt a sense of relief when the siren went rather than feeling disappointed. St Kilda had the momentum and threw everything at us and still couldn't win in the end.

If the game had gone into extra time, I think they would have pipped us and won the flag. I feel we dodged a massive bullet.

The QF and PF performances were fantastic. It's easy to understand why we were clear favourites heading into the GF.

Thank goodness we produced the goods in the Replay and we learnt from the harsh lessons of 1977.
Totally agree Jezza; I was hooting and hollering like we'd won it.

Was supremely confident going into the next week, didn't think there was anyway Hayes, BJ and others could play as well 2 weeks in a row, whereas we had plenty with more to contribute...as it proved to play out.

In my shead I have a blown up version of a HS poster just after the siren, the crowd image is incredible, such a range of responses and emotions
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer