50 years ago -Jim O’Dea & John Greening incident

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

50 years ago -Jim O’Dea & John Greening incident

Post by BazBoy »

It was Saturday 8th July 1972 at Moorabbin that John was felled behind play
He was a brilliant footballer, and I was at Carlton ground in 1969 when we thumped them by 12 goals
John kicked 7 goals that day
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

O'DEA YOU DOG. GO JOIN YOUR PUTRID COACH IN HELL.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I was there at Moorabin that fateful day the thug O'Dea, under instructions from his copper coach Alan Jeans, effectively ended the career - and nearly killed - the best player I've ever seen. I still mourn his loss to us. When he arrived at Collingwood he declared his ambition was to captain the club and go on to coach them. We'll never know what might have been, but I still remember his exhilarating displays of pure, unadulterated class. I've been waiting for years for our club to name an award in his honour....I'm still waiting. :cry:
Last edited by RudeBoy on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

Greening was my favourite player. Even after 50 years, it still saddens me! He was robbed of an amazing sporting career through no fault of his own because he was plainly a star player (The best!). He was physically damaged for life! I'll always remember him as an incredible mark, superb kick, and he was just everywhere! Thanks Baz Boy for reminding us all!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

This is why St Kilda is my most hated team, even more than Carlton. Jeans instructed a low life thug to take out John Greening behind the play with a king hit. Nowadays, this would be liable to criminal prosecution.
Then Stephen Milne, Steven Baker, Sam Gilbert....a team of low lifes who tried to scrag their way to win a Premiership against us.
Disgusting team.
I like Brett Ratten, he has tried to rehabilitate them, but you can't overcome such a disgusting historic legacy.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Jezza »

Greening was obviously before my time, but many supporters describe him as one of the best players they ever saw.

Round 9 1972 vs Geelong = 46 disposals, 6 goals.
Round 10 1972 vs South Melbourne = 45 disposals, 4 goals.

Remarkable stats even in this day and age. Very sad what happened only a few weeks later.

We were robbed one of our greatest talents fulfilling his full potential.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I saw Johnny a number of times, my teenage memory of him, he could run low, like a hare, fast as buggery, uncanny ball skills, weaving, ducking, one of the best players in the clubs history. Before that fateful day at Moorabbin, he had the Brownlow medal sowed up, then, July, and could have won two more, easy. Brilliant dashing player, cut down by a vile thug, who was actually made a Life member by that pathetic club, thats what grinds my gears. Paid em back in 2010, i thought of Johnny that day, revenge is a dish best served cold.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

It’s a tragedy how the career of John Greening was struck down by such a vile act. I think we never hear much about it, or of Greening himself, as the AFL is still ashamed that this terrible episode played out on a football field of the VFL. I hope John Greening is living a happy retirement and has got over the regrets of what could and should have been his destiny. I know I haven’t got over it.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

As bad as the incident with Bruns/Matthews was in 1985, the act perpetrated on John Greening that day at Moorabbin is the worst in my time of following football.

Imagine the outcomes in the following seasons with a fully fit Greening:
1972, 1973 (we won 19 and lost three before being eliminated in straight sets in the finals), 1977, 1978, 1979.

The loss of Carman to suspension in 1977 would have been more than covered with a fit Greening.

We would have at least have made the 1978 Grand Final.

If Greening and Daicos had been available or selected in 1979 Grand Final, we would have wiped the smiles off the faces of George Harris and Boundary Umpire Harmes.

Most importantly, a young footballer was cut down short of what would have been an amazing prime and his quality of life was compromised. In football terms, this was a tragedy.

I will neither ever forget nor forgive that vile club...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

RudeBoy wrote:I was there at Moorabin that fateful day the thug O'Dea, under instructions from his copper coach Alan Jeans, effectively ended the career - and nearly killed - the best player I've ever seen. I still mourn his loss to us. When he arrived at Collingwood he declared his ambition was to captain the club and go on to coach them. We'll never know what might have been, but I still remember his exhilarating displays of pure, unadulterated class. I've been waiting for years for our club to name an award in his honour....I'm still waiting. :cry:
I was there as well I remember the St Vomit fans laughing about it
According to them Greening hit O Dea and fainted from the pain of his injured hand, this was widespread humor from the scum.
2010 was karma

pity it took so long

**** all of them
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
neds elbow

Post by neds elbow »

John was my favorite player as a young teenager and I was there that fateful day at the Moorabbin shit heap. So sad to think of what might have been as he was one of a kind.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

A day that will live in infamy

Why I could never understand was that no one seems to have actually seen the hit, surely not everyone there was ball watching?
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

John was an absolute star and one of the 'silkiest' players I had ever seen. That day at Moorabbin, he was horrendously cut down in his prime. Not only an exceptional footballer, but a wonderful human being. One of a kind.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »