The not drafting or trading for James Stewart

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

ip address

Who is Stewart?

Post by ip address »

I've seen in a couple of posts and even a photo ... but who is Stewart? He's seems like the Scarlet Pimpernel!
Waiting for Premiership 15 ... amended now to 16
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Future father/son selection (this year?) who's a highly rated junior.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
buckstopswithbucks

Re: Who is Stewart?

Post by buckstopswithbucks »

ip address wrote:I've seen in a couple of posts and even a photo ... but who is Stewart? He's seems like the Scarlet Pimpernel!
The son of the man that kicked 32 goals in the Leigh Brown role for us in 1979 and was dropped on the eve of the Grand Final that we lost to Carlton by 5 points for another Forward/pinch hit ruckman in Derek Shaw

Derek Shaw collected ZERO possessions in the Grand Final

Never has a premiership been more lost at the selection table, we dropped a guy averaging one and a half goals and replaced him with a donut :cry:
Last edited by buckstopswithbucks on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
1 more flag to become the greatest club of all time!
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

His name is James Stewart, and his father was Craig Stewart as alluded to above.

He is a highly rated 17 year old who we can take under the father/son rule at the next national draft.

It is almost certain someone will bid for him, probably with a first round pick which means for the 3rd-4th season in a row we will not have a real first round pick.

But unlike the Krakouer, Wood, Clarke deals, we get one of the absolute best young talents with what is likely to be a draft pick in the high teens.

Hopefully we get to see a little of him in the VFL this year, although I don't know the legalities of that. :D
Troppo

Post by Troppo »

Are we entirley sure this is not the progeny of a former arttiste from the 'Faces' era? Yound Rodney put his spermatazoa all over the place in those years ...
... Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent ... Wittgenstein
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

mattys123 wrote:His name is James Stewart, and his father was Craig Stewart as alluded to above.

He is a highly rated 17 year old who we can take under the father/son rule at the next national draft.

It is almost certain someone will bid for him, probably with a first round pick which means for the 3rd-4th season in a row we will not have a real first round pick.

But unlike the Krakouer, Wood, Clarke deals, we get one of the absolute best young talents with what is likely to be a draft pick in the high teens.

Hopefully we get to see a little of him in the VFL this year, although I don't know the legalities of that. :D
Doubt we see Stewart in the VFL as our Affiliated VFL team is the Murray Bushrangers and Not Sandrigham Dragons - Though he could play for the Sandy Zebras who are Aligned to the Aints
I am Da Man
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Troppo wrote:Are we entirley sure this is not the progeny of a former arttiste from the 'Faces' era? Yound Rodney put his spermatazoa all over the place in those years ...
Only if the spermatazoa was on Hitchcock's Rear Window methinks :)
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

Dave The Man wrote: Doubt we see Stewart in the VFL as our Affiliated VFL team is the Murray Bushrangers and Not Sandrigham Dragons - Though he could play for the Sandy Zebras who are Aligned to the Aints
The Dogs were allowed to play one of Wallis or Libba's sons for Williamstown in a few games before they had even drafted him, so maybe there is a loophole somewhere.

Although I'd say he'd spend the next 12 months in NSW anyway, and he might be invited down to join in training for the finals, a bit like Cribbin and Mooney have been in the past.
regan is true fullback

Post by regan is true fullback »

When you lose a champion, as we did with the amazing Phil Carman in 1979, (traded to Melbourne) then a lot of folks put up their hand to take his place.

First came Ross Brewer, the bloke we swapped Carman for. He was not a dominant forward, and was seen better as a half forward flanker.

Next came Craig Davis. he also was not a dominant forward, and was seen better as a half forward flanker.

Next came Rene Kink. Hafey put him at centre half forward, but Rene was Rene, and he ended up on a half forward flank as well.

Next came "Wonky Knees" Edwards. We got one good year and a half out of out of him at chf before his knees gave way in the 1980 elimination final. Played well in the 79 grand final.

Then there was Craig Stewart, who replaced Edwards at chf with underwhelming results.

With all these forwards running around, I guess that Hafey and co thought that Peter Moore needed a spare ruckman to help out in the grand final. Enter the amazing Derek Shaw. It is interesting that Derek never got another turn in the ruck until 1983, when he could have been useful in the 1981 grand final. Instead ruckman Moore played injured, sound familiar. Yet more wasted opportunities.
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Christ! Derek Shaw one of our poorer recruits
Edwards was very promising till he did both his knees at the same time double ACL
Craig Stewart was a better KPD than forward

All recruited at a time when our scumbag administration refused to spend money on recruits and believed in playing for the jumper.
The difference between Eddie and those shit for brains presidents and committee men is so vast and so important we should never forget. ( or forgive)
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
buckstopswithbucks

regan is true fullback wrote:
Then there was Craig Stewart, who replaced Edwards at chf with underwhelming results.
32 goals in the 1979 season and then dropped for Donut Derek in the 79 Grand Final..

I wouldn't be blaming Stewart in that scenario
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Where was Chris Perry when all this was going on?

The best thing about Craig Stewart was that we traded him to Richmond when he was past his best.

God we had a golden run doing deals with Richmond for awhile there...
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
buckstopswithbucks

Damien wrote:Where was Chris Perry when all this was going on?

The best thing about Craig Stewart was that we traded him to Richmond when he was past his best.

Yeah especially McKee and Roach for the Pavlich pick.. that was a pearler :shock:
Last edited by buckstopswithbucks on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Damien wrote:Where was Chris Perry when all this was going on?

Seems I've got dementia these days, but wasn't Craig Stewart traded to the Tigers as part of the deal which delivered us Raines?? To be honest the 70s and 80s are all a bit of a blur to me these days.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Are you honest the 70s and 80s all a blur to him or her these days are all ?