#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Colin G Wood
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Colin G Wood »

But can't we match the offer?
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

Colin G Wood wrote:But can't we match the offer?
No. You are thinking of RFA.
All We Can Be
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by stui magpie »

MightyMagpie wrote:
He's out of contract. There are 3 options.

1. He accepts our contract offer.
2. He declines offer and goes to the PSD
3. We trade him to where he wants
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Colin G Wood

Post by Colin G Wood »

Well I'm hoping for option 1

(Thanks too for the clarification)
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

stui magpie wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

And option 2 is why we have little leverage for option 3, especially if he is interested in Brisbane as rumoured.
All We Can Be
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

cox has to be realistic about where he's at. he may want more opportunities but that only comes from merit and earning the right to play. he's still learning the game and adjusting to the rigors of professional football. he's a work in progress and by no means a superstar of the game but if there's any club that knows his development and is capable of taking him to the next level - it's us! the brions might be offering more coin but they're a rubbish cesspit of a club going nowhere.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

MightyMagpie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote: No. You are thinking of RFA.

And option 2 is why we have little leverage for option 3, especially if he is interested in Brisbane as rumoured.
If he seriously wants out then what's he worth? I would demand a 2nd rounder at the very least from briscum. But if martin wants to return to Victoria then I guess he could be included in some way as part of a deal.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

I'm a bit ambivalent on whether he stays or not. It's probably ideal that he stays, but not necessarily...

I have strong doubts that Cox/Grundy can make it as a quality second tall forward. I'm also mildly against playing three tall forwards. That potentially leaves us with another season of trying to get the Cox/Grundy balance right and possibly trying a third tall forward or a smaller Crameri/Mayne type. It failed all season in 2016 until the very last game. If it fails again we've wasted another season and Cox will leave anyway.

What we definitely do need is a clear view of how our forward line should be structured. We did not seem to have that in 2017, sometimes going with 2 talls, 3 or Moore alone. Our support of Cox also seemed to be flimsy, being dropped after one or two games on more than one occasion. I'm not confident that Cox can be part of a successful forward line, but if we keep him the club does need to be and must fully commit.
Well done boys!
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

frankly I'm going off him. I was a big supporter of him very early and was rapped at how he was progressing - but if he doesn't love the club it won't be a loss. I'd never make a good recruiter, really don't like the American mentality of chasing the money. I'd like to see him well paid but if thats the only thing that drives him I don't give a rats
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

glasseyevfx wrote:frankly I'm going off him. I was a big supporter of him very early and was rapped at how he was progressing - but if he doesn't love the club it won't be a loss. I'd never make a good recruiter, really don't like the American mentality of chasing the money. I'd like to see him well paid but if thats the only thing that drives him I don't give a rats
I know how you feel, but given the circumstances I'm prepared to cut Cox a bit of slack. Being soon to turn 27, he realistically only has 4-5 yrs left in the game to make a living. So money will obviously be a priority. Furthermore, I suspect that Collingwood had not offered him much at all, when negotiations began, because at that time he was only playing in the VFL and many (including me) had given up on him. It's really only his last 3 senior games which suddenly turned things around, and probably doubled his value. Hopefully our club will make him a good offer and he will remain.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ agreed, RB. He also has an engineering degree and he turned down an offer of a career with ExxonMobil (starting salary probably about $100k AuD with rapid early increases in his first few years) to come over here.

These seven or so years out of his professional career may well have substantial costs for him later on in life, so he needs to make the money now. He deserves to be well compensated, and I bloody well hope we pay him what he's worth. I think he could be anything, based on his last few games.
Two more flags before I die!
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BBHS »

I thought him and Mclarty where both great in the VFL final. He is playing with genuine confidence now. Would be disappointing to see him walk away at this point.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

BBHS wrote:I thought him and Mclarty where both great in the VFL final. He is playing with genuine confidence now. Would be disappointing to see him walk away at this point.
Agreed worth keeping him. McLarty was our shining light for our youngsters on saturday.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Strip it all back and the reality is that if he stays, it's at least one less hole that we would need to fill.
He can play in the ruck and he can go forward and provide a genuine tall marking option.
It's safe to assume he will continue to improve. He would be a better forward prospect again if / when we start to move the ball quicker and also a better ruck option if they eliminate the bounce down.
I can't see him getting any worse and I see him being a valuable and versatile part of our list in the future. No wonder there is interest from other clubs.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “