Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piedys wrote:this will be the post game controversy all week now, wont it?
Nah, it’s Maynard getting to play and McCreery not shaking the kids hand. mountain out of a molehill.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 203 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Maybe not. Fly has already said they will deal with it in house with more "education" for Ginnivan.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Maybe not. Fly has already said they will deal with it in house with more "education" for Ginnivan.
Well firstly, I guess we need to determine if our players in general, are banned from attending race track meets on any sort during the season, and more specifically, what restrictions were imposed on player's leisure time during finals?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

piedys wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
Well firstly, I guess we need to determine if our players in general, are banned from attending race track meets on any sort during the season, and more specifically, what restrictions were imposed on player's leisure time during finals?
It all comes down to professionalism in my book.

I love Ginni but he just needs to grow up a bit, as a poster on BF said . . . Average footy careers are 4 years . . . the clock is ticking Ginni so if you want it you need to own it.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

piedys wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
I don't think we know enough about it to make any judgements about it, So whatever the club and football dept decide to do about it is fine with me. It might be its left up to the players to make their own judgements on whats right and what's not. However I doubt you would find Pendles, or even Bobby Hill, out on the punt the night before a grand final.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

He is not that great . I like him and love his excitement, but sadly we would be better off trading him
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

jonmac1954 wrote:
piedys wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote: Maybe not. Fly has already said they will deal with it in house with more "education" for Ginnivan.

I love Ginni but he just needs to grow up a bit, as a poster on BF said . . . Average footy careers are 4 years . . . the clock is ticking Ginni so if you want it you need to own it.
Looks to me that Bobby has gone way past him for the small forward role now. Ginnivan may need to reinvent himself if he wants a regular place in the team.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
piedys wrote: Well firstly, I guess we need to determine if our players in general, are banned from attending race track meets on any sort during the season, and more specifically, what restrictions were imposed on player's leisure time during finals?

Looks to me that Bobby has gone way past him for the small forward role now. Ginnivan may need to reinvent himself if he wants a regular place in the team.
Whatever he does he needs to do it now otherwise the train will leave the station without him at some point.
piedys

Post by piedys »

DP? delete please mods....
Last edited by piedys on Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Cooper

Post by Gerry Cooper »

piedys wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
It seems the club knew about it according to this. So NFA basically.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1046640/col ... -dividends
piedys

Post by piedys »

Gerry Cooper wrote:It seems the club knew about it according to this. So NFA basically.

Well that ends any speculating and second-guessing; that club stamped it, so all over red rover.

Go da PIES! 8)
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

I don’t know why our fans go nuts over him personally, having shown very little since his anomalous 2022 season. To the extent where certain posters were deriding Bobby Hill earlier in the year saying he had nothing on Ginni. He’s got an unearned reputation as a great player and is carried by his team mates. I think John Noble deserved a spot ahead of him. He at least would’ve busted his arse and created some chaos. At least Billy was structurally important and did his role for any naysayers who want to mock his selfless disciplined game.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

DP
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:I think Fly was a little disappointed after he'd shown faith in Ginni by making some big selection calls and that's how he repays him.

If he'd had a great game it would have all been forgotten, but he had a game to forget as well!
He was probably our least effective player. Was unsighted for much of the game. Not a good look for a player who was out enjoying himself the night before a grand final.
His decision on the set shot to kick around the corner instead of drop punt was a :shock: moment...

'Cos he did this in an H&A game and didn't score. TV guys asked him 'bout it in the rooms after the game. He said he thought it was a mistake. Too far, he said.

So he says it... And then repeats exactly the same thing in a GF. :shock: (Looked to me the same distance too.)
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

piedys wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:It seems the club knew about it according to this. So NFA basically.

Well that ends any speculating and second-guessing; that club stamped it, so all over red rover.
Nothing in that says the club rubber stamped it beforehand.

I reckon the "He did it with Collingwood's blessing" line just refers to Craig Kelly's media stuff on Saturday. And we don't know what Kelly really thinks.

It's very unlikely Ginnivan woulda told the club about it before we went.