#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

I don't know... who would have thought in 1987, a 199cm Irishman would win the games highest honour... fast forward 4 years...

I see a little of Jimmy's gait in the American Pie, so you never know. Stranger things have happened...
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

You would think that cox is a required player and surely he'd understand that it takes time to develop, and that when he does start performing consistently he'll be rewarded with more senior games. We'd be mad to move him on seeing as though we have no legitimate back up option.

Still there's not much we can do if a club offers up more money than we are prepared to pay.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

I did just see cox on seven news being filmed in discussion with what appeared to be his manager and another club.. did anyone else catch that or shed some more light on what that was about?
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 116 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

It's would appear from the outside looking in that Cox and his manager have realised the value of being 7ft and he would seem to want a regular starting gig which is natural.
For mine in the last game against the Dee's Cox started in the ruck and Grundy at FF and it seemed to work though I temper that by saying Grundy isn't going to kick the bags you need as a FF. But if he and Cox can combine for 3 a game on average then it would be a good return given when Grundy goes to the ruck he offers huge extra efforts and Cox at FF offers a match up that's hard to lock down 1 on 1
We had tried it in reverse before and it didn't see to work so why did it work for the Dee's game ?
All I know is I agree with the posters that said we don't know exactly how good he could get yet and I would hate to see him improve another 30% heck he would be very handy then.
He's a required player and I hope some one from the club sits down with him and says "look Mason we know you want more game time and to be more a ruck than forward and I think we can work that out""now mate we've invested time and money in you in good faith and have been really happy with your development and the boys really enjoy your company around the place how about you give us 2 more years as a sign of good faith in return and let's see if we can't get playing finals footy"
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Where can he go and get more game time? And if he goes, what's his trade value if in fact he has any?
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Achilles wrote:Where can he go and get more game time? And if he goes, what's his trade value if in fact he has any?
He could play as No.1 ruckman at several clubs.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Big Dan

Post by Big Dan »

Where would Cox be no#1 ruck?
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^Very few clubs, I'd say. Brisbane is one that he has a chance. Would be up against Archie Smith if Martin leaves.

There are other clubs with older rucks than Grundy, but Cox isn't young himself (27 in March).

I see Brisbane as the main threat. He has a very good chance of game time at Collingwood, it's just just that it will be ruck/forward. My thinking is if he leaves it will be to play, or have a chance of playing first ruck. 20 games in two years is pretty good from where he came from, so it's not like we haven't given him opportunities. If we suggest he'll be a big part of our plans in 2018, then that's a decent pitch. Plenty of teams where he'd struggle to get many games at all.

I understand if he wants to leave. He's turning 27, so he's not young. If he thinks he can only maximise his potential by playing first ruck (likely correct), then he doesn't have the time to try ruck/forward for one more year, he needs to move now.
Well done boys!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

AN_Inkling wrote:^^Very few clubs, I'd say. Brisbane is one that he has a chance. Would be up against Archie Smith if Martin leaves.

There are other clubs with older rucks than Grundy, but Cox isn't young himself (27 in March).

I see Brisbane as the main threat. He has a very good chance of game time at Collingwood, it's just just that it will be ruck/forward. My thinking is if he leaves it will be to play, or have a chance of playing first ruck. 20 games in two years is pretty good from where he came from, so it's not like we haven't given him opportunities. If we suggest he'll be a big part of our plans in 2018, then that's a decent pitch. Plenty of teams where he'd struggle to get many games at all.

I understand if he wants to leave. He's turning 27, so he's not young. If he thinks he can only maximise his potential by playing first ruck (likely correct), then he doesn't have the time to try ruck/forward for one more year, he needs to move now.
It's all about dosh. Given that he's turning 27 before next season, he needs to maximise his income for the next 4-5 years because after that he'll be done and dusted.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Big T »

Odds on he will stay.
Buon Giorno
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Yep, the big septic tank will stay, monty. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Big Dan wrote:Where would Cox be no#1 ruck?
The Bulldogs would be one.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

swoop42 wrote:
Big Dan wrote:Where would Cox be no#1 ruck?
The Bulldogs would be one.
Freo
Chance at Richmond and Sydney
Would have played 22 matches and finals this year at West Coast
Colin G Wood
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Colin G Wood »

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere but Mason isn't a restricted or unrestricted free agent, so that means if we decide we want to retain him then we can if we decide the asking price is not beyond the pale?

Is this thread really discussing that decision?
MightyMagpie

Post by MightyMagpie »

Colin G Wood wrote:Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere but Mason isn't a restricted or unrestricted free agent, so that means if we decide we want to retain him then we can if we decide the asking price is not beyond the pale?

Is this thread really discussing that decision?
He can go in the PSD if he wants to and Brisbane have pick 1.
All We Can Be