Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

Afl.com.au is now polling the question today. Herald Sun back page. & 7 pages on Nicks. Somehow I think his memory has survived without the jumper in circulation. The family must be happy with the method of any reinstatement before anything should happen.

Perhaps present the jumper to the #1 recruit and have them play with their own number.
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
Ev5Magpies

Post by Ev5Magpies »

I agree with pretty much everyone on this topic, although I can't be bothered reading all 7-8 pages, the 1st page says enough.

There is no way the club should give the 42 to our 1st draft pick. It was retired for a reason & nobody deserves it, I wouldn't even agree to Bucks wearing it & he's arguably our greatest player ever!
So no Collingwood, please reconsider the move. Nothing against the Morrison kid, but c'mon...seriously

Start a petition...
Ohhhh the premierships a cakewalk for the good old COLLINGWOOD
Freezercrowd

Post by Freezercrowd »

If Bo Nixon had been given the guernsey last year it would not have been seen! Not much of a tribute to Pants to have his number running around in the Magoos all year
Enough research will tend to support your theory
stoid

Post by stoid »

There is only one question that needs to be answered here. WHAT WOULD PANTS WANT? If those who knew him best can answer that question, and that question only, while being totally objective, therein lies your answer.

Cheers,

Stoid
Daks

Post by Daks »

stoid wrote:There is only one question that needs to be answered here. WHAT WOULD PANTS WANT? If those who knew him best can answer that question, and that question only, while being totally objective, therein lies your answer.

Cheers,

Stoid
spot on mate!
cobood

Post by cobood »

Two_Pies posted
Somehow I think his memory has survived without the jumper in circulation. The family must be happy with the method of any reinstatement before anything should happen.
Well said TP .... am in total agreeance.
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

I'm with you Joel - if the family want it - I want it and vice a versa!! And I would dearly love to know what Banksy thinks of the idea

I thought at the time something was not right as there was no commnet from the family when the news was released.

What is going on - this is Collingwood not communist China for *** sake :roll:
Collingwood 4 eternity

Call to revive Darren Millane's 42

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

OMG, batten down the hatches, there will be roughly 17,834,329 idiotic outpourings of phoney outrage and sham patriotism all over the place, and all about as believable as a plastic pussy cat. Sometimes I wish I was a Footscray supporter. Unless I miss my guess, this is going to be one of them.

It's a number. Get over it.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Call to revive Darren Millane's 42

Post by Big T »

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote: Shaw once said of Millane: ''If you don't get goose bumps on your neck when his name is mentioned, then I don't think you have got the character to be around the club.''
I think this is a timely reminder to all of us that Tony Shaw still loves this club. I am sure he still feels this way.

I think it would be fantastic for Tony to approach the family and discuss this issue of keeping the Millane name alive with young Pies supporters, if not through his jumper, then perhaps they find another way.
Buon Giorno
Big_Glenn_Sandford

Post by Big_Glenn_Sandford »

I'm torn on the issue because I really don't know who would be worthy to wear the jumper.

Perhaps (and I don't know if this possible or not) a different player could wear the jumper each week for the last 4 or 5 weeks of the season and then in the finals.
The player who wears it would have the weight of the world on his shoulders and would be required to do all of the team things..

Bring out the jumper every now and again (if it's possible) but never issue it a particular player

just a thought
DIDAK..DIDAK....OOOOHHHHHHH !!!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think we've retired the number, leave it at that.

It's simple. If any young one asks why we don't have a No. 42, we can explain about respect.

To bugger around giving it to a new kid each year is BS and meaningless. To give it to a particular person to keep just creates constant comparisons with a legend that no one would be able to live up to.

Leave it alone.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

i love wearing the number on my jumper and i often get asked whose number it is. i'd like to see the number running around the footy field again.

even though everyone who passes through a footy club contributes to its history and heritage, the footy club is bigger than any one player. millane's deeds and legacy have been perpetuated in an annual trophy. he won't ever be forgotten at the club.
To give it to a particular person to keep just creates constant comparisons with a legend that no one would be able to live up to.
this was part of the argument that was had when maxwell was given the no. 5 guernsey. and, on another no.5 didn't hawthorn retire peter crimmins' no.5 for a period and then reinstate it?
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
Yeah, the hawks retired 5 with the thought of giving it to one of his sons, but neither made the grade.

A key difference between Pants and Bucks is that Bucks had just retired, everyone knew what he could do.

Millane's deeds have now become almost mythological. People wouldn't be compared with him but with his legend.

We've got an infinite amount of numbers to choose from and a finite amount of footballers. 1 number being unavailable doesn't hurt anyone.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Collingwood 4 eternity

Post by Collingwood 4 eternity »

jmcp wrote:i love wearing the number on my jumper and i often get asked whose number it is. i'd like to see the number running around the footy field again.

even though everyone who passes through a footy club contributes to its history and heritage, the footy club is bigger than any one player. millane's deeds and legacy have been perpetuated in an annual trophy. he won't ever be forgotten at the club.
To give it to a particular person to keep just creates constant comparisons with a legend that no one would be able to live up to.
this was part of the argument that was had when maxwell was given the no. 5 guernsey. and, on another no.5 didn't hawthorn retire peter crimmins' no.5 for a period and then reinstate it?
Yes , At the start of the 1993 season Andrew Collins who originaly wore the number 4 , changed to 5 after Hawthorn were sure that neither of Crimmins sons , Ben nor Sam , would take up an AFL career.

Is the Ben Crimmins that works at the Collingwood / Westpac Centre , the same Ben Crimmins ?
1990 Grand Final :
"From the back pocket, this will be probably the last kick, he need not even kick it, the drought is over. 32 years they've waited, let the celebrations begin" Sandy Roberts