#12 Joshua Carmichael

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

You all get your chance to see Josh as Fly has said he’ll play in VFL game on Sunday against Casey
It’s on Channel 7 at 2 pm Sunday
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Thought,s on the kids first VFL game
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He was pretty good today. We need to remember this kids routine was turned on its head a week ago. It’s not easy settling into a new state, walking into a new club and playing your best footy on debut.
He’s a true inside mid. He cracks in and led a near game high 10 tackles ( behind C Brown with 12 ) to go with his 21 possessions. Ran all day and took an opponent at most stoppages ( he spent time on senior player Luke Dunstan today ) He’s not a polished player but he reminded me of a bigger Jai Newcombe at the hawks who was picked up in last years M S D.
His upside should be significant because he’s never come through an elite training program. Reckon he will be a much improved player after his first preseason
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Granted I was watching the game in between doing washing and preparing dinner, but I didn't notice him at all. Statistically he did pretty well, good disposal and tackle numbers.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

When he tackles they stick

One where he tackled an opponent and carried him across the boundary was classic full wrap around and slide tackle (not sling) it was brutal (McCreery like)
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

He was one of the best, in a pretty average game. Needs work, but looks pretty solid and will be an upgrade on C Brown.
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 22 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Our 3rd goal (Wetering) was from Carmichael outmuscling two Casey players and toe-poking the ball forward. Not bad for a young bloke who hasn't even started an AFL-level weights program.
From about 8:30:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5018695001
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

There was a piece of play where th Casey Dee player broke away and as he went to deliver to another Dee Josh threw himself on to his boot and we gained pocession of a loose ball
That ex Hawk Brown who was commentary said “That’s a sure way for him to gain respect of his new team mates”

Work in progress but that said so are a few others and that’s what Fly keeps saying
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Sounds like a pretty damn good debut, considering he's only just landed in Melbourne. If he keeps up this form I reckon he'd be a real chance to get a senior game a week or so after the bye. The good thing is he already has a physically mature body. He already looks a better prospect than Tyler Brown.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Liked the look of him.

If Fly was to look for an obnballer, someone who can win the ball, read the play, plays straight, can tackle and a good kick.

He would have been rapt with Carmichael today

Whatever his limitations, his upside looks fantastic, he still has a lot of scope to improve.

Yday he just played his natural role,. not used to the system and with some newbies in there, the system was compromised anyway. So all in all, in a slog, he looked as good as you'd hope.

If Tyler Brown gets a game, Carmichael will get a game

Add some professional training and a pre-season or two.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

Seemed somewhat anxious (understandably) early in the game and a turnover resulted in a goal against the Pies.

However, kept cracking in and is a very solid tackler- does the team things well (smothering, chasing, manning-up, unrewarded running to make position to receive). On this score, I rated his match in the 'very good' region.

As others have sagely noted, this was his first outing for his new club with new teammates, new system, difficult opponents in difficult conditions.

It is not a stretch to imagine this lad being a lock in the starting 22 by Round One next year.

From what I saw yesterday: Will Kelly, McMahon, McRae and Poulter will be joining him- even in a beating such as we received at the hands of Casey there are very positive signs of growth and improvement.

Callum Brown continues to exhibit the qualities that should see him inherit Taylor Adams role soon- an in and under midfielder who is a genuine rover in the old-school mould.

I know there are many who do not rate the lad, but I genuinely believe that his best senior football is ahead of him; I just hope it is with the Pies.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

He was at the start a little lost and that kick across goal which cost a goal but hey there b more experience players done that type of mistake

From there he grew and kept getting from contest to contest

Yes he has real upside tho let him acclimatise to our system & the blokes he plays with

He would be in the queue for AFL selection but not at the front just yet

I liked what I saw and expect Fly & Leppa would have had the queue in their sights
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

warburton lad wrote:Seemed somewhat anxious (understandably) early in the game and a turnover resulted in a goal against the Pies.

However, kept cracking in and is a very solid tackler- does the team things well (smothering, chasing, manning-up, unrewarded running to make position to receive). On this score, I rated his match in the 'very good' region.

As others have sagely noted, this was his first outing for his new club with new teammates, new system, difficult opponents in difficult conditions.

It is not a stretch to imagine this lad being a lock in the starting 22 by Round One next year.

From what I saw yesterday: Will Kelly, McMahon, McRae and Poulter will be joining him- even in a beating such as we received at the hands of Casey there are very positive signs of growth and improvement.

Callum Brown continues to exhibit the qualities that should see him inherit Taylor Adams role soon- an in and under midfielder who is a genuine rover in the old-school mould.

I know there are many who do not rate the lad, but I genuinely believe that his best senior football is ahead of him; I just hope it is with the Pies.
Question for me is can Callum Brown earn a spot on the list for next year. Personally I’d give him another contract. Carmichael and he could work in tandem in the middle of the ground. Maybe then play Adams behind the ball, like Pendlebury.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Josh looked like a natural footballer yesterday and he had the attitude to succeed and be better. Get the kid doing deadlifts and he’ll be a beast. One highlight in a very miserable day to be honest.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
warburton lad wrote:Seemed somewhat anxious (understandably) early in the game and a turnover resulted in a goal against the Pies.

Question for me is can Callum Brown earn a spot on the list for next year. Personally I’d give him another contract. Carmichael and he could work in tandem in the middle of the ground. Maybe then play Adams behind the ball, like Pendlebury.
Adams behind the ball? You really want Adams distributing off the half back line? Recipe for disaster