#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

I've done my bit.... stalked out his fb page and asked him to stay :)

That should do it 8)

:lol:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Ev5Magpies

Post by Ev5Magpies »

swoop42 wrote:If he wants to leave for Brisbane so be it though it's not the best outcome trade or personnel wise.

Most likely we'll have to settle for pick 41 which ironically was originally our own as Brisbane with pick 1 could get him for Zilch via the PSD.

Better he choose the dogs and we package him up with a future 3rd and aim for there 2nd round selection.
Not necessarily. If we are after Michael Close as a KPF, then could be a straight swap with other draft picks swapped?
Ohhhh the premierships a cakewalk for the good old COLLINGWOOD
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

Ev5Magpies wrote: Not necessarily. If we are after Michael Close as a KPF, then could be a straight swap with other draft picks swapped?
Does that get us anywhere though? I suppose that Close is a bit younger but I have no idea about his upside. Reckon Cox has some improvement in him yet
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Skids wrote:I've done my bit.... stalked out his fb page and asked him to stay :)

That should do it 8)

I've corresponded with him in the early days on instgram too. He knows we love him. He has to stay. He's our cult hero!
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Skids wrote:I've done my bit.... stalked out his fb page and asked him to stay :)

That should do it 8)

Me too. Certain to stay now.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies2016 wrote:The other thing that comes to mind, is that club hopping in American sports is a way of life. He hasn't been brought up understanding the respect and adulation that comes with being a one club player.
At Brisbane, he's the heir apparent sooner than later and probably being offered more money also. I get the feeling he would enjoy being a ruckman more than a forward too, so IF that is right, Brisbane would seem like a good fit for his future in footy.
I'm preparing for the worst scenario already.
A point i made previously.

American culture is different, athletes change teams and are traded to teams with no say in it. Loyalty is not a factor.

it will completely depend on what he values and what he wants. In his situation, I'd be looking at where am I going to get the most games if the money was comparable.

I hope he stays and we play him.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

My reading of things only, but it will probably be Cox for Michael Close...
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
woftam
Has liked: 1 time

Post by woftam »

MagpieBat wrote:My reading of things only, but it will probably be Cox for Michael Close...
Makes sense because that's the sort of dumb arse trading we have been known for the last couple of years. Cox is worth way more than Close.
Keep him pies or regret it big time.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

MagpieBat wrote:My reading of things only, but it will probably be Cox for Michael Close...
23 yr old, 197cm full forward, played 10 games this year for 8 goals in a bottom team.

Does he have the goods? He has the right age and size profile to build a forward line going forward, but.............
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Member 7167 wrote:After all the time and effort in developing this player it would be disappointing and a poor reward to see him move on when he is showing some good signs.

If we realised that this would have happened I believe that the club would not have drafted him in the first place. All the pain and little of the gain.
What development? He played VFL most of the season and this is what you get when you play guys like Blair in preference to Cox. We have ourselves to blame for this one. You can't blame Cox for wanting to play AFL.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

I don't pretend to know much about him (do any of us) but it's hard to see him being a difference maker at present and I'd rather pick 41.

Much better than Gault?
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Maybe we can trade him for a 180cm inside mid so we can add to our midfield depth. We love midfield depth you know more important than trying to play 2 guys over 200cm in the 1 team.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:
23 yr old, 197cm full forward, played 10 games this year for 8 goals in a bottom team.

Does he have the goods? He has the right age and size profile to build a forward line going forward, but.............
I spoke to Qld Lions supporter who knows his footy ( I know, it's a contradiction of terms ) and he reckons Close is an interesting case.
Has played at both ends. Doesn't get a lot of the ball but does most things well when he gets it. He doesn't like him kicking for goal, so he reckons he is better suited to the back line. Strong Mark. He had a reco a while ago and recently worked his way back into the team.
Hardly a ringing endorsement, particularly if Cox ends up being part of the deal.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Pay this guy what the market demands. So much upside. If we lose Coxy we will regret it big time. The sky is the limit for this guy. 7ft dudes which so much natural ability who can play ruck and forward don't grow on trees
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:After all the time and effort in developing this player it would be disappointing and a poor reward to see him move on when he is showing some good signs.

If we realised that this would have happened I believe that the club would not have drafted him in the first place. All the pain and little of the gain.
What development? He played VFL most of the season and this is what you get when you play guys like Blair in preference to Cox. We have ourselves to blame for this one. You can't blame Cox for wanting to play AFL.
We did not play Blair in preference to Cox. We played Blair in preference to Mayne (who was Gubby Allan's dud purchase) and in preference to Brown, Daicos and Kirby who weren't ready until late in the season.

We played no-one in preference to Cox (i.e. Moore was our sole tall forward for about eight games) and then we played Reid as a forward in preference to Cox. It is much easier to justify the inclusion of Blair as a chosen small forward than to justify the exclusion of Mason Cox as a tall forward when we desperately needed one.
Born and raised in Black and White