#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

It's a game of bluff by his management seeking more dollars. He isn't worth mega bucks and if the Bears really want him then show us the draft picks.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

dalyc wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:Funny to see people who said he should never play for Collingwood again a few weeks ago suddenly saying we must keep him...

Its yet another of Buckleys failures that Cox was spending so much time in the VFL whilst we struggled for KPFs...
Or it's a measure of Buckley's nous that he dropped him back to the reserves so he could build confidence, fitness, and skills.
Buckley stuffed him over by dropping him a few times. But remember all the players want to play for Buckley. Yes that is right.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

A straight swap for D. Beams would be fine
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

eddiesmith wrote:Funny to see people who said he should never play for Collingwood again a few weeks ago suddenly saying we must keep him...

Its yet another of Buckleys failures that Cox was spending so much time in the VFL whilst we struggled for KPFs...
Cox was and potentially still is a development player. It is obvious that they have played him in the VFL to help him learn the game without the pressure and expectations of AFL. The have plugged him in and out of the team at various times so as to assess his progress. At the same time they have been developing other players and changing roles so that our team can support and get the most from having 3 talls. The experiment failed dismally earlier as the ball was being spoilt and was being slingshot back out of our F50 very quickly as we did not have the ability to crumb effectively. Recent games seem to indicate that we have successfully addressed this problem.

I find it extraordinary that you literally twist everything so that it reflects badly on the club and Buckley. You must be really enjoying the experience.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

If he leaves will he be playing first ruck? I can't see that happening, so it's a money decision?
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

^^Would only be behind Stefan Martin who is over 30. So some chance.
Well done boys!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Culprit wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:Off to Brissy according to SEN
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/29/ ... -the-coop/
This is the same Brian Waldron who said Lever is coming to the Pies.

If he'd credible and right on both, I'd take that.
Well done boys!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Coxy is on an Aussie adventure so to go to another city would make sense but please don't go big guy. The coffee up there is crap and So is the beer!
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

He'd be giving up his profile being with a club like Collingwood, opportunities outside football, Anzac Day, a non-AFL state, big crowds...
Est. 2002
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

I thought he was hooked up with Sharni Layton from the Magpies netball side?

Maybe that's gone poof (the sound not the homophobic slur) and he needs some space?

Don't do it big fella.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect we were almost happy to let him go up until a month ago, so we probably did not offer him much dosh. However, his senior performances over the last month has demonstrated just how important he could become, especially in the last game working in tandem with Grundy. I reckon his value would have doubled from that last game alone. Let's hope bridges weren't burnt earlier when we didn't rate him. All stops must be pulled out now to ensure he remains on our list. To lose him now after spending 3 years teaching him the game would be disastrous.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

If he wants to leave for Brisbane so be it though it's not the best outcome trade or personnel wise.

Most likely we'll have to settle for pick 41 which ironically was originally our own as Brisbane with pick 1 could get him for Zilch via the PSD.

Better he choose the dogs and we package him up with a future 3rd and aim for there 2nd round selection.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

After all the time and effort in developing this player it would be disappointing and a poor reward to see him move on when he is showing some good signs.

If we realised that this would have happened I believe that the club would not have drafted him in the first place. All the pain and little of the gain.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The other thing that comes to mind, is that club hopping in American sports is a way of life. He hasn't been brought up understanding the respect and adulation that comes with being a one club player.
At Brisbane, he's the heir apparent sooner than later and probably being offered more money also. I get the feeling he would enjoy being a ruckman more than a forward too, so IF that is right, Brisbane would seem like a good fit for his future in footy.
I'm preparing for the worst scenario already.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Let me get this right, after Cox had only heard of the AFL a couple years ago, you reckon Buckley made a blue by not playing him more often.
Being 7 foot tall doesn't automatically guarantee you success in this game, you still have to learn a bit about it before you play it at the elite level.