#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

You could have bumped the thread that listed Cox as a must be delisted player...

Very underrated by some Collingwood fans and as others have said, he offers things Grundy doesnt. Must keep and a decent coach would have him in the team every week
Coxie29

Post by Coxie29 »

I rate big Coxy, but let's face it we need to be aggressive in the off season and focus on KPPs. If the Tigers & Hawks are interested, we should listen to what they've got to offer. I don't see Grundy & Cox fitting into the same side and I think our priorities lie elsewhere.
i don't know how to put this but...

I'm kind of a big deal.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

That's good information. It would be nice if our priorities lie.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

RudeBoy wrote:For our last game next week, I'd rest Reid - who looks buggered and failed to have any impact yesterday - and play Cox up forward as the resting ruckman changing with Grundy.
good call.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
john b

Post by john b »

Room for both next year. Cox FF rotating ruck, Moore CHF also pinch hitting in ruck. Reid back to CHB. Easy done
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

john b wrote:Room for both next year. Cox FF rotating ruck, Moore CHF also pinch hitting in ruck. Reid back to CHB. Easy done
Yeah, that's about right. However, there's a little birdy in my ear telling me we should let Cox go as he won't ever be much better than what he is. Then there's another telling me if he goes elsewhere he'll win a Brownlow. Go figure. :?
Adam Treloar 3 Votes

Post by Adam Treloar 3 Votes »

If Cox wanted to go for greater opportunities at another club and provided they were prepared to offer up fair compensation given all the work the club has invested in him then we should trade him IMO. But we would need to get a second round draft pick for him otherwise what's the point.
People forget that our last premiership was only 2010 and rebuilds take some time. 2018 we play finals again.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

Lets say Cox decides to leave to another club on an average salary ($350k per year) over the course of 3 years. What happens with us seeing as he is an international rookie?

Do we get compensation as a restricted free agent?

Are we in a position to trade him ourselves?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

ad4eva wrote:Lets say Cox decides to leave to another club on an average salary ($350k per year) over the course of 3 years. What happens with us seeing as he is an international rookie?

Today's paper reported that he has a Collingwood contract offer of around $650,000 pa. If that's true, then he aint going to anyone else for a lousy $350,000 pa.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

RudeBoy wrote:
ad4eva wrote:Lets say Cox decides to leave to another club on an average salary ($350k per year) over the course of 3 years. What happens with us seeing as he is an international rookie?

Today's paper reported that he has a Collingwood contract offer of around $650,000 pa. If that's true, then he aint going to anyone else for a lousy $350,000 pa.
If that is true id be staggered. $650k for a backup ruckman who is getting another contract put forward based on potential.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Regardless of the final number, we need to wrap our head around that what was a $500,000 contract this year, is the equal of around $650,000 next year with the new bargaining agreement in place. Still a truck load of money for a bloke who has very little form behind him.
It's becoming virtually impossible to keep two quality ruckman on the same list these days. Completely understandable but that makes the likes of Casboult ( just an example only ) even more valuable because they are genuine KPFs who can ruck effectively when required.
We have Moore but I would prefer him to stay forward and send someone else into the ruck when Grundy isn't competing.

I think the best chance of keeping Cox happy is to have him focus on developing as a forward in the off season and aim for Moore and Cox as the two tall targets with four high pressure small forwards around them.
If he continues to hold his marks, then at least the ball isn't leaving our own forward fifty.
I'm not convinced it will solve all our forward line problems but why would he stay ( other than being offered overs ) if Collingwood continue to groom him as a ruckman first
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Moving Cox on would be a stupid move because that would leave us with no back up. He's developing well and is coming along in leaps and bounds. He's performing exceptionally well and even dominating in the vfl, while his senior form has improved a great deal since taking over the number one ruck role from grundy this past fortnight. Hopefully he's done enough to show the club just how important he is to the side and with another preseason, who knows what he could be.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

Lets keep in mind he only started playing the game 2 years ago. 2016 was his first season of footy at any level, the rate of improvement in that period is phenomenal.

With that frame he's always going to be outbodied in contested situations, but if can get a run at it, he can jump and with that height added to a leap, he gets hands on the ball.

He's shown he's smart and a quick learner, he will try to palm the ball to a team mate rather than mark if he can't get both arms up.

A forward line of Moore and Coz as the talls with the options of Faz, Billy, De Go Go, Brown, Daicos, Broomhead, Kirby etc as a small brigade, several of whom can take a mark themselves has serious potential.

Just need a forward line plan for them to work to and a midfield that knows what the forwards are doing and can hit targets.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
4everpies

Post by 4everpies »

ad4eva wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

If that is true id be staggered. $650k for a backup ruckman who is getting another contract put forward based on potential.
I think the $650,000 quoted in the HS article was for Grundy's contract, not Mason's.

I also want to know if we get anything for him, because he's a rookie who was upgraded because of Sinclair's LTI.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

Wouldn't he just like any other player out of contract with one on the table?

1. Sign with Collingwood
2. Get traded
3. Go into the draft.

If he goes into the draft he can put a price on his head, if we trade him we only get what we accept.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.