Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Jack Ginnivan has two more weeks of training in order to dig in and show the Club he is ready for selection criteria come round 3.

But his football craft is only part of the selection process. If he continues to flaunt what is acceptable behaviour with hubristic alacrity, then he'll quickly find himself on the outer of not only the Club, but what are acceptable lifestyle traits.

Macrae has shown remarkable traits himself by bringing his players under his wing.
Ginni needs to pull his head in, and lean into Macraes guidance, nothing surer.
Talent alone is no longer a get out of jail free pass.

Our Club is maturing, and may it long continue. If we continue to keep our culture bar high, our Club will prosper under both Macrae and the new management that is guiding us.

Ginnivan may well be a prodigious talent, but his lifestyle nous is at poles to his football nous.
We can't afford another Stephenson repeat.
I look forward to seeing him mature and delivering on his on field potential.

With Bobby Hill lighting the team and the crowd up Round 1 in the best possible way, the challenge has been cast for Ginni's to meet this head on.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

LaurieHolden wrote:Jack Ginnivan has two more weeks of training in order to dig in and show the Club he is ready for selection criteria come round 3.

But his football craft is only part of the selection process. If he continues to flaunt what is acceptable behaviour with hubristic alacrity, then he'll quickly find himself on the outer of not only the Club, but what are acceptable lifestyle traits.

Macrae has shown remarkable traits himself by bringing his players under his wing.
Ginni needs to pull his head in, and lean into Macraes guidance, nothing surer.
Talent alone is no longer a get out of jail free pass.

Our Club is maturing, and may it long continue. If we continue to keep our culture bar high, our Club will prosper under both Macrae and the new management that is guiding us.

Ginnivan may well be a prodigious talent, but his lifestyle nous is at poles to his football nous.
We can't afford another Stephenson repeat.
I look forward to seeing him mature and delivering on his on field potential.

With Bobby Hill lighting the team and the crowd up Round 1 in the best possible way, the challenge has been cast for Ginni's to meet this head on.
A bit heavy isn’t it. The kid made one mistake in the off season and was caught, put his hand up immediately and owned the responsibility, copped his punishment.
We should be welcoming and supportive. I’m sure he and the club know what he needs to do. Comparing him with Stephenson is unfair and not deserved IMO.

The more important question in my view is where does he line up in our first 22?
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

Ginny as a 19 year old was amazing in 2022.
Question is on Friday's performance, who does he replace in the side?

Hill - no
McCreery - no
Jordy - no
Elliott - maybe, but no
Daicos - no
Sidebottom - no
WHE - no

Any suggestions?
piffdog
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

mattdally wrote: Elliott - maybe, but no
maybe? No way - not any time soon. More likely to replace Checkers as the season wears on. If they are using WHE in the defensive/wing rotation, I don't think it will be him either.

He may well spend his first week post-suspension in the twos and we see what unfolds from there. There will be some ups and downs with injury (hopeflly only niggles) - because that always happens - and maybe that's where he gets his chance?

Problem he has got is that while he has a unique goal sense, I don't know if he brings enough "other" to his game (chase, pressure, tackle, speed). If Hill can get a run at it, I think he has all the things Ginni has, but is also quick and can jump.

Going to be a fascinating watch - and maybe, just maybe, that will be the best thing for Jack. Given all his commentary about people doubting him just spurring him on, he may well have to draw on that motivation just to get back into the team and may well be the driver of him becoming exceptional (could he be a Toby Greene type in 5 years??)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

A bit heavy isn’t it. The kid made one mistake in the off season and was caught, put his hand up immediately and owned the responsibility, copped his punishment.
We should be welcoming and supportive.
  • Rating women on TikTok June '22
    Sexually suggestive selfies Sept '22
    Illicit and banned substances Jan '23 (during a pre-season camp)
He didn't put his hand up, he was exposed, let's not conflate the actions.

Welcoming and supportive is already there, the question remains does he understand why the support is required, and is he mature enough to accept it.
If he continues to make poor decisions in the future, it could ultimately cost him is place at the footy club. Nobody wants that to happen.
Ginni already has his detractors amongst the playing group re his attitude.
Darcy Moore was quoted "the vast majority of the people at the club take the job seriously" it was fairly well targeted.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/we-dont- ... -c-9807459

And if anyone continues to peddle the soft line, "he's just a kid", well don't expect him to evolve under the Macrae system nor what is now considered acceptable behaviour for an AFL player or a young man. Ginni needs to read the room outside of his own head. Time will tell.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

^ We’ll have to agree to disagree.

The reaction he’s copped is way OTT in my view and disproportionate to the transgressions.

The use of terms such as “soft” or conversely “hard” is not a useful way to see things in my view. Positive reinforcement for good behaviour (so to speak) is always the surest way to change behaviour.

He’s copped so much flack & overreaction so far that I don’t think we need to add to it.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Once Jack Ginnivan is fit and ready to play who is “dropped” for him?
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

I can't see who makes way for him.
Hill has his spot and he has three things Ginny does not have - pace, tackling pressure and he can take a screamer.

He is an excitement machine - X-factor.
mattdally

Post by mattdally »

piffdog wrote:
mattdally wrote: Elliott - maybe, but no
maybe? No way - not any time soon.
Agreed, Elliott didn't have his best game on Friday night. Was probably one of his worst in a long time. He has the runs on the board though, so would not drop him on the back of that performance.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Well we're two weeks away from worrying about whether Ginni makes claim for a starting spot, so we can pause on this until post the Port match.
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

mattdally wrote:I can't see who makes way for him.
Hill has his spot and he has three things Ginny does not have - pace, tackling pressure and he can take a screamer.

He is an excitement machine - X-factor.
Disagree: He has tackling pressure. I’m wondering how to fit him in with Hill. He’s an incredible “natural” footballer with an innate footy brain who is too good not to have in the team in my view.
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 166 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We need to consider a couple extra layers when discussing Ginnivans inevitable return. Firstly, he didn’t come back in particularly great shape. Secondly, the gash on his knee prevented him from training for about a fortnight and thirdly, he’s had no match conditioning for a month. I would be a bit surprised if we were to see him any earlier than round 5 (injuries aside)
It’s not like we’ve had trouble kicking a score without him ( small sample of course )
Hopefully, he’s been set a mini pre season block of training. Now is the best time to run him into the ground while he doesn’t have to spend any time rehabbing and recovering after a game load.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Correct. For 2022, Ginni averaged 1.48 tackles per game.
Elliott by comparison sat at 3.47 avg, and McCreery at a 3.91 avg.
Bobby layed 3 in his first game, with 318 meters gained. Nice output for a small forward.

Both instictively hunt the ball, but in different ways.
Hill is blessed with pace, something Ginni doesn't have in his repetoire, and that doesn't allow him to deliver the same level of tackling pressure as Hill posseses.

Ginnivan's slide in draft rankings were reflective of his defensive pressure and ability to evolve from a pure forward.
The attribute he excels with is evasive attributes and footy IQ as an opportunist.
And that was on display Round 6 last year, they don't hand out ANZAC day medals to just anyone.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:^ We’ll have to agree to disagree.

The reaction he’s copped is way OTT in my view and disproportionate to the transgressions.

The use of terms such as “soft” or conversely “hard” is not a useful way to see things in my view. Positive reinforcement for good behaviour (so to speak) is always the surest way to change behaviour.

He’s copped so much flack & overreaction so far that I don’t think we need to add to it.
I agree. That TikToc thing was bullshit once you understood what was going on.

Who he replaces in the side is a valid question though.
It won't be Billy, Beau plays a specific role, Mitchell and Tay take up a spot between them and Bobby doesn't deserve to be dropped, for me the most vulnerable is WHE
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Big T »

A week is a long time in football...
Buon Giorno