Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Warbler

Post by Warbler »

I think it's a fantastic idea !!
If each draft choice who wears it thinks about Millanes legacy , then they can only become better players because of it .
On the jumper retirement - if it's retired it's forgotten
- this way his memory is kept alive
and if only one player is inspired to play like Darren then it's worth it
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Well after listening to MMM news and they have come out and said the family is against it, all I can say is I'm shattered that Eddie & Co has gone and done this against their will.

I like the idea, but if it's against the families wishes then forget it.

Report in the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 61,00.html

Quoted: Collingwood yesterday denied it had not adequately considered the Millane family in its plans for the guernsey.

"We certainly advised the family. Obviously it's an emotional issue for them," Magpies football manager Neil Balme said.

"As I understood it, they're happy with what we're doing.

"We think it's a fantastic way to perpetuate his memory more than anything else."

Someones telling Porkys then :roll:
JLC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by JLC »

Very disappointing to say the least.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I just think it is un-necessary to bring all of it up again and in this way.

Surely the club should be focussing on other things... and at the same time what about the undue pressure that would be put on these first round draft picks.

I think it is just stupid - we're not running out of numbers and I'm sure in the Hall of Fame at Olympic Park there would be plenty done in Darren's memory.

Are we that desperate for publicity? To me it has cheapened Darren Millane into some gimmick and it reeks of tackiness IMO.

Jen
HANDS OFF OUR JUMPER

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
No. 35

Post by No. 35 »

:shock: I cannot believe they went ahead without the Millane's wishes.

Disgraceful and unnecessary.
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

I've been literally leaning one way and then the other and then back again on this subject! If the Millane family had either come up with the idea of bringing back Darren's jumper or were at least happy about it - I'd go along and even think it wasn't such a bad idea. After all, I think it would be nice to see the 42 running around the ground again rather than catching dust and what an incentive for a young guy to do well. And from my memories of Darren I honestly think he would be all for it.

BUT if the Millane family were not consulted and are not happy with the decision then as far as I'm concerned, that's it - no argument - the number stays in retirement. I'll be really disappointed if Collingwood go ahead and bring the no.42 guernsey back without the Millanes' blessings.

GO PIES!
Marg
colt

Post by colt »

I am disgusted and disappointed that Collingwood were going to do this without the approval of the Millane family :shock:
The No. 42 was retired and given to the family in the memory of their son, how dare they go back on their word now :x

Be very careful Collingwood, don't turn the people against you :!:
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

I think it is a good idea that has not been handled well. The idea to present the jumper each year to the top draft pick as an award is a good one. Before it was announced, they should have got the Millane family on side. Sounds like this wasnt done adequately.
Magpie 42

Post by Magpie 42 »

What a terrible, terrible thing for the Millane family to have to go through all over again. Daily they deal with the loss of their son/brother, and now the club that claims to look after the Collingwood family do this to them.

I cant believe the club would treat them like this. It is an absolute disgrace and a disappointment to know this is how the Club makes decisions.

Sure I understand ppls responses of it being an honour and keeping Pants name alive for future generations, but surely this is not the right way to go about it.

:(
Daks

Post by Daks »

i used to think that it was astupid idea to let our number 1 pick each year wear Millanes Number 42. however, now i'm thinking differently. the number 42 has been rested for what?... 11 years? i'm sure that Millane would want someone else to wear his number.... as it was said in the paper, not everones number can be rested.... Bobby Rose and Browny were much better players than Millane was.. and were theyre numbers rested? i just think that the Millane family are being un reasonable and should just let the number go...
Blanch

Post by Blanch »

As stated previously I think it's a great idea. However, if (and it's a big IF) that article is correct and the family are not behind it then what the hell are you thinking ed? The family should have been squared away with this LONG before anything went anywhere near public.

I pray that the article is just a furfy. If not a backlash is awaiting. Please Ed, tell me Balme's not telling porkies about the family being happy about it. Great ideas handled in the wrong way will always be BAD decisions. Of all the business minds we have at the club surely someone knows that!
My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Joel

Post by Joel »

It's as simple as this, if the family don't want it, I don't want it, if the family want it, I want it.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

have only just read all 6 pages on this topic.

I'll leave the for and against argument - as they have all been covered.

I'm amazed at the process the club has gone thru. Another blunder, (along with the membership issue) with the Millane family publicly indicating they do not support it.

Its becoming clear the club is indeed making decisions that are unpopular and even difficult to fathom. Even worse they dont understand sensitive issues and how to handle them.

Should the #42 be re used ?
I dont know, but given that someone at the club had a brain wave, and the family werent in approval, perhaps they could have let this decision ride for another 12 months. Spoken to the family on an ongoing basis, and perhaps in 12 months time it could have been different.

Shoddy work.

I haven't been to too many games were supporters pine to see the 42 running around. I have been involved in LOTS of footy chat about the great Millane.

Wot was the urgency in releasing this grand plan ? and why release it knowing a public relations disaster is going to occur with the Millane family not endorsing it?

I enjoy laughing at OTHER clubs silly public relations fiascos, why is our club trying its hardest to screw up.

The membership issue didnt make the papers - otherwise we would totally be viewed as a club of the rails.

At some stage people (members) are going to have to ask WHO is accountable for these blunders.
The only way to discover the limits of the possible, is to go beyond them, to the impossible.
Sultan of spin

Post by Sultan of spin »

I thought this was a bad idea in the beginning but now to hear that it is against the wishes of the family i am mortified. I know it might be embarassing for the club if they are forced to do a back flip but surely it is just commonsense if the family don't want it & the majority of supporters don't want it then DON'T DO IT.
dilly5

Post by dilly5 »

I would question the club's decision if the family really were against it, but tessa and bones, I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that because the staff haven't been involved with Collingwood their whole life (it's ultimately a business- unfortunately we can't have all Collingwood people-- and anyway, two words: Tony Shaw) that they wouldn't be as sensitive to the issue as anybody else, or wouldn't understand such a tragic loss as profoundly as 'Collingwood' people.

If they've made a decision most disagree with then so be it-- it has nothing to do with any sinister allegiances.