#5 Jamie Elliott

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

No.37 should be permanently retired out of respect for A. Hyrsoulakis...
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

MagpieBat wrote:Numbers now vacant:

2, 3, 14, 19, 21, 25, 27, 29, 31, 35, 37

Depending on what Krakouer wants to do, he might now switch to his dad's old #3, like he originally intended, or stay with #7.
No way Krakouer will switch to #3 again, not after what happened last time. Out of respect to his other knee, Krak will stay with 7.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Clemo wrote:
Fire Up wrote:elliott will get #3. q stick gets #35 (as he was 1st player signed to us for 2013)
I'm sure the #35 doesn't go to recycled players :?:
Collingwood set a very bad precedent last year, giving Jaime the 35. Although not a recycled player, he was taken in a trade.

However, the 'legacy' of Presti is probably better worn on a younger new player.

To me though, it's a number so I can identify the player on the field... don't care who wears 35 or 2.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

I would like to see the precedent set with Fasolo followed, i.e. giving low numbers to players expected to have long futures with the club. I especially don't want to see Russell, who is a top up player who may not play at all if Williams and Keeffe live up to last year's promise, given #2.

My suggestions would be 2. Elliot 3. Seedsman 14. Williams 19. Young 21 Lynch 25 Draft Pick 19 27. Draft pick 21 29 Draft pick 37 31 Russell 35 Draft pick 18 37. Whoever is chosen to fill the final vacancy. Seedsman's #40 would go to one of the rookies.
Born and raised in Black and White
tomoleary

Post by tomoleary »

Krakouer wore 3 for one match and did his ACL.

John Macarthy wore 3 throughout his time at Collingwood.

Ryan Lonie wore 3: a player that promised to much but failed to live up to expectation. However in 2003, the year he played so well and promised so much he had been wearing 37.

Mark Richardson wore it for 7 seasons before Lonie. Richardson was promising early in his career but once he switched to number 3 he was plagued by injury and never lived up to his potential.

Dermott Brereton wore number 3 for 1 inglorious season.

Before that it was Mick Gayfer. I can't really comment on Mick. Not sure if he lived up to his potential or not?

My gut feeling is the number 3 should never be used again by Collingwood. It appears to hamper all that wear it. Krakouer even said himself that it's cursed, when he switched back to 7.

The number 35 on the other hand appears to have special powers. Fasolo definitely played better in it and Elliott also did really well on debut, and we all know who's worn 35 before.

25 should work for Jamie.
makri
Been liked: 2 times

Post by makri »

Legacy of Presti?????

The #35 will always stand for one P Daicos.
skaman
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by skaman »

Dont like this #35 jumper situation at all. Cheapens my memory of Daics and Presti. Let the players decide and let them make the number and jumper THEIRS to make history!
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
The Average Tourist

Post by The Average Tourist »

tomoleary wrote:Krakouer wore 3 for one match and did his ACL.

Ryan Lonie wore 3: a player that promised to much but failed to live up to expectation. However in 2003, the year he played so well and promised so much he had been wearing 37.

Mark Richardson wore it for 7 seasons before Lonie. Richardson was promising early in his career but once he switched to number 3 he was plagued by injury and never lived up to his potential.

Before that it was Mick Gayfer. I can't really comment on Mick. Not sure if he lived up to his potential or not?

My gut feeling is the number 3 should never be used again by Collingwood. It appears to hamper all that wear it. Krakouer even said himself that it's cursed, when he switched back to 7.

The number 35 on the other hand appears to have special powers. Fasolo definitely played better in it and Elliott also did really well on debut, and we all know who's worn 35 before.

Showing my age but Did Mick Gayfer live up to his potential???

He exceeded his potential to become a Premiership Player.

Loved the Gayf

He kicke two goals in his career might have been when he was at Norf

But could he shut down a player

Him and Shane Morwood together talk about the odd couple
Bucks you just reckon he can still cut it in the middle
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Mick 'the blanket' Gayfer made the no.3 his own. Premiership player and the looks of a French model...
Shane Morwood - as reliable as Clement
No.37, simply the Hyrsoulakis factor once again, give that to our no.1 recruit.
No.35 should be put away permanently in respect to the great one.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

makri wrote:Legacy of Presti?????

The #35 will always stand for one P Daicos.
+ 1

The LEGEND!

What an amazing champion he was.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

The point about superstitions is that that's all they are. Gayfer played well above his natural ability for years. Before Gayf #3 had been worn by Greg Phillips and before that Stan Magro. Lots of good players wore #3.

#13 has a far worse record in recent years but Daisy Thomas has ended the "curse". In the thirty years before Daisy wore #13: The only two Collingwood players to die young through ill health (rather than misadventure) were Jamie Tape and Wayne Gordon, both wore #13, the only Collingwood player to go to jail for drug offenses, Brett Cooper wore #13, so did John Bourke the only player from any club silly enough to kick an umpire during a televised Reserves game; Alan Richardson, a guaranteed starter in the 1990 Grand Final, missed out after the Coach re-injured his shoulder while testing his fitness on the Thursday before the Grand Final - he wore #13, So did Neil Peart, Craig Jacotine and Andrew Ukovic all of whom played well in higher numbers and seemed to lose form and selection in the Firsts after have been given the number. Richie Cole was given #13 at the start of his career and never justified it.

When Daisy was given the number I held my breath, but clearly he has broken the curse, perhaps because it never really existed.
Born and raised in Black and White
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 312 times

Post by Jezza »

tomoleary wrote:Krakouer wore 3 for one match and did his ACL.

I actually thought Fasolo was a better player in 2012 than he was in 2011. He improved in all aspects of his game and he became more of a team player. However Fasolo in 2011 was still a joy to watch, especially in the match that we came back against Essendon and smashed them by 12 goals.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
tomoleary

Post by tomoleary »

Oh well... I hope you guys are right. It is weird though that certain numbers have had really strong histories and other numbers have had really poor histories. Hopefully it's all just co-incidence.

Hopefully someone can put the number 3 'curse' to bed as soon as they run out and play a match in it.

Perhaps Jamie can be the one?
mandy

Post by mandy »

Jordan Russell ‏@RustyRussell02
So excited with getting no.2 again & wearing the same number as my old mate @SRusling Can't wait to get started
#TEAMBUCKS
#TEAMEDDIE
#TEAMCOLLINGWOOD
#SIDEBYSIDE
sixpoints

Fox Football 360 & Jamie Elliott.

Post by sixpoints »

Tonight on Fox Football 360, Mark Robinson asks Gerard Whately, "who has stood out for you the most in the NAB Cup pre season?"
Whately replies, "Jamie Elliott of the Pies. He's gone from the sneak around forward who will bob up with a goal, to a legitimate mid field option"
"Good choice" says Robinson.
The lid is off!