Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:31 pm Not ours, but...

Wow, Will Ashcroft's good. Norm Smith, what, 6 weeks after returning from a knee reco?

If Levi >> Will, the way Nick >> Josh,
the other 17 clubs are in trouble...
Don’t worry, Levi is every bit as good. And they also have another who will get called out around #20 in this draft too ( Marshall ) The Suns and Lions are also very well set up for NGA talent in the next two drafts. So while we continue to make mockery of the Saints F / S and NGA carry on, both of those northern clubs will be the biggest winners out of the next couple drafts unless changes are made. Problem is, that suits the AFL just fine.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
K
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:43 pm
K wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:31 pm ...
If Levi >> Will, the way Nick >> Josh,
the other 17 clubs are in trouble...
Don’t worry, Levi is every bit as good. ...
Scary...

Bit puzzling too... First, why so good so early. Guys like Nick and Will arrive fully developed. Second, don't see this family dominance in international sports like soccer, tennis, etc.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^
K, the main difference in the generational talents vs “ run of the mill “ number one picks is professionalism and dedication ( including diet, rehab and optional sessions ) Most 17 year olds are simply having too much fun and balancing their social lives to be totally focussed on footy and nothing else. All #1 picks have god given talent but it’s the hard work and total focus that separates the best from the rest. Most mere mortals will improve over time once they enter an elite environment but there are also plenty who don’t.
Nick D, the Ashcrofts, Sam Walsh and occasional others, always had great reputations as totally dedicated athletes who sacrificed so much even as juniors, in order to be the best. You can’t be a teenager and get the footy thirty plus times every week in the AFL and not be super fit. We marvel at their skills but no one ever talks about the fitness required to get to all those contests.

I was in a conversation the other day and the comment was made that Harley Reid will leave the game a better player than Nick because he has so much more scope for improvement based on his expected improvement in application and commitment. That might be so but the question I asked in return, was if it means so much to him, then why haven’t we seen that in him already. Conversely, you could also argue that Nick therefore can’t get much better but the obvious retort becomes, regardless of improvement or not, one has already proven his professionalism, while the other hasn’t. Saying it and doing it have always been very different paths to travel.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

If we want to rage about the DVI index changes, look to St.Killda, the president (Andrew Bassat) has spent the whole year bemoaning to the AFL how 'unfair' it is that so many clubs are getting high end draft talent, He bailed up AFL board members at the grand final and said 'now they (Brisbane) get another number 1 pick'. The underlying arguemnt being St.kilda don't get any, I would argue that is just bad luck. Collingwood, Brisbane, Doggies have all had to pay fair value for these kids (we don't get them for free anymore) and yes...Brisbane won the premership and get another gun, guess what St.Kilda his (Levi) dad was a club champion....and his son wants to play at his dad club...too bad and good on him!

In a few years St.kilda might well have to worry about trying to bid for a number of Riewoldt boys...lets see if they still want to winge about the DVI then!!!
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Jen2310
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Skipping ahead a few years, I watched the 2024 multicultural game between Flying Boomerangs (Indigineous) and The World (NGA) yesterday.
We had 6 players particpating
5 of them via the NGA aspect playing for The World team
1 of them (Chris Egan's son) indigineous player participating in the Flying Boomerang team
These kids range between 14 or 15 years old. Some born in 2009, some in 2010 - Doesn't that make you feel old lol

I'm sure you've heard me talk about 2027 NGA prospect Eli Kravic before, well he impressed again yesterday. Kicking 3 goals from 5 shots on goal. Went into the ruck a little. Played up at FF and rolled down further the ground. Very mobile, pressures, can take a contested mark.
The kid is 184cm (at least from the measurements via the afl vic article) was the 2nd tallest on his team apart from the ruck. At 15 years old, thats probably normal. He's gonna be a big boy. Already is.

Here is a video from some of the others.
We have also an athletics national sprinter star in Cooper Brancatisano. He finished 1st in this years athletics champs in the U15 100m sprint. He ran it in 11 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqqy0_xZzU&t=21s
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Eli Kravic could be our own version of Fevola,

Kraavicccccccccc