#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

I agree, he does a lot of nice little team things.
Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »

He's a real goer, I'd give him a game on effort alone, his skills and positioning improve every game, despite the odd shocker
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

Agreed. Think that he is incredibly important for our structure and takes a lot of pressure off Darcy.

Once he starts clunking his marks (hopefully he can master this), he will be even more important for us.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

I agree. he's a competitor and a smart bloke. he may not ever be a big mark taker but he chases, tackles, provides a focal point and he does deft little taps to advantage. team player, his value to the team is more than shows on the stats sheet and he'll only improve with games.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Been spruiking Coxy for ages. The improvement is happening week by week. No team in the AFL has a second ruckman of this quality; and when he goes forward he commands a serious defender. His reach means he'll mark or get his arms chopped and get a free. Weapon in the making.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Don't mind him in the team so long as he puts two hands up to mark and not one like he usually does. When he goes up with both then he:

a) marks it
b) brings it to ground
c) draws a free kick

9 times out of 10 it will be c because of chopping the arms. He'll clunk the occasional one or bring it to ground. Don't think he reads the play that well but showed signs of being in the right spot and attempting last week.
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Don't mind him in the team so long as he puts two hands up to mark and not one like he usually does. When he goes up with both then he:

a) marks it
b) brings it to ground
c) draws a free kick

9 times out of 10 it will be c because of chopping the arms. He'll clunk the occasional one or bring it to ground. Don't think he reads the play that well but showed signs of being in the right spot and attempting last week.
E

Post by E »

we wont win a flag while you still have to work this hard to find good qualities in our full forward (the best you've got at the moment seems to be - please go up with two hands so that you might get a free for chopping the arms!!!).

Do you think they say these things in Adelaide or Footscray.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I think it's a bit of a worry that he's our next best option but if anything he's always going to be an awkward proposition for the opposition. Much more dangerous than White but that probably says more about Jesse's uselessness, who'll probably tease us again with a few decent vfl games only to be promoted, have one or two barely passable games then disappoint once again.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Just needs to eliminate from his game that little thing where he marks the ball uncontested 3 metres from goal and throws it away and he could be the complete player.
Culprit
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Culprit »

People point out his errors and they also note that he is learning. WarrenW is correct about that two hands and I would suggest that the two hands up does not come natural with him. With Cox's height the opposition have to man him up and this brings in Moore. My view is if we don't play him then he has no point being on the list. Play him.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

I agree that as a second ruckman Mason Cox provides us with a good chop out option for Brody Grundy. Hopefully he can continue to develop his forwrd work but in terms of structure I would like to see him instructed to prop himself in the goal square and lead from there, as opposed to where Bucks has him situate himself at the bounce which is more like 30 to 40 meters out which I think exposes his lack of mobility and brings his opponent into the game.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Big guys traditionally take longer to develop and Mason came from a long way behind as he never played the sport at junior level. For the limited time he has been involved in the sport he has progressed well. To help him realise his potential we need to play him for a number of weeks so that he can gain a better feel for the game at seniors level, develop his role within the structure, adjust to the speed and intensity at this level and gain some confidence.

From what I can see he is a pretty intelligent young man and he more vested in being a success here in Australasia then what he initially considered. I tip he will play at least 150 games in a Black & White jumper. Early days but he will be an essential player in the future.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 140 times

Post by stui magpie »

Culprit wrote:People point out his errors and they also note that he is learning. WarrenW is correct about that two hands and I would suggest that the two hands up does not come natural with him. With Cox's height the opposition have to man him up and this brings in Moore. My view is if we don't play him then he has no point being on the list. Play him.
I tend to think that, in a pack situation, if he doesn't think he's a good chance of actually marking the ball, he chooses to go one handed and tries to palm it to a teammate. Watch some of those one handed attempts closely.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 134 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Hopefully he'll benefit from playing regularly in the seniors, which should see him get better as his confidence grows. Even now, his mere presence is attracting pressure which would otherwise be on Moore. Now that we decided to banish (possibly for good) White from the team, we can have a well balanced team with Cox playing the 2nd ruck role. He is already quite an accomplished ruckman. All he really needs to do is start clunking a few marks. Hopefully he'll pull down a few today.