Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop

Post by swoop »

Great idea tazza2000, the DM on the jumper would mean every kid that wore it would learn about the history of cfc and hopfuly motivate them to greater hights.
burnsy17
Has liked: 1 time

Post by burnsy17 »

Good idea to bring the jumper back... problem is, with the current system, no one has the opportunity to establish their own status with the number as it is going to be changed yearly... then again, thats probably the clubs thinking - they don't want to give it permanantly to someone who may turn out useless...

I'd love to see the 42 back running through packs, kicking goals... unfortunately, it seems as though the famous 42 will only ever don the williamstown colours...
Beware the swooping Magpie.

Post by AGE »

tazza2000 wrote:I reckon its a great idea personally, im sure he'd rather see it out on the field then not at all.

I think it would be nice for a little DM on the jumper somewhere so that there is still some attachment to the great man
By doing that you back into a corner, the belief that Darren Millane is our greatest ever player. Having the jumper retired is a big enough honour in itself to the man. Not to begin an arguement that he was or wasn't, but where does that leave the little "BR" or "JMH" or "GC" on the jumper?

Richmond believe Jack Dyer is their greatest ever player and that is fine and will show this by giving their captain the #17. But Collingwood, is not the type of club to place accolades on one man through it's rich illustrious history.

As for the question: 42 should stay under lock and key.
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

I choose to remember the Man, not the number he wore....The number 42 running around the ground will never deter me from the memory of the man who once wore it....it is the way he played the game that I will never forget and you know if you looked at him from the front...well he wore the same stripes as every great Collingwood Player and played like a true champion...I would suggest that everytime Pants himself ran out on to the field he would be playing heart and soul for the Black and White and not the number on his back...

My Two Bob...

Cheers
ScottyMac

Post by ScottyMac »

Went out and brought the 1990 DVD last weekend (thought it best to update from the old Video taped off channel seven) and anyone who watches that game knows Any sort of background behind the man would feel the same way as I am about the number being "un-retired" The pure toughness, grit whatever the hell it is that man had NOBODY since has shown and I doubt ever will... Number 42 holding that ball when the siren rang is a highlight of our clubs history... Nobody can tell me when they see the Number 35 or now the number 5 they don't think of Dakes and Bucks...

42 is Millane the number is his he was put to rest in it... therefore it should stay that way!!!!
Blanch

Post by Blanch »

ScottyMac, does that mean that the no35 should be retired and that the no.5 should go when bux does? I understand what some are saying but have to disagree.

This is one of the best initiatives the club has had. If any of you think for a moment that the family weren't consulted then you truly have rocks in your head. Ed is a professional, he is a lot smarter than that. Give the guy some credit.

As MagpieMad said, this is the way that DM can be remembered for generations. Kids WILL ask why the no.1 draft pick HAS to wear no.42. This allows his memory to live on far longer and kids will learn more about the man.

In generations to come do you honestly think kids are going to say "gee, I can't see number 42, why doesn't anyone wear that number?" He will be forgotten more easily. CMON, how can extending the legend that is DM through generations be a bad thing? Put your pride and your own memories aside and let him be remembered by magpie fans for generations to come. WHAT AN HONOUR THE CLUB HAS JUST GIVEN DM - THE HONOUR TO NEVER BE FORGOTTEN (well past our generation).
My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
swooper
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

I was in complete shock when I first head about it, but the more I think about it, the more at ease I am with it.
What about other great Magpies whose number havent been retired, a case in point, Bobby Rose???? Now I am not comparing the two players at all, but the fact that Rhys is wearing that number PROUDLY today speaks volumes for the way 'traditions' impact on our young lads.
Sure, it will be strangely odd seeing no 42 running around again, but inspiring stuff for the young team (hopefully) and some elders out there too!
I think many here may be over-reacting (sheeesh!!!) but I see it as a good way to pay homage to Pants and also to impart some of Millanes courage, and toughness in no. 1 picks.
Just my opinion of course.....
ScottyMac

Post by ScottyMac »

I personally don't see a problem in trying to keep his name going through the ages... BUT My main point is that this man was laid to rest with this black and white piece of material that he loved more than anything draped over him...

I may be old fashioned but the numbers of players that I was brought up with stick in my mind... 42 is pants and always will be.

Maybe we need to have the same system as St Kilda in Passing the Jumper down. I know this doesn't have any impact on the 42 jumper but maybe for the future so that this does not become a problem.
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

dunno about passing a jumper down ala stkilda, I think I'd rather see them stamp their own careers on a number as presti has with daic's old number and bucks has with ronnies ect. but the way the club have gone about this, is right I think B'cos 42 will be Pant's number forever.
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
stoid

Post by stoid »

Initially, I was pissed off about the decision. Then I thought, I would like my great, great, great grandchildren to know who Pants was, and this is the best way for it to happen.

Pants will be talked about at every guernsey presentation from now on. What a great way to remember him!
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

maybe the winner of the darren millane medal each year should wear the jumber the following year, that way they would be earning the right to wear the number.
cobood

Post by cobood »

I still think its sacrilege...but... if it has to be then Punkologists notion would be the way to go... and I would be quite consoled with that....

#42 was.... is.... and always will be DARREN MILLANE
....Collingwood Forever....
....Premiers 2010/
commonwombat

Post by commonwombat »

I was one who agreed with the retirement of no.42 after Millane's death but was of the mind that it should be re-activated in future on the proviso that it goes to the right player, ie a great, potential great or inspirational player.

I am still of that belief. Whilst not necessarily against the proposal, it may have been communicated better by club hierarchy. We have probably the most passionate supporter base in the game and this is an issue that would spark some controversy. Just making arbitrary decisions with zero communication is just putting people offside needlessly.

Peolpe have respect for the leadership of the club and what they have achieved but maybe those in power need to look at their manner of going about things and dealing with the masses. This and other matters raised on this board ie memberships suggest this and communication are areas the club should address.

Punkologist's idea has some merit, however do question if the Millane medallist is a well established player with est number.
he's an animal, what can u expect!!!
Killbot

Post by Killbot »

I smell a backflip coming on

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 61,00.html

Millane family's plea to Collingwood to let it be

DARREN Millane's family has been shocked and saddened by Collingwood's decision to reassign the late premiership player's No. 42 guernsey next season.

Millane's mother Denise said yesterday she was upset to hear of the club's plans the day before they were announced to the media on Friday, having believed the number had been permanently laid to rest.
Seeing the No. 42 on another player's back would be a traumatic experience, Mrs Millane said.

"I don't think I could go and watch a game where somebody else was running around in the jumper, actually," she said.
ScottyMac

Post by ScottyMac »

Surely this can't have happened.. Am I reading this correct that the Millanes were TOLD the number would be re used. If the Millane family don't want it back out on the ground I say that settles it.

As I have said all along... the jumper was laid to rest with the man therefore should stay that way. But it is not my decision.... I would be happy if the Millane family gave it the go ahead!!!