Maynard incident > Maynard rule > Brayshaw retirement

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What do you think Maynard will get when it’s all over?

Two or more weeks and season done
16%
One week – misses the PF but back for the grand final
10%
Nothing – he’ll get off, either by not being cited or on appeal
74%

Total votes: 96

magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

We were a happy cohesive team before now we are happy cohesive and GALVANISED!!!

CMON PIES!!!!!!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

MAY LAST COMMENT FOR AWHILE, - UP YOURS , GOODWIN, U SUCK. !!!!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

choppa wrote:I hope everyone brings their umbrellas tomorrow when you head out because the streets will be flooded with Melbourne supporters tears :lol: 8)
No bring your sun hat as tomorrow the sun shines for Collingwood!
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Have been chatting to son on FB and oh my god the scum numpties on there are so precious.

As I said in answer to one of their little tirades . . . .

None of us hate you - we are too busy pitying you for supporting the most most debased and corrupt team on the planet.
Take_a_Screamer

Now we can focus on the suggested prelim team -
with Bruzzy and Nick in it... :D
Ash Johnson...you beauty
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Magpietothemax wrote:This is such fantastic news. So good that Bruzza has been completely acquitted of the monstrous crimes Goodwin, Hamish Brayshaw, Lyon and other assorted hyenas have been accusing him of.
I feel elated!
Cards falling our way for once.
Go Pies!!
Now the hack journos who have hidden agendas to ignore the facts and make life as difficult as possible for Collingwood have been exposed yet again. Caroline Wilson will be spewing blood right now and it shows that it’s time for retirement for the crazy woman whose hatred for Collingwood has been open for my entire life barracking for Collingwood and I won’t even mention the times she has blatantly shown double standards when dealing with issues pertaining to Richmond. However I must admit that my old Bendigo Advertiser bloke Robbo has been very fair in his comments that I have heard. So there we go, the shit does hit the fan from those two didn’t expect it. Love it
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Take_a_Screamer

Well Caro better apologize what she said about the red wine and flowers.
I wont say any more as it might get me in trouble :lol:
Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

doriswilgus wrote:Reading the above conclusions from the tribunal,it’s obvious that they had no choice but to find Maynard not guilty of the charge.

The question that needs to be asked,is why did the AFL make such a big show of charging him in the first place,over riding the MRO in the process?They must have seen the same video and photographic evidence that the tribunal saw at the hearing,the fact that Maynard had no time to brace for contact one he was in the air,and that Brayshaw clearly veered off the line and contributed to the collision himself.Amd yet despite all of that evidence they must have see,they still went ahead and charged him anyway.Just bizarre.

Well,it’s backfired on them badly,and Melbourne as well.They certainly haven’t covered themselves in glory thrihghiht this whole case.And Godwin’s continued attempts to get Maynard suspended were little short of disgraceful.
Rightly or wrongly they had to be SEEN to challenge it because a prime time broadcast game of footy to millions of people had a delay while a guy was unconscious for 2 minutes. Imagine in 5 years time when Brayshaw is suing the league their response is “we didn’t even think there was anything in it”. It’s shallow I know, and players must accept some of the risk of this occupation, but the administration/lawyers at that time in the future’s only defence will be “we did everything we could to protect players from getting knocked out” including trying to ban players who knocked other players out as a deterrent.

There will almost certainly be rule changes going forward which mean that incidents like this in future may not turn out the same way (ie let off).

I’m not sure we need to sh1t can Laura Kane specifically, I am positive Chrisso would have been overruled by whoever was in that role (ps - if you think any of this was done without Gillian’s mitts on it you are also naive).

These are the complexities of administering a billion dollar sports competition. I don’t love the league’s honchos, but anyone who thinks the job would be easy is clearly a simpleton.

Regarding the commentary from the hacks mentioned previously however (Wilson, Lyon, Goodwin etc) I am in complete consensus with Nick’s posters… Suck It!
Last edited by piffdog on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

piffdog wrote:Unpopular opinion but I don’t mind that the league overruled and sent it up (something I was t aware of in a couple earlier posts back on about page 6 of this thread).

Concussions and head knocks are more scrutinised than ever and the league has an obligation to protect the future of the game. This issue is not going away and as fans we can all expect this kind of drama to increase going forward. Yes it might be subjugating due process to the lawyers, but this is how professional billion dollar businesses are run (rightly or wrongly)

If (or when) they rewrite the rules to say “if a player gets knocked out, someone will be suspended, somehow, someway because we simply cannot afford to have players getting concussed” then Maynard is a goner - but that’s not the rules now (yet…).

Also, just try and imagine for a second that it was Jack Viney hitting Nick Daicos and the league didn’t step in… We would be screaming conspiracy.

Justice has prevailed for Maynard also I hope Brayshaw recovers ok.
It’s a fair argument to make. I don’t believe it was a weird conspiracy to get Collingwood, just the AFL running scared of litigious action and wanting to deter anyone from using smothering as a pretext for a bump in future. They probably succeeded in that.

The mature response, if that is what they want, would have been to accept Christian’s verdict, and then to amend the laws next year to say that any act where a player is concussed by a shoulder or arm hit will go to the tribunal for adjudication, to be assessed against the following clear criteria….

This was a ludicrous process full of prejudice and making the risk of suspension a lottery.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

magpieazza wrote:We were a happy cohesive team before now we are happy cohesive and GALVANISED!!!

CMON PIES!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3FTEmN-eg

Our finger is on the button!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Jezza
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Jezza »

doriswilgus wrote:Reading the above conclusions from the tribunal,it’s obvious that they had no choice but to find Maynard not guilty of the charge.

The question that needs to be asked,is why did the AFL make such a big show of charging him in the first place,over riding the MRO in the process?
Optics.

The AFL is engaging in risk management to ensure it's seen as being thorough and doing its due diligence to ensure its taking the issue of concussion seriously especially in light of recent litigation.

Unfortunately concussion based injuries will occur as long Australian Rules Football remains a contact sport. Accidents occasionally happen.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Meredith1965 wrote:It’s a fair argument to make. I don’t believe it was a weird conspiracy to get Collingwood, just the AFL running scared of litigious action and wanting to deter anyone from using smothering as a pretext for a bump in future. They probably succeeded in that.

The mature response, if that is what they want, would have been to accept Christian’s verdict, and then to amend the laws next year to say that any act where a player is concussed by a shoulder or arm hit will go to the tribunal for adjudication, to be assessed against the following clear criteria….

This was a ludicrous process full of prejudice and making the risk of suspension a lottery.
Yeah I never bought into the conspiracy it was about "getting" us as you say.

This is more to do with the broader issues of concussion and the litigation that's surrounding it.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BEAMER09
Been liked: 15 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Well Caro better apologize what she said about the red wine and flowers.
I wont say any more as it might get me in trouble :lol:
you mean Wilhelmina
COLLINGW09D
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by piffdog »

Meredith1965 wrote:
piffdog wrote:Unpopular opinion but I don’t mind that the league overruled and sent it up (something I was t aware of in a couple earlier posts back on about page 6 of this thread).

Concussions and head knocks are more scrutinised than ever and the league has an obligation to protect the future of the game. This issue is not going away and as fans we can all expect this kind of drama to increase going forward. Yes it might be subjugating due process to the lawyers, but this is how professional billion dollar businesses are run (rightly or wrongly)

If (or when) they rewrite the rules to say “if a player gets knocked out, someone will be suspended, somehow, someway because we simply cannot afford to have players getting concussed” then Maynard is a goner - but that’s not the rules now (yet…).

Also, just try and imagine for a second that it was Jack Viney hitting Nick Daicos and the league didn’t step in… We would be screaming conspiracy.

Justice has prevailed for Maynard also I hope Brayshaw recovers ok.
It’s a fair argument to make. I don’t believe it was a weird conspiracy to get Collingwood, just the AFL running scared of litigious action and wanting to deter anyone from using smothering as a pretext for a bump in future. They probably succeeded in that.

I think there was plenty of prejudice from the external sources but I respectfully understand why the league didn’t just sit on its hands. From memory the David Mackay bump was also sent contrary to the MRO advice a couple years back. I agree the rules will almost certainly be amended along the lines of your suggestions.

I didn’t see it quite as a lottery - the further down the tribunal process you go, the more legal (and less “football”) it becomes. Granted there was probably never no risk he was let off, but there was the tribunal and then an appeal as a further safety net. [/i]
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

Club statement.
The AFL Tribunal has cleared Brayden Maynard and, as a result, he will be available for our Preliminary Final clash.

The Collingwood Football Club's thoughts remain with Angus Brayshaw and his family - the Club wishes him a speedy and complete recovery.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... l-tribunal