#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

RudeBoy wrote:I must say I'm one of those who was very skeptical that 'Doodle' would make it as an AFL player. Given that it normally takes ruckmen 5-7 years to become decent players, I figured that he would be 32 yrs by the time he was good enough to get a game.

I was wrong and I've never been so happy to be oh so wrong. Apart from clunking a couple of good marks and kicking a couple of goals each week, his great positioning has straightened up our whole side. We are playing much more direct football and I credit a lot of that to big Coxy.
So would you be Safe in saying he has eclipsed Shae Mcnamara?
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Piesnchess wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Mark my words, the big tall Texan Cox is a future version of our own Paul Salmon, he could well be that good. Hes only known the game for two years, and look at him already, like a duck too water. Bring it on. !
Paul Salmon. I remember when Shane Watson nearly killed him :D
ONLY good thing Watto ever did I reckon. Didn't he break salmons leg at Vic Park, or was that Mick Gayfer, I cant recall. :P
You might be thinking of the Raines collision that contributed to Salmon's ACL reconstruction in 1984? If memory serves, it was mid-season and Salmon had already kicked over 60 goals?
Member 7167

Post by Member 7167 »

Very pleased with his efforts and results so far but let us not get ahead of ourselves. He is new to the game and is showing great promise. He will have good games and poor games. That is the way of AFL. Don't crucify and demand his de-listing the moment he has a couple of poor games. The expectations some put on our players is totally unrealistic.
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
35forever

Post by 35forever »

"If at first you dont succeed...
... oh who cares, we did it!!!!!"

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

^ you're surely right on that, 35 forever.... I said somewhere else that he should revive the place kick. Hiwever, it is pretty clear frm the comments of Pendles and the coach and Cloke himself in the last few days that the problem is that he has not been following the plan, and not trying hard enough to get himself in the contest. The kicking thing kills us as supporters, but i don't think it is the issue that hangs over his future.
Two more flags before I die!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

IS our Huge Texan Mason,now a cult figure ?

Post by Piesnchess »

Even though hes only played a handful of games, four I think, I reckon this massive Texan is already a Magpie cult figure, hes been like a breath of fresh air in a somewhat stale season for us.

I reckon hes already a Magpie cult hero. ! :D
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Mods : merge with the Cox appreciation thread

Mod edit: Done. But a "please" wouldn't go astray next time... :)

Sorry mods, and thank you.

Cox is probably the only Collingwood player opposition supporters can't hate.
Last edited by What'sinaname on Sat May 28, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 133 times

Post by RudeBoy »

'Doodle' is definitely gaining cult status. The scary thing is he should get, much, much better over the next couple of years.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

Gone early, hope you haven't given him the kiss of Death :shock:

Like you PNC, I'm excited by the big guy 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

A cult figure suggests that his talents are only appreciated by a few. I hope he is on the way to something more than that. Before last week's game, wHen Chris Scott was asked on 360 what he was worried about, he commented Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar.... But then he said "and they've got this giant who is playing forward and ruck".... The fact that Mason might be on an opposition coach's top 5 worries list says he may be on the way to becoming much, much more than a cult figure. We are not there yet, but at the moment this could be anything. His progress has become one of the great delights of this strange, up-and-down season.

And i agree, mods, please merge with the MC appreciation thread...
Two more flags before I die!
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Finally a replacement for Leigh Brown. He's clearly good enough in the ruck to be a part timer and so far has shown just enough to hold down a forward spot. Although we need a revitalised Cloke in our forward line alongside Mason before we can really get serious about this season.
Well done boys!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Mugwump wrote:A cult figure suggests that his talents are only appreciated by a few. I hope he is on the way to something more than that. Before last week's game, wHen Chris Scott was asked on 360 what he was worried about, he commented Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar.... But then he said "and they've got this giant who is playing forward and ruck".... The fact that Mason might be on an opposition coach's top 5 worries list says he may be on the way to becoming much, much more than a cult figure. We are not there yet, but at the moment this could be anything. His progress has become one of the great delights of this strange, up-and-down season.

And i agree, mods, please merge with the MC appreciation thread...
Well summed up. Any bloke of his size is a worry for the opposition. When you combine that with everything else he has going for him he will scare other teams. A modern day Paul Salmon.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Presti35
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Presti35 »

Here is a pic of when Mason met MagpieBat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

Good one, Presti... :)
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

AN_Inkling wrote:Finally a replacement for Leigh Brown. He's clearly good enough in the ruck to be a part timer and so far has shown just enough to hold down a forward spot. Although we need a revitalised Cloke in our forward line alongside Mason before we can really get serious about this season.
Exactly. We need Cloke back, and with Mason, this would be awesome