#38 Jeremy Howe

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

jackcass wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
ad4eva wrote:To me Howe showed the most promising signs yesterday thus far.

His effort was good in the contest, laid some nice tackles and was good in the one on ones (which is where I feel he gets beaten most often).

He also provided a solid target when we actually got the footy forward of centre.

Bare in mind, he had virtually no pre-season. Onward and upward from here.
A bad hand doesn't stop you getting fit.
If you assume general aerobic fitness is the same as match fitness.
I assume he had a few runs in the VFL.
Oh yes, i saw him down at Geelong during one of our VFL practice matches.
He probably had 3 or so VFL matches to get so called match fit.
He probably had more of these matches than guys like Pendles.
If you cross the white line in AFL you declare yourself fit.
But as usual Jackcass your analysis is always off.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

thompsoc wrote:

His effort was good in the contest, laid some nice tackles and was good in the one on ones (which is where I feel he gets beaten most often).

He also provided a solid target when we actually got the footy forward of centre.

No, but a foot problem (which he had during pre-season as well as the finger) does restrict your ability to run...
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

thompsoc wrote:
jackcass wrote:
thompsoc wrote: A bad hand doesn't stop you getting fit.
If you assume general aerobic fitness is the same as match fitness.
I assume he had a few runs in the VFL.
Oh yes, i saw him down at Geelong during one of our VFL practice matches.
He probably had 3 or so VFL matches to get so called match fit.
He probably had more of these matches than guys like Pendles.
If you cross the white line in AFL you declare yourself fit.
But as usual Jackcass your analysis is always off.
At least you assume so although analysis might be a long bow for a simple comment. Go and do your research on his preseason injury issues and game time.
Museman

Post by Museman »

Because he takes a pretty mark.

And we need to do something pretty because the rest of our football needs a bag on its head.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

MagpieBat wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

No, but a foot problem (which he had during pre-season as well as the finger) does restrict your ability to run...
Restricts your ability to run at training, but not to bowl some handy fast-mediums with your mates.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jeesus, for chrissakes give the bloke a go, hes been with us for ten minutes, played what, two games is it ,get real.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Museman wrote:Because he takes a pretty mark.

And we need to do something pretty because the rest of our football needs a bag on its head.
Yes, it's probably harsh - but it made me lol. :lol:
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Still early days for Howe. I got the impression that Melbourne weren't too disappointed to see him go in the end but I think the issue there was that Howe was playing in defence, and he preferred playing up forward.

He hasn't been outstanding by any means, but I think he's been getting a little better in each match he's played so far. He just needs to keep presenting himself as a viable forward option and kick some goals.

I don't think it would be a bad move by the coaching staff to play him up the wing if his influence up forward is very minimal at best.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
mackasmatt

Post by mackasmatt »

On the positive side if we lose Cloke and Swan next year then surely we will have a mil/year available to spend on one of this big marking/tackling/goaling GWS/GC players...
------------
----------
MAGPIES '18
----------
------------
E

Post by E »

Howe was nowhere near our worst on Sunday. I actually liked his game. I think as a lead up forward, he has a role to play for us. Think he will keep getting better and better for us over time and think he is easily a best 22 type of player.
E

Post by E »

Howe was nowhere near our worst on Sunday. I actually liked his game. I think as a lead up forward, he has a role to play for us. Think he will keep getting better and better for us over time and think he is easily a best 22 type of player.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

No one has really answered my question.
Why did we recruit him?
I know he can take a good grab.
So what other reasons did we get him?
Can he kick? has he got a tank....
All I have said is that so far this year I haven't seen much.
That is not a criticism just an observation.
It is why I made this post.... I wanted to find out more about him.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Steve Grace pre-game Sunday indicated that while his marking is a feature of his game it wasn't specifically why he was recruited. Has elite endurance, uses the footy well, and has some footy nous. To paraphrase, while it was unfortunate that he had the hot spot on his foot and the broken finger which derailed his preseason, he has progressed well since his introduction to the senior team and ultimately the club sees him as an important component of the team playing off a wing or high HF and providing the linkages between D50 and F50.
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

He was recruited as a marketing tool. He is currently just a tool.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

jackcass wrote:Steve Grace pre-game Sunday indicated that while his marking is a feature of his game it wasn't specifically why he was recruited. Has elite endurance, uses the footy well, and has some footy nous. To paraphrase, while it was unfortunate that he had the hot spot on his foot and the broken finger which derailed his preseason, he has progressed well since his introduction to the senior team and ultimately the club sees him as an important component of the team playing off a wing or high HF and providing the linkages between D50 and F50.
Well thankyou Jackcass.
You have answered my question.