#38 Jeremy Howe

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

bally12

Post by bally12 »

I'm still hopeful on the Howe trade.

To me, he's shown that he's not effective when he gets bodied as a forward, and he doesn't have the explosiveness to create separation to play as a leading forward.

For the same reasons, I wouldn't play him as a back.

I think his best position is to play him as a winger, where he'll be able to have more freedom to jump at the ball and give us an aerial advantage between the arcs, be a target for the kick-ins, and use his long-striding aerobic running up and down the ground. His tackling is not bad either.

I'm pretty sure Bucks had a similar vision when he recruited him, but possibly because of his interrupted pre-season, he's not playing the running role he intendend for him just yet.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

Bally12 i think you may be right about what his primary role should be - target for kick-ins.

My hopes were not high for Howe, but after the few games he can clearly play and he looks like he can have the right desire if the ego is beaten out of him.

I wish he was not on our list for ($500,00 per year for 4 years?) but now that he is .. Bucks make sure he is an option at every kick in, and give the opposition something to worry about FFS.

And Ant .. do something as an assistant and teach the numpty how to hurt people with that leap.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Thought he's improved each week. Not uncommon for players to take time to gel in a new environment when they come from other clubs. Look at Jetta for the Weagles.
Last edited by jackcass on Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

By the way - how much is Elliott getting paid?

I'd have a freakin back injury too.
I reckon if we sack Bucks Jamie might have a chance of making a miraculous recovery.

Big call - but hey - its possible.

Fook It - I will vent here.

Do we or do we not have one of the greatest egomaniac's in living history coaching us?
E

Post by E »

Both Blair and Howe were in our top 5 this week. they were very encouraging which is good.

when we can get:

Varcoe, Adams, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Cloke, Langdon, Williams, goldsack, Elliot and Swan back (that is 10 pklayers, all of whom are in our best 22 by the way), we'll see how we go....

I do agree that the gameplan is not working. will it work with the right cattle learning to trust it? I don't know the answer to that, but the number of times I saw 5 Collingwood players swarm the ball only to have one Weagles player scramble it out to space where there were free eagles everywhere was ridiculous.

I also agree that the handballing has to be perfect or you cant do it because it doesn't create an advantage unless it puts a player in a better position. There was a lot of handballing to players who had nowhere to go (and often with less options than the guy with the ball).
Dangles

Post by Dangles »

E wrote:
I do agree that the gameplan is not working. will it work with the right cattle learning to trust it? I don't know the answer to that, but the number of times I saw 5 Collingwood players swarm the ball only to have one Weagles player scramble it out to space where there were free eagles everywhere was ridiculous.
I was pointing this out last year. Collingwood players swarming the contest and gang tackling only to have the opposition players get the ball out to unattended team mates who were meters in the clear. I called it over committing to the contest. At the time I was told that we play a numbers around the contest style game. But it seems like we're over doing it and lacking run and spread as a result.

They were talking about contested ball on SEN this morning and apparently Brad Scott had said it's a bit overrarated and then they mentioned how Hawthron we're ranked around sixth and seventh for contested ball in their premiership seasons. I also remember hearing sometime last year that one of Hawthorn's overlooked strengths was that they led the competition for loose ball gets inside the forward 50.
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

To me Howe showed the most promising signs yesterday thus far.

His effort was good in the contest, laid some nice tackles and was good in the one on ones (which is where I feel he gets beaten most often).

He also provided a solid target when we actually got the footy forward of centre.

Bare in mind, he had virtually no pre-season. Onward and upward from here.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

ad4eva wrote:To me Howe showed the most promising signs yesterday thus far.

His effort was good in the contest, laid some nice tackles and was good in the one on ones (which is where I feel he gets beaten most often).

He also provided a solid target when we actually got the footy forward of centre.

A bad hand doesn't stop you getting fit.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Dangles wrote:
E wrote:
I was pointing this out last year. Collingwood players swarming the contest and gang tackling only to have the opposition players get the ball out to unattended team mates who were meters in the clear. I called it over committing to the contest. At the time I was told that we play a numbers around the contest style game. But it seems like we're over doing it and lacking run and spread as a result.

They were talking about contested ball on SEN this morning and apparently Brad Scott had said it's a bit overrarated and then they mentioned how Hawthron we're ranked around sixth and seventh for contested ball in their premiership seasons. I also remember hearing sometime last year that one of Hawthorn's overlooked strengths was that they led the competition for loose ball gets inside the forward 50.
McCartney was on ABC a couple of weeks ago and said that the main reason players swarm the contest is a lack of trust and confidence and an expected outcome of playing young inexperienced players. As these players gain trust in their teammates they tend to hold structures better. Stability in the senior team would go a long way to enhance this.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

thompsoc wrote:
ad4eva wrote:To me Howe showed the most promising signs yesterday thus far.

A bad hand doesn't stop you getting fit.
If you assume general aerobic fitness is the same as match fitness.
gurugeoff

Post by gurugeoff »

why did we recruit Howe? Well, you need to keep in mind that who you recruit each year is dictated by who is available at the time, and that is not really a very large pool - players who are out of contract and haven't been sacked by their club already for not being good enough.
kickit2me

Post by kickit2me »

Recruited so that Elliott wouldn't fly high every time the ball went forward, and thus risk hurting his back!
"And that effort by Ezard was pathetic" - Don Scott.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Geeze I'd go back and look at Anzac Day.

Was involved in a number of scoring chains and was I thought in our best 5
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Everyone complains about our lack of forwards
We recruit a forward
Everyone complains

Howe's strength is taking high marks
Our delivery into the forward line is shit and slow

Not his fault
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

neil wrote:Everyone complains about our lack of forwards
We recruit a forward
Everyone complains

Howe's strength is taking high marks
Our delivery into the forward line is shit and slow

Not his fault
I am not complaining i just wanted to know what attributes he was recruited for.
I just haven't seen much of anything at the moment.
Just saying....h
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.