#38 Jeremy Howe

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Post by 3.14159 »

A few Howe (does he do that!) marks!

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-10-19/ ... eremy-howe
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

SwansWay wrote:There's always exceptions but Danger is another example too. He's taken less money to go to Geelong. By the way, does it seem like we're paying more for Treloar than Geelong had to pay for Dangerfield who is leagues ahead of Treloar at this stage?
Dangerfield was a free agent. Geelong played nice even though they could've snared him for nothing.
Est. 2002
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
magpieazza wrote:So it wasn't 68 for Kennedy. Part of Kennedy's value went into securing Howe as pick 32 alone was not enough. Given that Kennedy's not worth a huge amount more than 68, that's a fair deal.

quoting Ink ^^

Having just got my frustrations out on the squash court and settled down with a corona, I can see the logic in trade and it eases the pain.

However the part that gets me is that Melbourne held Kennedy in such high esteem and when, not if, Kennedy gets game time, he will exceed his 68 value. Remembering that Kennedy was contracted and he did cost us a late first rounder. So there is a loss no matter how you look at it.

Melbourne are chuffed!! If he doesn't work out it cost them sweetfa. I would like Collingwood to get Kennedy types for that pick value, but then again we are not Melbourne.

Basically the point I'm making is that the value of something is usually worth what people are willing to pay for it and in the midst of all the intricacies of this mega deal, Melbourne found value, at our expense.

Terry Wallace did say that sometimes clubs have to give a little to get a trade done and even if it feels you have paid overs eg Hawthorn getting Burgoynes, Lakes, Gibsons, Gunstons etc the plaudits for smooth trading goes to clubs who move things on quickly.

I think Collingwood were not bent over badly but we weren't winners.... for now. Maybe we will do a Hawthorn and see the value in Howe in years to come....heres hoping.
Hope Collingwood get seen as a club that " gave a little" and are recognised as a club that gets things done, dare I say it unlike the Brions.
Good post.

I wonder if we've been seen to have too many trade/draft wins over the past few years. The Beams deal worked for us. Getting rid of Daisy for a first rounder at the right time and then upgrading it to pick 6 and grabbing the highly rated Scharenberg was masterful. Dawes, Heater and Wellingham are all at least win/win's. Even Darcy Moore as a father son would have been noticed. Maybe other clubs are worried about what we're building and this is why Treloar and Aish deals are so hard to get done. In that case, pushing this deal through without haggling might have been a bit of a PR exercise, and I could live with that.

Just a thought and yeah, I realise it doesn't seem to apply to Hawthorn, but they're not Collingwood.
Agreed, we really can't complain about those recent trading outcomes, quite happy in that respect!

Despite what "experts" say I'm putting my money on Collingwood making the finals. Treloar will make a difference and I think Aish will take a step up.

I'm still not quite convinced about how effective Howe will be, but I'm hopeful.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm warming to Howe as he certainly can mark. My worry is that a friend of mine who is a dees fan reckons that Howe is as soft as butter. He says he's much softer than Jack Watts. I hope this is bullshit, but it's a worry.
Lazza

Re: Howe grew up as a Pies supporter

Post by Lazza »

Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!

Post by 3.14159 »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm warming to Howe as he certainly can mark. My worry is that a friend of mine who is a dees fan reckons that Howe is as soft as butter. He says he's much softer than Jack Watts. I hope this is bullshit, but it's a worry.
I'd put that down to his previous environment.
Melbourne is a club that is soft as butter.
At the Westpac centre he'll get the one on one coaching he needs to become a tougher 4 quarter player.
piedys
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by piedys »

3.14159 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:I'm warming to Howe as he certainly can mark. My worry is that a friend of mine who is a dees fan reckons that Howe is as soft as butter. He says he's much softer than Jack Watts. I hope this is bullshit, but it's a worry.
I'd put that down to his previous environment.
Melbourne is a club that is soft as butter.
At the Westpac centre he'll get the one on one coaching he needs to become a tougher 4 quarter player.
And yet Melbourne found a way to make us look like margarine, even softer again, a couple of months back?
They'd want to make amends for that garbage come the 2016 QB round.
Just let the bloke play his natural game in 2016, before we go about re-inventing the wheel with him.
I'm sure he kicked all of this around with the coach in Bali.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever

Post by 3.14159 »

The season was well and truly over by then.
Pendles said it was hard getting motivated for a game that meant nothing.
Almost every game Howe has played meant nothing so it's understandable that he found it difficult keeping his mind on winning!
Playing for Collingwood (the team he barracked for) with quality team-mates and real shot at September action will change that mind-set!.
(I hope).
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

We traded depth for a need, a marking goal kicking forward was desperately needed.
We now have 5 forwards Cloke Moore Howe Elliot and Fasolo
Reid plays defence and Swan second ruckman have the other spot

Blair is in competition with Fasolo and Elliot

No place for White
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

We traded two players clearly outside our best 22 and quite possibly outside our best 30 - i.e., we spent nothing. We got .... who knows what we got? Maybe something good, maybe nothing, time will tell. But the key point here is that even if Howe turns out to be a complete dud we didn't lose anything of actual value to the club. In other words, anyone who says we "lost this trade" is full of it.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

Geek wrote:In fact, I'd go as far as to say that we are now just that small crumber away from having a complete forward line, at least as long as Cloke stands up.
We already have one. A bloody good one. As good as a small forward ever gets in fact. He wears the number 22 and if we can land Treloar and Aish there are no longer any excuses for wasting this huge forward talent on a wing.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Geek
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Geek »

Tannin wrote:
Geek wrote:In fact, I'd go as far as to say that we are now just that small crumber away from having a complete forward line, at least as long as Cloke stands up.
We already have one. A bloody good one. As good as a small forward ever gets in fact. He wears the number 22 and if we can land Treloar and Aish there are no longer any excuses for wasting this huge forward talent on a wing.
Sidey isn't wasted on a wing, especially once the reduced interchanges start to bite. I agree though that he has good forward sense and knows where the goals are though. You'd hope he could spend a fair bit of time up there resting instead of going to the bench. This works double, since he started copping the tag this year in the absence of Beams. If he can take a midfield tag deep, then he would cause some worries.

I'd be looking west next year to see whether we can shake that little shit Ballantyne from the Dockers list. Reckon Lyon is more interested in Barbara Walters and the other one as his FPs. Of course, if Ballantyne thinks he has the slimmest of chances of getting away with the stuff he's been getting away with from the umps once he pulls on our stripes, he's got another thing coming but it just might make a man out of him.
piedys

Post by piedys »

3.14159 wrote:The season was well and truly over by then.
Pendles said it was hard getting motivated for a game that meant nothing.
Almost every game Howe has played meant nothing so it's understandable that he found it difficult keeping his mind on winning!
Playing for Collingwood (the team he barracked for) with quality team-mates and real shot at September action will change that mind-set!.
(I hope).
Agreed, his mind-set is critical; let's hope Buckley can adjust any negative self beliefs Howe may harbour.
2016 is starting to become somewhat optimistic now.
The fight for senior spots next season should be undoubtedly the toughest since 2011.
If this all clicks, then Hawthorn can start looking over their shoulder. Often.
Jezza
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 316 times

Post by Jezza »

Welcome to Collingwood Jeremy! :D

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piedys

Post by piedys »

Jezza wrote:Welcome to Collingwood Jeremy! :D

What chance his right arm staying un-sleeved for 2016 after Swan, White and Elliott get in his ear?