Since when did our colours change to Rainbow?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

In some countries you get killed for being yourself. Anyone here intellectually decide who they were attracted to? Really the absurdity of the extreme religious overlay in society. And I was raised an Irish Catholic and still have a sense of faith, and I have a beautiful, gentle teenager who is gay. So I have seen what subtle discrimination is. And it’s horrible. It’s 2023, and no male player has come out. Imagine being told you are wrong for just being yourself. I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.
Dispatches from a foreign land
David

Post by David »

^ very well said, Pete.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Excellent post Pete 70 and you have summarised the entire issue in a nutshell. However I find that irrespective of how progressive society has become, there will always be some with views that can be considered going against the grain. To me that is okay as long as they don’t behave in a threatening manner or engage in unacceptable conduct towards others who do not share their beliefs or values. I advocated for years for clients with intellectual disabilities or acquired brain injuries who some people ostracised or actively disliked or bullied because of the way they presented. It may be 2023 but it could be 2123 and if the planet survives, so will people with awful attitudes that do not accept others who are different to them. In other words they don’t read the room! However as long as they live and let live, I don’t have a problem with that.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I think it’d be great if Collingwood had a statement on its website that the club opposes all forms of discrimination and supports the right of people to live their lives in freedom.

The so-called rainbow flag is, however, associated with far wider meanings than that. It’s a progressive Left-wing political symbol associated with a cluster of ideologies. For example, using the issue of the day, try and find someone who adores that flag who thinks Israel has a right to exist. Corporates only like it because they are on board with pseudo-righteous pseudo-Left-wing crap as long as the virtue does not extend to paying more taxes or wage equity. It’s a giant distraction to them.
David

Post by David »

Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

It is clearly a progressive Left banner. Anyone who thinks it is not, doesn’t want to see how it is used and by whom. Lots of gay people I know despise the way gay people have been conscripted with the other groups in this flag. The fact that Israel, as a thriving democracy, has its own pink hair trendies who like it does not invalidate the fact that its a logo representing the unholy alliance between big business and student union politics.

It’s the symbol for a certain related set of political beliefs, which the statement I suggested above would *not* be.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Meredith1965 wrote:...try and find someone who adores that flag who thinks Israel has a right to exist.
For a start, my whole family and me (though "adore" may be a little strong).
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ Congratulations. Welcome to a small minority. You know the point I am making. It is strongly associated with a certain cluster of political attitudes. Does the rainbow extend to embracing and welcoming political views that its celebrants do not like ? There is not much evidence of it.

Anyway, enough of this on a football site. It is what it is. I support Collingwood, the jumper, the magpie flag, our history and the club. The club management and corporate elites can push whatever dead-end so-called “progressive” politics they like at us. That will pass as the busybodying and contradictions of it become more evident each year. It does not change what’s important and actually unifying about Collingwood.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 22 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Pete 70 wrote:In some countries you get killed for being yourself. ... I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.
Did you know that there's a country where homosexuality is illegal, where women are oppressed and minorities are treated horribly. Doesn't sound like a very "inclusive" place does it?
What's the name of that country? It's the United Arab Emirates, as in "Emirates", Collingwood's Premier Partner.
Leadership would be cutting ties with an airline wholly owned by the government of Dubai.
Corporate hypocrisy is waving the rainbow flag whilst cosying up to a regime that jails and tortures gay people.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Pete 70 wrote:In some countries you get killed for being yourself. ... I think what we did falls under the heading of leadership.
Did you know that there's a country where homosexuality is illegal, where women are oppressed and minorities are treated horribly. Doesn't sound like a very "inclusive" place does it?
What's the name of that country? It's the United Arab Emirates, as in "Emirates", Collingwood's Premier Partner.
Leadership would be cutting ties with an airline wholly owned by the government of Dubai.
Corporate hypocrisy is waving the rainbow flag whilst cosying up to a regime that jails and tortures gay people.
Yeah great point.
They { the club }supports gays yet they support the bucket load of money even more.
Personally I dont care if we have Emirates as a key sponsor or not.
I just think that when you start to dabble in politics you will get burnt.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I wish we’d change them permanently, it might shut Port Adelaide up
lihei
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

I just want to see the club get behind Australia Day (again). A bit hard when they’re constantly jumping from one cause to another!
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
David

Post by David »

What did we used to do for Australia Day? Hold an open training session?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ We have NEVER lost a Grand Final on Australia Day - it's one of Collingwood's proudest traditions.