McStay-out, who comes in?

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Frampton has to come in, he is more reliable than Krueger and grand final day is not the day to be going small.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 31 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

The media throws around the idea of frampton in to lock down 1 of the 2 big bris forwards or the resting ruckman

and throwing Howe up forward, but unfortunately Howe is not a forward that will crash packs and bring the ball down for the smalls and midfielders.

my concern in the forwardline for them is Rayner

Q goes to Charlie?
Bruz to Rayner
Moore to Joe blows
Murphy to Hipskirt
Howe to Bailey
Oleg/Daicos to Ah Chee

or

Q goes to Charlie?
Bruz to Rayner
Moore to Joe blows
Murphy to Hipskirt
Howe to Bailey
Noble to Ah Chee

Oleg to Sub
Ginnie on field

So the GF team will be:

B: Noble, Moore. Maynard

HB: Quaynor Murphy, Howe

C: J Daicos. Pendlebury. Sidebottom

HF: Hill. Mihocek. Nick Daicos

F: Ginnivan Hoskin-Elliott. Elliott

Rucks: Cox. De Goey
Rover: Mitchell

IC: Crisp, Noble, McCreery, Cameron

SUB: Markov

Ginnie coming off the bench as sub i dont think is as good as Oleg or Noble

Mcstay and Lipinski ommitted.

Continue with the plan of the ruckman pushing into defense in general play and resting in forward line/bench when not in the ruck.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Agree with most Billy Boy the Blonde Leigh Brown comes out of the swiss army knife for the GF.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

I would think it's Frampton. You need packs crushed on GF day. Play a runner as the sub in case we need pace in the second half.
npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

I wouldn"t be totally shocked if its Krueger. He's a far better forward than Frampton and is a bit of a Fly favourite I think.
Personally I wouldn't play him because his kamikaze style is too likely to lead to him injuring himself early in the game and leaving us a player down.
Side by side.
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

swoop42 wrote:The one positive is McStay isn't a defender so our structure there hasn't been affected and we have our full compliment of players available to take on the best forward group in the competition.

Do we really want to mess with that by moving Howe forward from the very outset?

I say no but he might well be our best option if we desperately desire another marking presence in place of McStay

So we have a decision to make between keeping the same balance within the 22 or going smaller.

It's a no from me when it comes to Kreuger and to be honest after reading the Carlton game day thread on bigfooty it only makes me feel more strongly that the key to beating Brisbane wont be about replacing McStay with a lesser tall it'll be about matching their midfield group for run and restricting the output of half backs Coleman and McKenna across an entire game.

The way I look it all of Adams, Noble and Ginnivan are better footballers than a Kreuger or Frampton and as better footballers it stands to reason they're more likely to have an impact on GF day.

Go Pies!
I couldn't agree with you more Swoop the Lyons launch their best attacks from the run that both Coleman and Mckenna provide. Their strong midfield group are very physical and constantly try and break tackles and feeding the ball to these runners with usually an uncontested kick to the advantage of their forwards. we have to wear them out slowly and make our tackles stick. This is why we need Adams in there maybe at the cost of a tall. Cox and WHE can take stints up forward.
Last edited by Mossi on Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jamie is only 19
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

You cant be serious suggesting Cox misses ????
Smells like Pies Spirit
Hm

Post by Hm »

Jamie is only 19 wrote:You cant be serious suggesting Cox misses ????
Cox was amazing the last game. He is one of the first named this week and in ink and not pencil.
Mossi
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Mossi »

Jamie is only 19 wrote:You cant be serious suggesting Cox misses ????
Didn.t mean that at all!!! left the fullstop out.
I meant not replacing Mcstay with onother tall.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I've been changing my mind almost hourly over the weekend, but as of now, I'm of the opinion that we should bring in Frampton to replace McStay. The extremely tall forwards of the Bears requires some extra height in defence, and Frampton is best placed as a pure negator, but he can also pinch hit in the ruck or up forward. Howe can start up forward, but could alternate with Frampton if needed.

Based on qm67's optimistic forecast, I now expect Adams will play. If so, then Lipinski should be the one to make way for him. I'd like to find a spot for Noble, but unless Fly decides not to bring in Frampton, I just can't squeeze him in.

Ginni to remain our super duper sub.
mattdally
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mattdally »

Ginnivan and Adams in.
McStay out.
Lipinski relegated to the sub role.

Noble is not required this week - there is no matchup for him.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote:I've been changing my mind almost hourly over the weekend, but as of now, I'm of the opinion that we should bring in Frampton to replace McStay. The extremely tall forwards of the Bears requires some extra height in defence, and Frampton is best placed as a pure negator, but he can also pinch hit in the ruck or up forward. Howe can start up forward, but could alternate with Frampton if needed.

Based on qm67's optimistic forecast, I now expect Adams will play. If so, then Lipinski should be the one to make way for him. I'd like to find a spot for Noble, but unless Fly decides not to bring in Frampton, I just can't squeeze him in.

Ginni to remain our super duper sub.
The Lions have only two tall forwards: Daniher and Hipwood. We don't need another tall defender. Nor do we need another ruckman, with Cox and Cameron playing. Frampton can't play forward competently, as experience has shown. I just can't see the added value for our team by including Frampers.

The only like for like to replace McStay on our list is Kreuger, but it would be madness to risk Kreugs in a GF.

I genuinely think we have little option but to play with the short forward line, with Cox/Cameron rotating into F50 frequently to provide another tall threat. But everything will depend on delivery into F50. We will have to ensure delivery is never given much air, or even chaos entries at ground level. Take away from Harris Andrews his aerial advantage by not kicking it in the air. We can match them at ground level in F50, with McCreery, Elliott, Hill and even Ginnivan at ground level has been showing his capacities when he has come on as sub. If Tay Adams gets up, that will be hugely important as he can play as a defensive forward and add further ground level pressure.
If Tay is unavailable, then Lippa stays in and we will rely on his ability to deliver into F50 the way we need, and hope that he can deliver.
I would have Noble as sub, because against Brisbane, it seems to me that an extra fast defender, rather than an extra tall defender, would be much more valuable. Noble coming on with fresh legs in the last part of the game would be an injection of speed and rebound. Maybe, if we were desperate, Howe could then go forward if we needed a huge change up in dire circumstances. So for me:
BEST SCENARIO:
Out: McStay Lippa
In: Adams, Noble
Sub: Noble
OTHERWISE:
Out: McStay
In: Noble
Sub: Noble
In both scenarios, Ginni starts in the 22.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

I like the above, id just love to see noble get a chance,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

What'sinaname wrote:Not going to lie, but going in with one recognised KP forward in Checkers is going to be a huge problem.

A it like KB game where he was nullified completely.
Jamie Elliot says hello. The big plus about losing McStay is for Billy. He will thrive in Dan’s absence.

Adams will play I reckon. Straight swap for DMac.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

mattdally wrote:Ginnivan and Adams in.
McStay out.
Lipinski relegated to the sub role.

Noble is not required this week - there is no matchup for him.
Yep I’d like to see Ginni start on the ground. And I’d love a fairy tale GF for Noble, but I don’t think we’ll see it.