50 years ago -Jim O’Dea & John Greening incident

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Re: 50 years ago -Jim O’Dea & John Greening incident

Post by Presti35 »

^St. Schoolgirl
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Spazza

Post by Spazza »

To this day John Greening is my all time favorite player, even with all the past and current champs we have had, in my mind he is supreme at least in my boyhood mind.....
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Spazza wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:33 pm To this day John Greening is my all time favorite player, even with all the past and current champs we have had, in my mind he is supreme at least in my boyhood mind.....
Spaz I agree.

For those who demur I point out that every player needs to be viewed in the context of his time and his contemporaries. There wasn't a player in the competition who could match him and I'd back him to slide seamlessly into ANY list right now. He was that far ahead of his time.

Len Thompson, Peter Daicos and John Greening were all generational players who actually changed the game. Jeans and O'Dea cost us 2 - perhaps 3 flags - given normal circumstances.
Spazza

Post by Spazza »

jonmac1954 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:08 am
Spazza wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:33 pm To this day John Greening is my all time favorite player, even with all the past and current champs we have had, in my mind he is supreme at least in my boyhood mind.....
Spaz I agree.

For those who demur I point out that every player needs to be viewed in the context of his time and his contemporaries. There wasn't a player in the competition who could match him and I'd back him to slide seamlessly into ANY list right now. He was that far ahead of his time.

Len Thompson, Peter Daicos and John Greening were all generational players who actually changed the game. Jeans and O'Dea cost us 2 - perhaps 3 flags - given normal circumstances.
Here, here Jonmac