"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

What was with the bullshit that Yumi said the next day about being close to tears, having a boyfriend/fiance?

WTF is her having a boyfriend got to do with it? Some lame arse "I'm not a lesbian" thing? so frigging what has that got to do with the price of cocaine in St Kilda? :?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

stui magpie wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:Bored housewives looking for an escape from their private hell I daresay
There's an opportunity for you right there :P :wink:
You know, we joke about it, but sreiosuly I sat down and watch five minutes of 'The Circle' and I tried to understand what it must be like to be a housewife with young kids and no career and nothing to do all day but sit and watch The Circle. I could literally feel my mind and my soul melting away. I didn't even have the void to comfort me such was the vastness of the nothing

These poor, poor women need to step outside and realise that life is for living, not enduring

(For the first time, I did empathy! It was not pleasant)
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

back in the 70's they had valium and Mike Walsh.

Now they have woodstock, the kids ritalin and foxtel.

Start making a delivery range of breakfast pizzas and deliver yourself to every female customer. You won't need to go on the bike for a while. :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

OEP wrote:The private apologies made to Corporal Roberts-Smith were half-hearted, as alluded to by him during a morning show interview, and in any event a public apology should be made by both of them. The insulting remarks were made on the national stage and so should the apologies.
Oh, I'd bet on it: groveling, corporate lawyer-scripted, 'sincere' apologies. And they'll be public because the public needs to know that making fun of Our Troops is just not on. God bless Australia.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
OEP

Post by OEP »

David wrote:
OEP wrote:The private apologies made to Corporal Roberts-Smith were half-hearted, as alluded to by him during a morning show interview, and in any event a public apology should be made by both of them. The insulting remarks were made on the national stage and so should the apologies.
Oh, I'd bet on it: groveling, corporate lawyer-scripted, 'sincere' apologies. And they'll be public because the public needs to know that making fun of Our Troops is just not on. God bless Australia.
You can make some very immature comments at times David. Also please don't make reference to the Australian soldiers as being "Our Troops" because that would include you in the "Our" and clearly you have no respect for them or what they do.

On making a public apology it's not about appeasing the Australian public it's about like for like. You make the comment in private then you make the apology in private, you make the comment in public then the apology is made in public. If you don't have the courage to make a public apology then don't make those sorts of comments via the public forum.
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
OEP

Post by OEP »

A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by think positive »

rocketronnie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:By the way, once you've consoled enough soldiers draped over bars in a pool of nihilism you know the tough talk is a load of Hollywood codswallop, too. Why people talk tough on behalf of soldiers who themselves don't talk tough is always beyond me.

Respect for doing a very tough job well, I say. Silly mythology not required.
Because nationalistic chest beating is always a good substitute for real thought my friend. Most soldiers loath it and always have. Its the sort of stuff reserved for self important civilians, newspaper proprietors, and those who have never seen action tucked safely away behind the lines with no intention of going anywhere near anywhere dangerous. Most civilians can't understand that most soldiers in combat are fighting for themselves. maybe for their section and that the rest of the eyewash, the regiment, the nation, the flag, the folks back home, do not matter one bit.

Most civilians have no idea of what war is actually like and quite frankly, they wouldn't want to either. Instead they are addicted to the notion of national service, flag and country. Most of them have no idea of the military history they espouse to respect so much. They are given a few myths in school and from TV and they think that's real. Most of it is crap. The pile of crap has got so high, you would think that being cannon fodder is almost the only thing we are good at (apart from sports of course). The populist histories that have deluged our bookshop's shelves over the past few years haven't helped either. Most of them are worthless apart from one or two gems. They only add to the crap pile instead of reducing it.

Such is life I guess.....
where were you in combat?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

OEP wrote:Irrespective of your feelings about soldiers or the nature of the Victorian Cross the comments made were completely unnecessary, personal in their nature, highly insulting, and made on a national stage.

These comments were always going to picked up by the media network and broadcast over and over again, a seasoned professional like Negus must have known this yet he still chose to make his comment. Yumi is immature and inexperienced and it showed.

The private apologies made to Corporal Roberts-Smith were half-hearted, as alluded to by him during a morning show interview, and in any event a public apology should be made by both of them. The insulting remarks were made on the national stage and so should the apologies.
+1
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

I haven't seen the insulting comments

They must have been along the lines of 'he's a soldier because he's not smart enough to get a real job' right?

Post by 5150 »

Nick - Pie Man wrote:I haven't seen the insulting comments

They must have been along the lines of 'he's a soldier because he's not smart enough to get a real job' right?
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/842 ... g-war-hero

Although the only thing I took out of that was I should donate my organs and shop at Kmart...
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

The bogans and half-minded idiots that are jumping at these shadows need to be 'offended' every so often
rocketronnie

Post by rocketronnie »

think positive wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:By the way, once you've consoled enough soldiers draped over bars in a pool of nihilism you know the tough talk is a load of Hollywood codswallop, too. Why people talk tough on behalf of soldiers who themselves don't talk tough is always beyond me.

Respect for doing a very tough job well, I say. Silly mythology not required.
Because nationalistic chest beating is always a good substitute for real thought my friend. Most soldiers loath it and always have. Its the sort of stuff reserved for self important civilians, newspaper proprietors, and those who have never seen action tucked safely away behind the lines with no intention of going anywhere near anywhere dangerous. Most civilians can't understand that most soldiers in combat are fighting for themselves. maybe for their section and that the rest of the eyewash, the regiment, the nation, the flag, the folks back home, do not matter one bit.

Most civilians have no idea of what war is actually like and quite frankly, they wouldn't want to either. Instead they are addicted to the notion of national service, flag and country. Most of them have no idea of the military history they espouse to respect so much. They are given a few myths in school and from TV and they think that's real. Most of it is crap. The pile of crap has got so high, you would think that being cannon fodder is almost the only thing we are good at (apart from sports of course). The populist histories that have deluged our bookshop's shelves over the past few years haven't helped either. Most of them are worthless apart from one or two gems. They only add to the crap pile instead of reducing it.

Such is life I guess.....
where were you in combat?
I've been under active fire in a war zone, if that's what you are after - not that it means anything. I've had long talks with the solders who were there alongside me.

Also in the mid 1980's I interviewed about 60 Western Front veterans as part of an AWM Oral History Project. My views above are formed largely from what they said. Nor are their views that different from things said by two of my Uncles (WW2 2nd AIF veterans and my father, a WW2 RAAF veteran). You'd be surprised what veterans can say when they think someone really wants to listen. Speaking with more recent combat veterans, I don't think things have changed that much.

What I've described is far from anything new or radical. Most credible oral histories will contain similar thoughts from veterans. You won't find too much fight for the nation, kiss the flag patriotism. That comes from newspapers and politicians, and the public who, apart from ex-combatants, know little about war at all.
"Only the weak believe that what they do in battle is who they are as men" - Thomas Marshall - "Ironclad".
think positive

Post by think positive »

so i take it your some kind of reporter?