Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

Cool!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

That comment about how he works summed him up. I read a comment somewhere from Tay who said Ginni shadowed him for the preseason and by the end it was him chasing Ginni.

Kid is a gun. I hope he never loses the enjoyment in what he does.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

He seems like a nice kid,who has been unfairly maligned by the media and opposition supporters.But at least he gets a lot of love from the Collingwood family,and that’s all that matters.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

stui magpie wrote:... doesn't have a bag of evasive tricks, just serviceable overhead,

Love the kid.
...yet

The best part about young Ginni NOW is that you know he will get the ball, and he follows up with precision kicking for goal.
ditto with Elliott... but Elliott is faster, stronger and tackles like a bull.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

stui magpie wrote:Very smart footballer, playing very bloody good football.

After the ducking furor he's just got on with it and got the ball in other ways, except for the one last night.

I think I noticed him during the 2 finals doing more in the chase and tackle than he had previously. It's clearly not second nature to him but it again shows how he can learn and adapt.

I've been trying to think of a past player, from any club, who he plays like and I can't. he's not overly quick or strong, doesn't have a bag of evasive tricks, just serviceable overhead, if anything he's like a bush footy full forward. His superpower seems to be just knowing where the ball is going to be and getting in good positions. Just a natural forward who also happens to work very hard on his craft.
Time for me to be hung, drawn and quartered - Stephen Milne? :P

- Ben
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ I had the very same thought…

Watching Ginni keep tunnelling under the legs of Mundy in the last quarter just to be an annoying little s.o.b was very Milnesque.
npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Fingers crossed that he can be as good as Milne. As disliked as Milne was, he was a gun of a player.
275 game career averaging 2 goals a game.
Side by side.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:He’s fricken awesome!
+1.

Jack ignore the naysayers and continue to do what you do. I implore you to keep on doing what ur doing. So do what you do do well.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
skaman
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by skaman »

Put me down as well. My comparison is Stephen the Therapist Milne as well
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Milne wasn’t anywhere near the player Ginnivan is - he was too small to have an impact in finals. He played 16 and kicked just 25 goals. Of those, 4 came in a thrashing of Sydney and 3 came on a night when they thumped us. I think the only finals game where he made a significant contribution to a victory was their 2010 QF against Geelong. He tended to be a symptom, rather than a cause, of St Kilda’s victories.

Although Ginnivan is a very different player from Andy Krak, he has the same capacity to create goals from nothing. A player who kicks 3 team goals from the goal square is a very different proposition from a player who kicks 3 from 50/50 (or worse) situations. He is still learning his trade. If he continues to improve at his present rate, he could easily be one of our most influential players in a couple of years. Not too many players - still less small forwards - manage to get near 40 goals in a season - and even fewer do it before they turn 20. Breust, eg, didn’t even play a senior game until he was 20 and 1/2.
think positive
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by think positive »

the Milne comparison is such an insult

and i dont see it

Milne begged for frees, Jack just gets on with it. Every. Single. Time.

Jack is Jack, he's a freak, he's our freak, and he's an awesome freak!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

npalm wrote:Fingers crossed that he can be as good as Milne. As disliked as Milne was, he was a gun of a player.
275 game career averaging 2 goals a game.
I always admired Stephen Milne as a small forward for those figures. They do have similar attributes and Ginnivan has every chance to have a similar output.
That would be fantastic.
go pies
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Jack Attack

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

Interesting to watch him in the close games we have won. Right toward the end he is in the thick of the play in most of these games - often just holding things up or tackling.

His block on Saad to allow Elliot to kick the winning goal against the Blues is a good example.
I think therefore I think - I think
Jezza
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 322 times

Post by Jezza »

think better wrote:His block on Saad to allow Elliot to kick the winning goal against the Blues is a good example.
That's a classic example of Ginnivan's high footy IQ.

It won't be shown on the stats, but that was pivotal in giving Elliott a clear pathway to kick the winning goal.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆