Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

As I say, in nigh on 60 yrs a Piesman, ive never seen a young player, a kid, cop as much flak, boos, as Jack has, and i go right back to the days of a young Barry Price, Len Thompson (played his first game at 17), Kink, (was just 16), McKenna, the Shaws, going on into the 80s, Daicos, Banks, Millane, 90s, Clokes, Roccas, etc beyond, to now. Ive never seen anything like this, its outrageous, and must cease.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by Presti35 »

Might just have to go and put a #33 on my blank Pies jumper then.

The media and all the sooks out there can get farked. Ginnivan is a saint.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Piesnchess wrote:As I say, in nigh on 60 yrs a Piesman, ive never seen a young player, a kid, cop as much flak, boos, as Jack has, and i go right back to the days of a young Barry Price, Len Thompson (played his first game at 17), Kink, (was just 16), McKenna, the Shaws, going on into the 80s, Daicos, Banks, Millane, 90s, Clokes, Roccas, etc beyond, to now. Ive never seen anything like this, its outrageous, and must cease.
Totally agree with you. That is why I have never rated the hacks in the footy media, except for a very few. These so called journos seem like they are fallback fools who weren’t good enough for other more prestigious roles. You can tell that they go with the usual flow of loving their team, treating other teams with equal warmth and of course hating Collingwood. Not many brain cells required for that role, just followers and never leaders.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

I would love nothing more for Collingwood to ban all media from anyone who’s on the Collingwood payroll and pursue legal action against individuals bias and defamation toward the club/players, with all the might that Collingwood has.
no second chances
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Rising Star - Jack

Post by Harrysz »

In following the Pies for 60 years, Nick Daicos is the best first year player I've seen. Others have shown brilliance in their first seasons but no one has come close in their first season to Nick's level of class at such a high and consistent level.

Ok, Nick is the best first year player in the AFL by a mile, but what about Jack Ginnivan! For all of the rubbish that's unfairly been written and said about him he finished fourth in the Rising Star award. That's massive. He deserves credit as does the coaching staff. Jack is a future star!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Hear hear! It’s a miracle he didn’t quit footy, but put his head down and kept fighting.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Skids »

5 goals against the bombers and the medal on ANZAC day.
3 goals on 5 occasions
2 goals in 5 games and singles in every other game bar 3 this season.

The Pies would not be in the top 4 were it not for Jacks consistency.
He is also pretty accurate when shooting for goal, scoring 36.18.

I love the kid.... and so do my daughters :wink:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

Such a big effort for a kid picked up off the rookie list. Such a smart footballer.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by think better »

He should also win the award for the continuing trend of 'cheeky' small Collingwood players eg. Lou Richards.

His kicking skill seems to be elite both feet and just about never misses a target or a goal
I think therefore I think - I think
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

When he is not kicking goals, he will be running/chasing/leading, pressuring the opposition, offering assistance/creating opportunities for his teammates.

And more fun than Daisy Thomas.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I keep hearing commentators and others call him “small” and “little man” but he’s 185cm! Solid build too. Grown a fair bit since we rookied him
Pies2016
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:Such a big effort for a kid picked up off the rookie list. Such a smart footballer.
Yep. Very smart and instinctive. I always wonder about players training commitments and their desire to improve but Hine recently declared him as a hard worker in both the off season and on the track. 12 months ago he never ventured outside the 50 metre arc and now he’s winning contests up the ground and using the ball well. His improvement from a good VFL player to a 36 goal small forward in the AFL is an absolute credit to all his work ethic at training.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by stui magpie »

You can also see it in his goal kicking. Anywhere within range, he deliberately lines up and whether he's going a drop punt, a checkside or an around the corner, he doesn't hope it's going through he expects it to go through.

Lots of practice.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
orie
Been liked: 2 times

rising star. Jack

Post by orie »

The other special thing about Jack is his attitude and demeanour
He cops a lot from opposition players and the crowd and isn't a favourite of the umpires.
But he doesn't" whinge and complain.
He just keeps smiling and moving onto the next contest.
Unlike some of the stars like Franklin and Dangerfield.

And he is smarter than people realise.
I feel hh will get even better as time goes.
Just love this boy..
'MADE IT LEGENDARY'