Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by derkd »

^ Collingwood I assume your talking of?

Got to remember this battle for pick 13 (who ever gets it) and it sounds like clubs will be stumping up alot for it. Is but the first leg.

You THEN have to battle with Port, who don't want to let Houston go, and are going to make it s difficult as possible.

I am just saying, if this deal is going to be such a level of distraction from other things that could be done, or deplete our draft hand, I would prefer to go the the draft and get what we can for thr players who are going, and if Port are happier, put our focus on a young key forward in Lord.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Here are my Thoughts I have going into the Trade Period:

I would not mind us getting Tomlinson on the Cheap. Give us some Depth Tall. Did well with Roughead and Dunn in Past

Dan Houston be a Great Get but think might cost us too Much

Be great to get Pick 13 in Noble Trade but doubt it Happens

Matt Kenndy from Blues be a Good Get as a Inside Bull to help Tom Mitchel as he also has 1 year left

Hobbs also be a Good Get IF we get him Cheap

Won't be Desperate for Mids after getting Perryman Signed on Friday

We really need to get some KPP Players but not sure who. Doubt Lord leaved Port

So now for Discussion and Arguments for the Trade Period in 2024
I am Da Man
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ Dont think Hobbs is leaving Essendon now. I feel like its either Houston or Kennedy for us as we wont be able to get both. Lord I still think is a chance if Joe is going to Port.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Reckon unless Lord wants out, he will be harder to get out of Port than Houston. Dixon retired and Marshall on concussion derailment leaves just Georgiades and Finlayson as KPFs on their list.

The KPF market has heated up also with Brions joining the dees, tigers, saints and swans all seeking a KPF
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
SLORT
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

I think the club at the moment is in a bit of "you can have the one lolly now, or if you wait and don't eat that one, then we'll give you three lollies later." So desperately certain that our list is flag-worthy that we'll only accept immediate rewards. Maybe this is also a reason why GW is gone. Just remember that another club that thought like this was Richmond. And how quickly they went back to the mud.

So, say we could get GC's #1 pick from next year for Noble? And we also keep our own. And we take those two picks to try and nab something meaningful for the following season?

At this point I'm kinda hoping that we don't get many trades done as I feel getting more filler in areas in which we aren't statistically weak is not only silly, it's actually counterproductive to our near to long term future.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

SLORT wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:12 am Just remember that another club that thought like this was Richmond. And how quickly they went back to the mud.
With three flags in 4 years...

If you were a Richmond fan would you hand two of those back in order to be in a better (say top 4) position now?? Because you cant have both. As "successful" as people say Geelong and Sydney are, they havent exactly filled the cabinet with cups.

So you can either be richmond or hawthorn (a couple flags in succession and then down you go) or sydney and geelong where you play finals every year, play a grand final every 3 years and win a flag every 10.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Fly has an unwritten but understood obligation to every Collingwood fan.
Win every match you possibly can.

This is the same for every coach in every sport everywhere.

Sure there's lots of stuff rattling around everywhere that he has to track and manage but in the end winning matches comes first and foremost all the time.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

piffdog wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:18 am
With three flags in 4 years...

If you were a Richmond fan would you hand two of those back in order to be in a better (say top 4) position now??
Richmond brought in what they were lacking, Lynch, in order to win 2 of those flags. Their stars were also still at, or under, 30.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

It's an incredibly complex balancing act.

IMHO the circumstances of the 1958 miracle flag win define this club - or should define it.

Side by side isn't just a slick motto for the media - if you haven't already - study the 1958 GF and the 3 GF's preceding it.

Melbourne were a super team at this time - simply jam packed in every position with class.

In sports terms they were a team of super men, but on that last Saturday in September they succumbed to the unrelenting man to man pressure of a super TEAM.

The Pies were a deeply inferior team in nearly every position but team spirit and pure heart carried the day.

This is what the Pies were about that day and what we gradually lost that in the decades that followed.

To a large part Fly has restored this but anything that disrupts that cohesiveness needs to be avoided like poison - getting involved in a bidding war is just such a thing. By all means improve the list as we can but the 1970's should have taught many old timer Collingwood supporters plenty. Those '70's team were stacked with talent but results didn't match the outlay at the trade table.

It should be clear to most that lack of depth has hurt us badly in recent times. Certainly grab any top end talent that falls our way as the chance allows but we must build depth - both in personnel and in age spread.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

^I'm reminded of the weird trading of the 80's. This article is a good reminder of what happens when clubs don't balance their approach with a dose of reality:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/02/c ... trade-war/
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

An interesting article, but please don't take this thread down a path of nostalgia. This thread has a specific topic.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

SLORT wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:43 am ^I'm reminded of the weird trading of the 80's. This article is a good reminder of what happens when clubs don't balance their approach with a dose of reality:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/02/c ... trade-war/
1980's were a truly weird time for us all LOL.

Lots of turmoil in the club too challenges and prospective challenges lurked around every corner.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

In all this, I prefer the KISS method of keeping it simple. Identify a gap, a list of potential players that can fill that void perfectly and then go after them as best as the club can with their resources and trade options. I would much rather we have a go at getting these identified players than not have a go. Collingwood is and should prioritise striving for immediate success at the present rather than in the future, however I believe that with astute thinking and planning, they can achieve both. The history at Nick’s shows many posters who are nervous nellies and want to proceed with cause lest we forget what happened in the past to us or other clubs. I don’t necessarily agree with that thinking because it is inevitable that Collingwood will have a few years of building up the team following ultimate success anyway and the prospect of retirements. So be it for the future but let’s go all out now while we are still in the premiership window.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Anyway, back to the Trade Target discussion...
It'll be fascinating viewing over the next few days as some of the big cogs required start turning to allow the player and in turn pick movements to drop.

What's a key list deficiency / attribute required?
With so much modern-day play driven from the half-backline, an A grader in 2 x AA Houston is still my preferred option given his run and ball use.
Tomlinson looms a smart decision from an insurance perspective towards our key back deficiencies.
While not the quickest decision maker, he's a reliable mark and body player. If we have Houston, IQ, (hopefully McCreery) and Maynard running past for the handball receive, it gives us multiple catalysts from that position.
If Noble does go, we lose a player that was filling that role and needs to be replaced. This is why I believe McCreery needs to evolve and switch ends.
Both have finals experience and bring leadership qualities on the training track.

Useless stat - If we snagged those two, our current list of 6x Oakleigh Chargers alumni that already bats deep - JDG, Moore, Jaicos, IQ, Naicos - all Premiership players and Macrae, is further enhanced.
It'd also result in having 4x ex-GWS players - Hill, Perryman, WHE.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-ultimate ... -155619/4/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

lazzadesilva wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:06 am In all this, I prefer the KISS method of keeping it simple.
Especially, if it produces a Dynasty.