Steele Sidebottom: a friggin' legend

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Steele Sidebottom is one of my all time favorite Coillingwood players since I started barracking for the Magpies in the early sixties. A true champion on and off the field. Over the years he has made the most of his considerable talents and has never failed to deliver for us.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Never a favourite.
Thought he should have left a few years ago
I have been proved wrong.
Thought his tackling was weak.
In the grannie his tackling was elite.
Well done son
Always thought he should have played more forward in his career.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Presti35 »

Gerry Cooper wrote:Steele Sidebottom is one of my all time favorite Coillingwood players
That's how I feel too. I absolutely love Sidey. I will never forget that goal. His final siren celebration is one of the best too.

He left it all out there and the scenes where hes cramped up with Tom Mitchell not long after the siren shows it. (1 & 2 in the Brownlow with Tom won).

It's been a privilege to watch his career.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

One of our greats. Always knew he would snag it at the punt road end.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

masoncox wrote:Never a favourite.
Thought he should have left a few years ago
I have been proved wrong.
Thought his tackling was weak.
In the grannie his tackling was elite.
Well done son
Always thought he should have played more forward in his career.
I was culling more than him a few years ago, thought we needed a hard rebuild for sure but longevity league wide seems to have been extended, not sure if that's a blip by Coll and Geel or if sports science has leapt ahead but before this year our cycle was pretty clear:

2002 GF
2003 GF

2010 GF
2011 GF

2018 GF
2019 PF

Projected

2026 GF
2027 GF

We deffo broke that trend.
Flagpies
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Sidey was magnificent.

He dominated. In the end, he played some time down back. Didn't miss a single beat. His class kept us rebounding.

He hurt Brisbane all day, and like some other of our players on the day, he was the difference.

He is Gold.
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

Club Legend. The long range bomb in the last quarter will go down in Collingwood folklore.

Such a nice feeling to describe him as a 2-time Premiership player along with Pendles. They both deserve it :)
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Rare are “two sided” players like Rusty but delve i must to other Collingwood players with that rare unique skill and up comes the Master of the Stab pass

Thorold Merrert. Like Bradman he devised a unique practice

With a tyre hanging from clothes line he stood back thirty yards and practice putting a football thru tyre. First left foot then right foot

Be interesting how Steele developed his skill
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right