The not drafting or trading for James Stewart

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

piedys wrote: I'd suggest it was the ineptitude of the McDonald board that nearly sent us to the wall, not a string of excessive under-the-table payments for one or two players?
Agree that the board was dysfunctional and its ineptitude destroyed the club.

That was the board that started the poaching war.
Paying huge amounts of money for and to some players caused a wages demand from the loyal players.
Remember back then you had to pay clubs money for players not just VFL clubs but whatever shithole interstate club they came from. So Annears scabby little SA(?) club got $300, 000 +.
Collingwood Crackerjack

Post by Collingwood Crackerjack »

So the kid can play?
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

James Stewart to play VFL for Pies?

Post by Dave The Man »

Cats are doing it with Bourke's Kid:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelon ... 6410527971

so I was wondering would we do the same thing with Stewart?

Probably not because of if he Excels at Senior VFL Level his Draft Stocks would go up and He I think he wants to play for his School

Your Thoughts?
I am Da Man
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Melbourne were also given permission to have Jack Viney play in the VFL for Casey as well.... I cannot see the harm in it if he wants to play in the VFL for the Pies.

I would assume it would help not only the club to get a better feel for him, but the development coaches could assist with the development as well.
Scotch

Post by Scotch »

We did it with Witts last year for 1 or 2 games didn't we? If we're serious about drafting the kid (and I don't see why we wouldn't be) then surely it seems like the logical path to take.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously" ~ Oscar Wilde
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

From memory we're zoned certain TAC clubs which we can source top up players from, such as the Murray Bushrangers (Ellot played a game or 2 last year).

To get a kid from a different club we'd have to make a committment to drafting him, which we haven't done yet.

Considering the father Son routine is a bidding situation, I'd rather keep him low key, feign an injury and sit out til draft time so we can get him cheap.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

stui magpie wrote:From memory we're zoned certain TAC clubs which we can source top up players from, such as the Murray Bushrangers (Ellot played a game or 2 last year).

To get a kid from a different club we'd have to make a committment to drafting him, which we haven't done yet.

Considering the father Son routine is a bidding situation, I'd rather keep him low key, feign an injury and sit out til draft time so we can get him cheap.
Works for me. Even look at sponsoring that O/S study trip for the remainder of the season.
melliot

Post by melliot »

Scotch wrote:We did it with Witts last year for 1 or 2 games didn't we? If we're serious about drafting the kid (and I don't see why we wouldn't be) then surely it seems like the logical path to take.
Difference is that Witts was pretty much locked to us through the NSW scholarship. If he agreed to come to us and we agreed to take him, it would be via one of our last draft picks. No other club could touch him.

With the FS rule, he will be subject to other clubs' bids, which we'll need to match. (eg: If we declare we'll take him with our Round 3 pick and another club declare they take him with their Round 1 pick, We need to match it with our Round 1 pick to garentee him under FS rule).

So if Hine is sure he is a goer now, then we need to keep him under wraps, to try and get him with the lowest Round possible. Then we can use earlier picks on other prospects.

Only reason to put him in the VFL is to see if he can "cut the mustard" or fit into the culture, in which case he is probably a later pick anyway.
ClokingDevice

Post by ClokingDevice »

"I'm this good"
We will feast on their bones
Scotch

Post by Scotch »

Sounds fair enough melliot :)
"Life is too important to be taken seriously" ~ Oscar Wilde
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Scotch wrote:We did it with Witts last year for 1 or 2 games didn't we? If we're serious about drafting the kid (and I don't see why we wouldn't be) then surely it seems like the logical path to take.
Also Hartley Played
I am Da Man
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

stui magpie wrote:From memory we're zoned certain TAC clubs which we can source top up players from, such as the Murray Bushrangers (Ellot played a game or 2 last year).

Geelong has not Commited to Bourke Yet
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Dave The Man wrote:Geelong has not Commited to Bourke Yet
Good point, but Bourke is from Qld and doesn't play TAC cup in Victoria.

The same principle does apply though, maybe they want to see how he goes as he's not touted as a high draft prospect they don't have much to lose.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man

Post by Dave The Man »

Very Good Point Though Bourke was Voted as a MVP in the U-16 Champs
I am Da Man
MagpieBat

Post by MagpieBat »

If you have Fox Footy, tune in right now to see the U18 Championships. Stewart is playing for Vic Metro, wearing #38 up at full forward.
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am MagpieBat.