Sanderson sacked as Adelaide coach

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bucks2014

Post by Bucks2014 »

Robbo and Gerard stating it was driven by the leadership group. I never thought they had this much power. Obviously they do.
"Still waiting for your call Caroline ... not a quote in sight. Don't ever presume to speak on Collingwood's behalf,"
BBHS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BBHS »

Bucks would have already offered him Lappins job
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

AFL 360 reporting the leadership group of senior players led the charge to get him sacked.
Don't know why he seems to be a very decent coach and bloke.
Now bluey McKenna is under the pump apparently with there review.
I put up a few weeks ago Bomber Thomson to the suns he has runs of the board to build quality lists and coach young players well.
Goodwin is the early favourite to get the crows gig but has been offered a 5yr deal by the Dee's apparently so he has a decision to make.
The merry go round could be in full swing soon.
We need a high quality experienced coach for sure to assist bucks. Harvey is solid at best, Eade is a dead set dud has no idea on the modern game.
Get rid of Eade and grab Sanderson or McKenna immediately.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Tail wagging the dog stuff.

I noted on the Open Mike with Stewie Lowe that St Kilda's leadership group if not being responsible for the sacking Stan Alves, Tim Watson and Malcolm Blight (although Grant Thomas did a good job white anting Blight as well) at least contributed to it.

He mentioned about having issues with each of them in a diplomatic way but the implication was that he and the leadership group raised concerns and each coach was ultimately removed by the board.

That served St Kilda well didn't it and to be frank it's probably about as much as Adelaide deserve without knowing the full story (but Sanderson's pedigree is second to none and he's always impressed me as a person).
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bucks2014 wrote:Robbo and Gerard stating it was driven by the leadership group. I never thought they had this much power. Obviously they do.
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Player empowerment is a good thing, to a degree. Once the inmates take control of the asylum.............
Last edited by stui magpie on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

^ But we had to sack staff as we couldn't afford them under the new salary cap rules...

Not sure how we could afford him.
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

Interesting that great mates Sanderson and Buckley both seem to have encountered some problems with there respective playing groups.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Albert Parker

Post by Albert Parker »

I think Sanderson was considered too soft

- went easy on the players in year 2 pre-season and they dropped down the ladder quite notably
- this season he was making all sorts of excuses about 6 day breaks and how hot the temperature was in Brisbane in 25 degree heat. The following week they'd inevitably lose

I wouldn't mind him in a senior role alongside Bucks. Bucks wouldn't allow softness to creep in (possibly he is too hard) but would work well with him.
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Surely they must have lined up Thompson for the job before sacking Sanderson.

Goodwin has only been an assistant at Essendon hasn't he?

If our season turns to shite next year and we need to be looking to replace the coach then Leigh Tudor is the assistant coach I'd be going for.

Like Hinkley is the quiet achiever always overlooked but wherever he has gone success has followed.

First Geelong, then St.Kilda, followed by Sydney and now North Melbourne all at times they've made prelims or been in/won grand finals.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:Gerard Healy saying on 3aw Sports Today that he knows where Sando is headed to , and it's not Collingwood.
Unless he has spoken to him personally how would he even know.

Even then it would be strange to be sacked as a senior coach only to have a new job coaching position offered to you that very same day.

Perhaps Sanderson/Healy knew about his sacking prior to today?
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

^^^^^^^John Blakey??

He's got the runs on the board as an assistant as well.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Essendon's Mark Thompson has effectively ruled himself out of the vacant Adelaide coaching role.

When contacted, Thompson, who is good friends with Sanderson said,

"No, I'm not interested"

"I wouldn't go there, especially now"
winpies
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Sanderson sacked

Post by winpies »

I find this decision to be amazing! Apparently senior player driven as a few of them not happy with him as coach but also a few not happy with the decision to sack him. Could be a few wanting out.

What about Sando as assistant coach with Bucks?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-17/sanderson
carn the mighty pies!