Suspension during finals

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
swoop42 wrote:Accidental head on head contact.

You shouldn't miss a final because of that.
I agree, but that is the rule.

The rule needs to be changed, so that incidental head to head contact does not attract a penalty. If he'd collected Selwood with his shoulder or elbow, even accidentally, then I'd be in favour of a suspension, but not when it's a clash of heads. Seriously, Selwood is a sook and a lagger. Just hope he doesn't win the bloody brownlow.
It's not accidental, it's negligent, given the choice to bump.

I think the logic of the rule is sound. A player engaging in a dangerous act (a bump), needs to take every care not to do damage to his opponent. If as a result of his choice to bump there is a head clash then that is his responsibility.
I know it's negligent and I agree that the logic of the rule is sound. However the rule is stupid, given the nature of footy. A game where players are encouraged to crash and bash into each other in fierce competition for the ball cannot apply the usual rules of negligence unless we want the game to become more like basketball. IMO incidental head contact should not be covered by this rule.
AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

I probably agree with you. The difficulty would come when a player is concussed or has his jaw broken in an incidental head clash caused by a player bumping negligently.
Well done boys!
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
swoop42 wrote:Accidental head on head contact.

You shouldn't miss a final because of that.
I agree, but that is the rule.

The rule needs to be changed, so that incidental head to head contact does not attract a penalty. If he'd collected Selwood with his shoulder or elbow, even accidentally, then I'd be in favour of a suspension, but not when it's a clash of heads. Seriously, Selwood is a sook and a lagger. Just hope he doesn't win the bloody brownlow.
It's not accidental, it's negligent, given the choice to bump.

I think the logic of the rule is sound. A player engaging in a dangerous act (a bump), needs to take every care not to do damage to his opponent. If as a result of his choice to bump there is a head clash then that is his responsibility.
You don't choose to bump with your head.

You do that with your shoulder and Harvey's shoulder made legitimate contact.

An accidental clash of heads in this circumstance was just pure bad luck and Harvey himself could have easily come off worse in that contest.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Joeboy

suspension during finals

Post by Joeboy »

although this rule will change next year,harvey left the ground and there was head contact,but what really irks me is the afl/s stance on protecting the players head, which is a must, but then allows a player to have heaps of oil on his arms and then lift his arm up so his opponent then slips up his arm and hits his head result free kick, i know we,ve always had rubber necks, and selwood now has most sides with at least one or two players following suit,including young G WS boys, this should now be the same as ducking your head =no free , then it may save all clubs a lot of money in bandages
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Payback for when Lindsay Thomas collected one of our players (Reid?) with his noggin and Bucks called him out as being 'poor' or some other phrase implying negligence and he got off.
BTW Pebbles and Jason Cloke say hi, Carmen was before my time.
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:Payback for when Lindsay Thomas collected one of our players (Reid?) with his noggin and Bucks called him out as being 'poor' or some other phrase implying negligence and he got off.
BTW Pebbles and Jason Cloke say hi, Carmen was before my time.
Oh god now I feel old :evil:
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

AFL just want to make sure Swans win the flag.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Poor Boomer, BooHoo. NOT.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
King Malta

Post by King Malta »

stoliboy wrote:AFL just want to make sure Swans win the flag.
Come on, Sydney would smack the living hell out of North even with Boomer in the side.

If you want to look for a conspiracy theory then you're surer bet would be to analyze who Boomer hit.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Poor Boomer nothing, he's cleared to play unlike any COLL player!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

So he should be free to play. Just because he touched the umpires little darling doesn't mean he deserves to be rubbed out for a Prelim. Plenty worse than Boomer's non hit has got off in September.