Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm more concerned that we may have given up on securing Tom McGuane next year, given we are trading out all our draft picks.
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

Please Collingwood, just get the Noble and Richards deals done and forget about Houston.

Bring in Robertson even.

And go to the draft, we could bring in the players to build for the next 5 to 10 years.

Houston is another stopgap solution who is already 27 and you will have to pay more then his worth to get.

Let's just move on please.

I will add we need to be adding draft talent before Tasmania become a factor.
Last edited by derkd on Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

Boot wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:05 am Port Adelaide are the new Essendon as the worst team to negotiate trades with. They were terrible in the early 2000's when they refused to trade Stevens to Collingwood and were happy to loose that player for nothing rather than deal with Collingwood.
To throw a spanner at Port Adelaide, if I were Collingwood I would now aim at Jack Lukosius as part of deal involving Noble to the Suns and offer whatever Port Adelaide were offering to steal him from under their nose as revenge for wasting everyones time over the Houston deal. Whilst I would have preferred Houston, he is just a back flanker (albeit a very good one) whereas Lukosius has some potential as a third tall to add to Collingwoods scoring potential.
I really like this! Lets give em the BOOT!
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’ve said it already but I’ll be happy with Perryman, Robertson, Hayes, Tomlinson, pick 13 or another first round. Yeah Houston is AA, but I don’t like the mercenary attitude that’s turned this into a bidding circus. If he’d said yes he 100% wants Collingwood, great, do what we have to do. But his manager has just said Victoria and it’s been a mess. If we do get him, we’ll be paying overs and he’d better pull his socks up and repay the club. We’ve tried every conceivable deal and Leppa looks like he’s had enough
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:54 am I'm more concerned that we may have given up on securing Tom McGuane next year, given we are trading out all our draft picks.
^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

^ agree alot can change in a year, and he still may have a fair bit of growing to do, we are not talking super star talent, could be a solid player we get at a 10% discount
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Everyone is in love with Tom McGuane because of his Father. I get it but I refuse to sell the house to get Houston and I am the same with Tom.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:08 am ^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
Heightist much! Errol Gulden is 175cm, Zorko is 175cm...yeah, you're right, more likely he'll be shit if he's not 194cm like Long...Have you even looked at the draft prospects for this year? Most of the top midfielders in this "super draft" are struggling to make 182cm. Hell, he'll probably grow another 2-5cm next year anyway.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:05 am I’ve said it already but I’ll be happy with Perryman, Robertson, Hayes, Tomlinson, pick 13 or another first round. Yeah Houston is AA, but I don’t like the mercenary attitude that’s turned this into a bidding circus. If he’d said yes he 100% wants Collingwood, great, do what we have to do. But his manager has just said Victoria and it’s been a mess. If we do get him, we’ll be paying overs and he’d better pull his socks up and repay the club. We’ve tried every conceivable deal and Leppa looks like he’s had enough
You should read a book called "Talking to Strangers" by Malcolm Gladwell. The fundamental premise is that you never know the whole story and you seldom know much of the story at all. I would be loath to start fingering Houston as "mercenary" when it is Port who are potentially the ones who have scuppered the prior trade. While it may appear tyo be a circus, this is almost certainly amplified by the fact it is a) off season and b) Collingwood. I would much rather this than another Jordy scandal. If Houston does arrive at our club, I certainly wont be demanding he "repay the club" with anything other than the standard of football he has displayed in his career so far (I sense a little bit of this hate for Schultz too - he didnt kick 80 goals, so we're shitty at how much we ghave up to get him). People at our club may well be frustrated, but if they decide to pack it in and tell everyone else to "get stuffed" that too will display a flaw in their character. My instinct is the player wants to get to our club, but is being advised by his manager to do/say nothing which may jeopardise that potentially happening.

Bottom line: we can all think what we want, and yes, get frustrated by a perceived lack of action. We almost certainly dont have the whole story (although I get its cathartic to vent) so we need to sit tight and see what unfolds next. I hope Leppitsch and Houston's manager stay calm and sane and logically work through the next couple days.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pies4shaw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:08 am
RudeBoy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:54 am I'm more concerned that we may have given up on securing Tom McGuane next year, given we are trading out all our draft picks.
^ McGuane is only 177 cm tall and slight and could barely touch the ball in the Grand Final curtain raiser. There is no reason to be confident that he will be a good AFL player.
To be fair, he was close to pulling out of the Futures game because of gastro ( ? ) so I don’t think that should serve as any benchmark of his abilities. He may not prove to be much as an AFL player but what we do know, is that as a bottom ager in the Coates league, he really couldn’t do anymore.
The thing is with any of these F /S selections, it needs another club to call him out first, before we either do or don’t match the bid. Point being, wherever he’s called, it will be another club that rates him worthy of that pick before we get involved. Having said that, under the new 2025 diluted F / S rules, the investment to match any first round bid is now significant, so it’s no longer as easier a decision as what it used to be.
Apologies for going off topic.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:00 am I really like this! Lets give em the BOOT!
Any way this can happen? Jack Lukosius would thrive at Collingwood. We've got a few SA boys on the list that'll make sure he fits in nicely. 195cm swingman that kicked 39 goals in 2023. Stuff Port, lets work with the Suns and get this guy!
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Talk about how DEEP this draft is. It certainly has a depth of good players, but Carlton doesn't think 12 and 14 and a player is as good as pick 3.

We should consider this when Port doesn't value pick 13 + 36 + depth players for Housten.

Perhaps we don't fully understand Housten's value.
Jezza
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Jezza »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:10 pm Talk about how DEEP this draft is. It certainly has a depth of good players, but Carlton doesn't think 12 and 14 and a player is as good as pick 3.

We should consider this when Port doesn't value pick 13 + 36 + depth players for Housten.

Perhaps we don't fully understand Housten's value.
From what I've read and heard, the draft has a lot of depth (in other words it's an even draft) but the top end isn't absolutely elite.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Give... us... Houston... now... you... arse... hats... ; I've... had... a... gut... full...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Suns were willing to take Noble, Ports F1, Pies F1, and Ports 39. For giving up Lukosious, Atkins, 13, and 29.

I dont want Atkins, but can we just go Noble, F1 and 36 for Luko, 13 and maybe a later pick?