Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

Post by lazzadesilva »

Johnno75 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:44 am Brian Cook has been CEO for a while and he is one of the best with sustained success at both WCE and Geelong.

Having Wright won’t guarantee them a flag.
Nothing is guaranteed in this game but geez, his nous and experience will be worth a hell of a lot at the scum 🥺 I understand that people have to move around but to take a position with our worst enemy smacks of a revenge type of motive. I hope and pray that the scum fair miserably next season on all levels.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
scoobydoo
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Johnno75 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:44 am Brian Cook has been CEO for a while and he is one of the best with sustained success at both WCE and Geelong.

Having Wright won’t guarantee them a flag.
Exactly right. Cook was seen a genius, he couldn’t fix the scum. No reason to think Wright will. Don’t be so paranoid people.
Remember Sayers is still there
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

So who replaces Wright. Who is the next great football manager. We have had some good ones.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Magpie Russ wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:59 pm So who replaces Wright. Who is the next great football manager. We have had some good ones.
Was interesting that Melbourne Storm recruited from the AFL when filling their CEO position. I wonder if there is an opportunity to add someone from another sport, perhaps international? I mean the position itself, as Kelly is shaping it, seems to be getting separated from the direct decisions regarding football (ie, list management, recruiting, etc) and focused more on bringing in those qualified and experienced to preform those roles. So yeah, maybe look at an overseas sport, perhaps college level in the States, and see if we can find a different spin on it? Though it would help to know exactly what the position is set to be...
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

This is the CV of the guy that Ned is apparently after ~

"The Adelaide Football Club has appointed respected player manager Justin Reid as General Manager – List Management and Strategy.

Reid has spent the past 14 years at leading talent management and sports marketing company, Elite Sports Properties (ESP). He’s held a number of roles within the organisation, including managing many of the League’s biggest stars and currently heads up ESP’s AFL Talent Division.

Reid’s move to the Crows sees him take responsibility for player contracts, trading and free agency among other tasks, while reporting to Head of Football David Noble."

https://www.afc.com.au/news/710049/crow ... st-manager

To be honest though if this guy comes in it stinks of nepotism...
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ if this one falls through, fine, I'll put my hand up.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

Collingwood has sounded out Melbourne Storm footy boss Frank Ponissi for its vacant Footy GM role
https://www.reddit.com/r/collingwoodfc/ ... ?rdt=62286
https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... s-program/
Brodies Dad
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Brodies Dad »

One day in the job and Wright's influence has already improved Carlton's draft hand in the swap with Hawthorn - so Carlton now holds Picks 12 and 14 in this year's draft.

Houston is going to Carlton.

Kelly twiddling his thumbs.
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Yeah, and his influence also has Voss remaining as coach. As long as that stands, he can do whatever the hell else he likes :lol:
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Brodies Dad wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm One day in the job and Wright's influence has already improved Carlton's draft hand in the swap with Hawthorn - so Carlton now holds Picks 12 and 14 in this year's draft.
So he has actually started work there already, a couple of days after announcing he is going there and having a massive influence already?
I'm a little skeptical of this time-line.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Durka
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Durka »

Brodies Dad wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:43 pm One day in the job and Wright's influence has already improved Carlton's draft hand in the swap with Hawthorn - so Carlton now holds Picks 12 and 14 in this year's draft.

Houston is going to Carlton.

Kelly twiddling his thumbs.
What should Kelly be doing?
It's not his job to be involved in the haggling for trades - but if it was, he would be very good at it. I daresay he is much sharper than Leppitsch.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

GW is not their GM, he's set to be their CEO. Their GM is Brad Lloyd, so I doubt GW is having any involvement beyond the possible "have you thought of x". I'm pretty certain that Kelly is having just as much input with Leppa, if not more.
Magpie Russ

Post by Magpie Russ »

I guess if our administration was settled we would not be reading into things so much. We'd be saying things like "in <insert name here> we Trust".
President, GM... dragged out over a year.

First marker is next Wednesday 7pm.
i hate carlton
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by i hate carlton »

He is now dead to me.
The Black and White Lion wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 9:08 am SEN have just announced Graeme Wright as the new incoming CEO of Carlton this morning on trade radio. Will be deputy to Cook for a period and then takeover at some time in the new year. I feel very sick, might be throwing up for the rest of the day.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Jezza
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Jezza »

I'm still dissatisfied with the news, but there's no denying that Wright did a good job with us over the last couple of years. We wouldn't be so wound up by it otherwise.

Some of his notable achievements at the club:
  • Got our salary cap issues in order.
  • Exited Buckley in a dignified manner.
  • Appointed Fly, and restructured our football department and coaching panel.
  • List manager and recruited subsequent premiership players in Lipinski, Hill, Frampton, Mitchell and Markov.
  • Acting CEO for a brief period of time inbetween Anderson and Kelly.
The disappointment of the situation is the manner of his exit and the way it was handled by both parties, and the fact that he's joining an arch-rival.

It's well known Wright harboured ambitions to become a CEO one day. Whether he's up to task of being a CEO remains to be seen as it's a step up to what he's been accustomed to previously. However, there's no sugarcoating the disappointment of losing him in the first place.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆