#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Love Coxy to work on his running game and improve mobility around the ground.

Sure he has a good mark and kick on him but its the mobility ill like improvment in and ability to move around the ground quick and get to contest to contest.

Nothing like a tall mobile option for us in the mid field and set up a lead play in the forward line and cut off and pick off any oppositon kicks coming out of thier defensive 50 and drive it back into our forward 50 time and time again.

A mobile quick cox would be a sight to see.
Donny
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Donny »

Both coaches gave him their 5 votes.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^ And Mason richly deserved them too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

gurugeoff wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Everyone knows he’s backup for Grundy out and it’s likely his last year with us. It’s just inspirational to see him fight back into form and hopefully continue it into finals and go out with a bang. That’s the Mason way.

even if you can't play three ruckmen in the same team, you need three ruckmen at the club for times like these - Coxy will be a very handy backup for ruck and forward next year - especially as our window has opened early
If he maintains his form for the rest of this season I’d love him to play on next year. Our rucks in the vfl are still a couple of years away so we need the options. Didn’t Sandilands and Dean Cox play into their best form in their thirties?
BazBoy
Been liked: 43 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

For those wondering about his contract status for next season... he did sign a one year deal, but it includes a games trigger for a second year which it looks very likely he'll reach. Regardless of whether he keeps up this level of play, his dollars won't be going up dramatically as suggested.

Another very shrewd piece of player management it would seem.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

Great game from Mason, loved it.

You could play all 3 of Cameron, Cox and Grundy in the same team if the coaches did a bit of thinking outside the box.

Apart from using Bench rotations, work out a strategy that plays to their individual strengths. Grundy is good but not great as a pure tap ruck, as is his contested marking. His biggest strength is he turns into an extra midfielder with his stamina and agility.

Set positions mean nothing these days, but the 6-6-6 rule applies at centre bounces. So we get them during play to play in zones. Grundy or the first ruck owns the middle between the 2 50m arcs as ruck. The other 2 play deep forward and high forward link player or go behind the ball if required.

At stoppages around the ground you have the option of using Cameron/Cox as the ruck and Grundy as the midfielder.

There's a few different permutations, but it can work if Fly can be creative.

Cox has had minimal physical injuries, he could easily play for another 4 years as a ruck/Forward. Hopefully we get him to the 100 games.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Cam
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Cam »

Ch 7 commentary. Sickening.
Get back on top.
Presti35
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Presti35 »

There's a chance Dunstall is elevated to Legend status tonight. Lots of old Hawks teammates in attendance. That'd be a kick in the guts.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Cam wrote:Ch 7 commentary. Sickening.
I'm with you Cam. :evil:
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

That sounds good in theory Stui, and it could well work in practice. However, what we would lose is a running midfielder. I'd hate to see any of our current running players lose their spots. We are winning with a particular structure and I'd be loathe to tinker with a winning formula. I guess form and injuries over the next few weeks will go a long way determining what line-up we employ in the finals.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:what I admire about Coxy is that he doesn't give up.
His first half wasn't great, but he kept his focus and was massive.
this has happened a few times during his career.
he is not the type of player who decides its not his day.
I think it’s also shows the huge advantage of a big bloke. Early in the game they can get 2-3 players back and illegally stop him with no free kick. But as the game drags on, the players get more tired and can’t keep up and his height just stands tall.

He has had more than a few quiet games where he’s been absolutely instrumental in the last. I remember one a few years back at the GABBA, May be the last time we beat the Lions there! But he just stood tall taking crucial marks when it mattered.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Kids absolutely love him, he’s great for the club culture.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

pietillidie wrote:Very pleased for him and the team. He started behind everyone coming from overseas, then got a nasty career-threatening injury that would set anyone back significantly. An eye is not a standard footy injury like a shoulder or even a knee, and is not something anyone would've known much about.

It takes kahunas to do what he's done on both fronts, and warrants respect. Keep at it, Mase.

Spot on, a bad retina eye injury is NOT like a ankle, shoulder injury even, an ACL, you only get two eyes, thats it, they cannot be replaced, the more one thinks bout it, the immense courage hes shown, to come back at all after 4 major eye Ops, is amazing, many would have retired. And to think some creeps mock his glasses, bloody lowlife scum. Had he not been injured like that, he may have well challked up 100 games by now, he was out for ages. I never wrote Mason off, hes a beast at 7 feet tall. and id be rapt if he was part of a Magpies Premiership team, no player deserves it more, after what hes had to endure. :!: :wink:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

RudeBoy wrote:That sounds good in theory Stui, and it could well work in practice. However, what we would lose is a running midfielder. I'd hate to see any of our current running players lose their spots. We are winning with a particular structure and I'd be loathe to tinker with a winning formula. I guess form and injuries over the next few weeks will go a long way determining what line-up we employ in the finals.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell, can't see how we can carry three when they are not all good contested marks, can't afford to loss the midfield runner...a seven year contract regardless of the amount was never a good idea....