#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Josh Gabelich voted Clayton Oliver. I’m pretty sure it was him who was heard during the commentary sneering at a dropped mark by Cox as “pitiful.” Never heard of Joshy until today.
What’s a Josh Gabelich, it sounds like a sandwich you get in a New York deli.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Josh Gabelich voted Clayton Oliver. I’m pretty sure it was him who was heard during the commentary sneering at a dropped mark by Cox as “pitiful.” Never heard of Joshy until today.
Even if he decided 43 meaningless disposals was worthy of 3, to not even fit Cox in anywhere shows how little he knows. Just 1 vote would have been enough.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

what I admire about Coxy is that he doesn't give up.
His first half wasn't great, but he kept his focus and was massive.
this has happened a few times during his career.
he is not the type of player who decides its not his day.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 136 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm happy to admit I declared Cox's career finished after he was laughably horrible against the Lions earlier this year. He looked completely devoid of confidence, touch and ability to read the play. In fact it was possibly the most embarrassingly bad performance I've ever seen by an AFL player.

So full credit to the big fella. To recover his poise after being down for so long, and after 6 eye operations, speaks volumes about his character.....something I never questioned.

Today was his best 4 quarter game for us EVER - even better than the 2018 Prelim. More importantly he is now playing consistent good footy. He has proved me wrong and for that I am absolutely thrilled. Well done Coxy.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

masoncox wrote:Sorry to gloat
I could not resist myself.
Look in a few more weeks he may be back in the VFL.
Who knows???/
But there is one thing about Mason and that is his X factor.
I don't go to the footy to see process process process.
I go there to see a glimse of greatness a glimse of magic.
I still remember that Krakouer brothers combining against us at Waverley.
Somehow on their goal line Jimmy jumped in the air, grabbed the ball twisted and turned and then gave a beauty of a hand ball to Phil who kicked a goal.

Jimmy did all this whilst in the air ...twisted and turned and gave a handball off all in one quick motion.
To this day I still shake my head in disbelief.
Mason can excite the crowd...it is why the chant USA USA is so wonderful to hear.

Mate like you i have stuck fat too Mason, for months, i have never ever bagged him, at his best hes bloody good, damn good, and he worries the life out of backlines at seven feet tall as Pendles said "we all walk taller with him around". He was marvellous, him and Cameron in tandem, gave Gawn gorn, a nightmare. As jack dyer used to say 'A good big man will always beat a good little man ". Onya Mason, your courage with your eyes troulbles has been terrific too very inspiriing. :P :D
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Presti35 »

scoobydoo wrote:The AFL & afl media are biggest hypocrites ever. First Danny Frawley & now we have players taking time out off the game for mental health every month it seems. Yet it’s alright to hang shit on 1st/2nd yr players ( Ginnivan) and make fun of Cox’s sight issues. They are an absolute disgrace.
While I’m on this (hypocrisy) can someone explain why there is no alcohol or tobacco advertising in sport but gambling is everywhere. Kids can’t buy smokes or alcohol as easily as they can punt.
Hey but that’s ok coz the afl make more money from the punt.
Vote for this person to be PM
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

After yesterdays great match from Coxy , Piggy Dunstall can now stick his head down the loo, and flush the button, pull the chain. Suffer in ya jocks, Piggy.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by David »

More than happy to eat humble pie here. Absolutely proved me wrong today.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm happy to admit I declared Cox's career finished after he was laughably horrible against the Lions earlier this year. He looked completely devoid of confidence, touch and ability to read the play. In fact it was possibly the most embarrassingly bad performance I've ever seen by an AFL player.

So full credit to the big fella. To recover his poise after being down for so long, and after 6 eye operations, speaks volumes about his character.....something I never questioned.

Today was his best 4 quarter game for us EVER - even better than the 2018 Prelim. More importantly he is now playing consistent good footy. He has proved me wrong and for that I am absolutely thrilled. Well done Coxy.
Absolutely. The most pleasing aspect of his game to me were the marks he took in the backline. Cox came to Australia not knowing the game so the natural inclination was to play him on the forward line where he can take a mark. However his body is on the athletic side despite his 6’11” frame so he was always suited to a run with role where he can play both ends of the ground. Bit of a paradox, like Jimmy Stynes, which you only solve by pumping games of experience into the individual. Then you add an element of luck into the equation. Cox got his chance when Grundy went down. The only question now is can you play the three ruckmen in the side when Grundy returns? There’s no way in the world I’d drop Cameron from the side. Everything is about team structure. Play the three ruckmen, you play one less midfielder. Will it work? I don’t know the answer. It’s something McRae has to figure out.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Very pleased for him and the team. He started behind everyone coming from overseas, then got a nasty career-threatening injury that would set anyone back significantly. An eye is not a standard footy injury like a shoulder or even a knee, and is not something anyone would've known much about.

It takes kahunas to do what he's done on both fronts, and warrants respect. Keep at it, Mase.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

pietillidie wrote:Very pleased for him and the team. He started behind everyone coming from overseas, then got a nasty career-threatening injury that would set anyone back significantly. An eye is not a standard footy injury like a shoulder or even a knee, and is not something anyone would've known much about.

It takes kahunas to do what he's done on both fronts, and warrants respect. Keep at it, Mase.
There is the courage to run back for a mark into an oncoming pack. That needs real bravery.

Then there’s the courage to risk your sight. That is another level again. This man has shown more courage than most of us will ever know. It was great to see it really start to pay off yesterday.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Everyone knows he’s backup for Grundy out and it’s likely his last year with us. It’s just inspirational to see him fight back into form and hopefully continue it into finals and go out with a bang. That’s the Mason way.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Did you see Fly piss himself laughing in his post-match presser when he thought he was being asked whether there was a place for Grundy in the 22?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ Did you see Fly piss himself laughing in his post-match presser when he thought he was being asked whether there was a place for Grundy in the 22?
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Everyone knows he’s backup for Grundy out and it’s likely his last year with us. It’s just inspirational to see him fight back into form and hopefully continue it into finals and go out with a bang. That’s the Mason way.

even if you can't play three ruckmen in the same team, you need three ruckmen at the club for times like these - Coxy will be a very handy backup for ruck and forward next year - especially as our window has opened early