#46 Mason Cox

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Piesnchess wrote:Great news, i really like the lanky Yank, soon to be an aussie, he does worry Oppsition backs, if its dry track, no doubt of that, and he can ruck too.
Yeah I sometimes don’t get why he is so maligned here. He is bloody hard to match up on, he is a very good kick for goal and if he doesn’t mark it, the crumbs he provides can be swallowed by our runners and forwards. Collingwood is a better team with Cox playing.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I have this gut feeling that Cameron will continue to improve next season and play a Leigh Brown kinda role. At this stage I still have faith in him to become an asset to Collingwood. Let’s hope that I’m right.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Lazza wrote:I have this gut feeling that Cameron will continue to improve next season and play a Leigh Brown kinda role. At this stage I still have faith in him to become an asset to Collingwood. Let’s hope that I’m right.
The problem with Cameron and correct me if I am wrong.
He is very poor when the ball is on the ground and he is easily knocked off the ball either in the ruck or around the ground.
Not sure of his kicking because he rarely gets one.
He can definitely take a grab but that seems to be his only decent attribute.
Johnno75
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Cox is no better below his knees and how many times do you see defenders push him under the ball. At least Cameron is 24. Let Cameron play a few games, too early to call him useless.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
stui magpie
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by stui magpie »

When cox is playing well and we take advantage of that, he makes us a better team. Instead of focusing on what he does wrong, just focus at the positives of what he does right.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Johnno75 wrote:Cox is no better below his knees and how many times do you see defenders push him under the ball. At least Cameron is 24. Let Cameron play a few games, too early to call him useless.
Actually Cox is pretty good below his knees.
Not calling Cameron useless... just can't see anything besides he can take a good grab
K
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by K »

Pies4shaw wrote:...
We have a $100 million ruckman - we only pay $1 million for him.
Stop! Grundy's grandmother is getting jealous.

Whoever's fault it is, the club is definitely not getting $7 million value from Grundy right now. We hardly ever win clean clearances from ruck contests. And in Q1 against Carlton he again did that trick where he wins the hit out and somehow it ends up going to his ruck opponent.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

He stopped Carlton in its tracks in the last game. At one stage in the last quarter, they had the game bottled up in our defensive 50 for a series of repeated stoppages - they couldn’t get first use of the ball after any of those ruck contests and they eventually fell apart under the weight of his dominance. Some of you obviously have no ability to see how the game unfolds.

He’s only about half fit, at the moment, but he’s still our best, most reliable and most important player by a mile. He is the one player on our list capable of dominating a game completely against any opposition.
K

Post by K »

He’s only about half fit, at the moment, but he’s still our best, most reliable and most important player by a mile. He is the one player on our list capable of dominating a game completely against any opposition.
Whenever we get belted in the clearances (which is too often), you just blame Grundy's teammates and his coach.
alexjvillani

Post by alexjvillani »

Cameron couldn't get a game at Sydney in a team that lacked a ruck. He's inexperienced yes but he's just a specky bag used for ruck contests at this point.
Smoking shadows behind the mirrors - Travis Cloke
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

K wrote:
Whenever we get belted in the clearances (which is too often), you just blame Grundy's teammates and his coach.
Only after considered review and again reaching the realisation that, Pendlebury aside (I’d include Sidebottom but we seldom use him as a genuine clearance mid), our mids are actually poorly-skilled. The number of times the ball splashes all over our guys and they either give it up to the opposition or take it to CHB and then give it up to the opposition actually staggers me.

Perhaps, though, instead of just trolling my view that Grundy is a genuinely and consistently great player and that our mids generally lack awareness with ball in vicinity, you might advance a positive analysis of your own.
K

Post by K »

I'd just like to win centre clearances and not always over-pay players unless we can get the salary cap abolished.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I agree. So it’s just lucky we’re paying Grundy a fraction of his worth.
K

Post by K »

Probably no player in the AFL is worth $7 million.
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

A players worth is always subjective and not entirely based on onfield performance.

Clubs are financial beasts that require fans memberships, sponsors, and bums on seats to survive. Charismatic or colourful (however you want to interpret that) players are the key to attracting those things.

I've read (and agreed) that in the NBA, players like Jordan, Kobe (RIP), and Lebron could never be paid their actual value due to salary cap constraints; both the 'soft' cap and the maximum contract allowed to be given. All three of them (and Luka and/or Zion may add to that list) are crucial to the global success the NBA has enjoyed, raking in billions of dollars. These players are 'worth' far more than they can possibly be paid under current CBA conditions.

There is similarity in the AFL, rightly or wrongly.

Generally we as fans assess a players value only in terms of on field performance, but there is more to it (without even mentioning intangibles like leadership and stability).