Time to get #42 back on the field

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

robevpau1

Re: Time to "un-retire" Number 42

Post by robevpau1 »

Agree - a player who fully embodies Darren's spirit/values/legacy will benefit the team far more than having it sit idly behind a pane of glass. Just my opinion.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

This issue comes up every year with some supporters. However, our club made a solemn promise to the Millane family to keep the number 42 in reserve except if a member of the Millane family played for Collingwood. Any change to that arrangement would need to be approved by the family. Unless they change their mind, I think it is inappropriate for us to publicly discuss breaking our promise. RIP Pants.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I thinks its time, like the Hawks did for Peter Crimmins No. 5. But its up to the Millane family, I guess. I reckon Pants would have loved seeing his number taking the field, these days, had he lived.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

RudeBoy wrote:This issue comes up every year with some supporters. However, our club made a solemn promise to the Millane family to keep the number 42 in reserve except if a member of the Millane family played for Collingwood. Any change to that arrangement would need to be approved by the family. Unless they change their mind, I think it is inappropriate for us to publicly discuss breaking our promise. RIP Pants.
Inappropriate to publicly discuss? Echos of Pravda that comment.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ Opending any thread on the subject over the past 12 months or 20+ years, and then reflecting on the comments, you'll appreciate this subject is still raw for many supporters, let alone the family.

There is no drive as far as I'm aware to alter this legacy.
I don't view a new thread is going to act as a flash-point for change on this matter.

The Darren Millane Perpetual Memorial Trophy as Collingwood's best clubman is fitting as a lasting legacy, as was the retirement of his jumper.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

Same discussions have been made for years.
Basically it depends on the Millane family
The general consensus is that no change will happen until Darrens mother dies
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

I cant.

I dont want to hand out that number willie nillie. What happens when the player in that number makes an error? What happens every year its handed out? I'm not reliving the Millane tragedy over and over. And I'm not wanting to listen to the idiots who will talk bad about Millane every time the number is handed out.

Let's say Cal Brown took the number a few years back? Could you imagine the uproar every time he took the field? What if it were De Goey and off he went to NYC and then Bali? It will be a big burden to take that number on.

And what happens when the player asked to take the number on says no?

Is there any chance that one of Darrens nephews will be good enough to play AFL? I remember hearing one of them was in in the under 16s and in the Gold Coast Suns academy? If he was to be drafted, he must be a Collingwood player.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

I've changed my mind on this, just leave it retired forever, there's plenty more numbers to hand out
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

The point I was making was that finally a player that embodies Darren has come along in Brayden Maynard. he would do the guernsey proud.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

No sorry leave it as it is. Its ok I guess to discuss the situation but this is in the Leave it alone basket.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

stui magpie wrote:I've changed my mind on this, just leave it retired forever, there's plenty more numbers to hand out
Absolutely agree. Not as if there's not enough numbers to go around. :wink:

I get what Presti is saying too.
I'm not reliving the Millane tragedy over and over
The number 42 still brings pain to many supporters, (as well as vivid memories of an incredibly talented and courageous player). The media would gloat over it becoming "activated" again.

It's rightful place is where we last saw it in public - with him, draped over his coffin. Leave it forever with Darren.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

inxs88 wrote:The point I was making was that finally a player that embodies Darren has come along in Brayden Maynard. he would do the guernsey proud.
Bruzzy has always been one of my favourite players, even when posters on here were pillorying him for his disposal errors and brain fades, so I understand the reasons for your suggestion.
He is indeed similar to Pants in so many ways and I admire him hugely for his courage, fortitude, strength, ability to play with injury and loyalty to his team mates and Collingwood.
Because he's the sort of bloke he is, I reckon he'd probably refuse to take the number even if he was offered it, because he wouldn't want to meddle with the Millane legacy.

Plus, he's been seen wearing the number 4 at training. :wink:
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Regardless of what some of us may like, it is important that we respect the wishes of Darren Millane's mum and uphold the promise we made to her and her family.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

inxs88 wrote:The point I was making was that finally a player that embodies Darren has come along in Brayden Maynard. he would do the guernsey proud.
Post 161 games and counting, Maynard has made his own legacy in no.37.
No mean feat when taking over the mantle of Athas Hrysoulakis.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
think positive
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by think positive »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Post 161 games and counting, Maynard has made his own legacy in no.37.
No mean feat when taking over the mantle of Athas Hrysoulakis.
yep id hate to see Bruzzy change, hes made 37 his own.

im not fussed about 42, but i doubt a player would want it now, too much pressure either way
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!