Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by Pies2016 »

There’s a bit of talk around that Port and Swans are trying to broker an agreement where if Port can land #13 or slightly earlier, then they would do a swap for the Swans #19 and #22. Apparently Sydney have a specific target in mind ( which they obviously don’t believe would be there after #13 ) while Port are one of the few clubs who would split for two later picks. Point being, if it’s true, then there is a specific reason why Port need #13 more than #14. It really has gotten very messy, very quickly.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

We have Pick 12?
derkd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by derkd »

The big unknown in all of this is what does Houston want? If Carlton is setting up the picks has he (Houston) already said yes to Carlton?

Collingwood have enquired with Gold Coast about Humphrey ambitious question. Says to me Collingwood might have moved on from the Houston chase.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

At the Moment I can't see us doing the Trade for Houston
I am Da Man
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:42 pm We have Pick 12?
No. Our first pick right now remains at #36.
I think Piesnchess might have gone a bit early
SLORT
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:07 pm
WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:42 pm We have Pick 12?
No. Our first pick right now remains at #36.
I think Piesnchess might have gone a bit early
I think it was a Freudian slip...he's secretly a Bluebird...
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:40 pm There’s a bit of talk around that Port and Swans are trying to broker an agreement where if Port can land #13 or slightly earlier, then they would do a swap for the Swans #19 and #22. Apparently Sydney have a specific target in mind ( which they obviously don’t believe would be there after #13 ) while Port are one of the few clubs who would split for two later picks. Point being, if it’s true, then there is a specific reason why Port need #13 more than #14. It really has gotten very messy, very quickly.
So if we bail on Houston, give our F1 and Noble to GC for 13 (and maybe a later pick), would Swans swap picvks with us? Taking #13 to the draft would be nice, #19 and #22 could be very nice. This draft is apparently deep.

I know Fly said he wants players not picks, but I saw Leper quoted as saying we want a presence in the first round of the draft.

I said this in another thread but Fvck Port, stop trying on Houston, swap the F1 and Noble for GC #13 then tell Port if they want Richards, we want Lord and if they won't play ball Joe can either sign the contract we have on offer or walk to the draft and take his chances.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

I think the news breaking on pick 14 got everyone jumping to conclusions. Some time has passed now and many media outlets are saying that this has put Carlton out of the race for Houston unless they straight up offer 12 and 14, which they just aren't going to do.

What this does affect is Tom Barass getting to the Hawks. Can we talk to WCE about this? What pick are they willing to accept for the 29 year old defender?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

@stui magpie

Providing the above is fact, I don’t think the Swans would care who they traded with when it came to securing that #13 pick. The other side of the coin is, would we want to do that split. I don’t know the answer to that and that’s where Hine and co come can into play as to what quality they believe is still to be had ( or not ) around the twenties.
What makes this draft so different is that the depth and evenness alone, will have some clubs believing their preferred target could still be there long after their personalised ranking of that player. A club could easily rank a player at # 20 and have an amount of confidence he would still be there well into the thirties. That’s the gamble some clubs will take in this draft, while others will want the “ surety “ that comes with one single earlier pick.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

My view is that picks dropping due to FS and Academy picks doesn't impact that pick in reality.

When clubs draw up their list of players in their draft order, they may include the known FS/Academy players but they'd put a line through them. So the top 30 is still the top 30. There's several KPF's rated >#25 who would be worth a shot. I'd actually take Jonty Faull before one of the Whitlocks because he works hard at ground level and fits Flys profile.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

Still confident. Feels to me like Carlton have moved on. We shall see.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Dave The Man
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dave The Man »

One of the tv sports news reporters said Dan is flying to Melbourne tonight . Possibly “ just in case” but can’t be a bad sign you’d think.
I am Da Man
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Might be to check out Carlscum’s facilities 🙄 I remain a bit concerned that we have missed out on him.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Jezza
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by Jezza »

It's going to be the longest 4 days ahead :x
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

My guy is saying Monday (maybe Tuesday) and that Dan is set on the Pies. We'll see.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!