Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

sherrife

Post by sherrife »

I don't really understand the negativity at all... I felt better after that loss than many of our wins. We were not really beaten, we lost the game through our own skill errors, especially entering the forward line.

I was a big fan of Callum Brown for his agility and effort last year, but right now he's really on the edge, being exposed too often for his poor kicking. Needs to find a way to get another 10 metres on his kick, whether through muscle or technique. Phillips in the same category, though I think has more runs on the board.

But it would be a mistake to just blame one or two players. So many failed to deliver the ball with any accuracy to the forwards. How many marks did Cox and Checkers actally drop? Not that many. Most were kicked miles over their heads or 5 metres too short. Cox played himself into form through the game, and then had a massive mismatch, but they just couldn't get it to him. I think at the moment we could have Jonathan Brown, Buddy Franklin and Tony Lockett in the forward line and they would struggle to get a goal.

Having said that, I think it was really really dumb to play Lynch as a forward. He is a ruckman and/or a defender, why not give him the fulltime job as ruck and rest Grundy up forward? Why not put him at CHB and chuck Moore forward from the start? To just throw him in the forward line that's already struggling just reeks of desperation, and is a totally unfair way to blood a new player. He wouldn't have a clue about the structures, the system, and the players at the mooment can't even kick it to him anyway.

Having said all that, I still feel better about the game than I have for most of the year, where we barely fired a shot (even in victory). I honestly think skill errors are a confidence issue, more than anything else. (Stephenson is a different kettle of fish, no idea what's going on there, poor guy looks broken.)

This isn't our year, but whatevs. Go pies!
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Where do we go from here?
What is the answer?
How do we turn it around?
Now or future seasons ?
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

LaurieHolden wrote: Lost to the 2nd team, after they had a week off, at their home ground in a tight contest. 3 of our top 5 players out. Disappointing but no disgrace.
I Agree. 8 point loss and they scored mostly from our skill error turnovers.

Forward line okay, apart from stephenson, because the way the ball comes in is terrible and then our small forwards dont crumb well.

I don't understand how the opposition ruckman is allowed to have two hands in Grundy's back at throw ins ? The commentators call it out muscled but to me its an infringement.
go pies
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Think I read 5 Brizzy goals from turnovers
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

woodys_world69 wrote:"lets put darcy moore forward then surround him with all the other players..." sounds like a fantastic idea....

WHY wouldnt you isolate him in the forward line?
I agree with this 100%.

The last quarter should have seen the forward 50 vacant with the exception of Moore and Stephenson, and, the ball had to be played in as quick as humanly possible to allow these players to play to their strengths.

I firmly believe we only have two players who can legitimately 'crumb' the ball (Sidey and Varcoe) and perhaps,De Goey. None of these played last night.

Am I right in saying that we are the only club in the League where our players 'decelerate' when forward of centre?? I would hate to be a forward at our club.

Warburton Lad Junior pointed out during the week the efficacy of the West Coast forward strategies compared to ours. They have established leading patterns and players rarely contest the same ball. In short, they create space for each other. We simply do not do this.

Finally, the use of 5 players over 200cms is surely dead after last evening. Grundy, Cox, Lynch/Cameron, Roughead and Moore makes us too top-heavy.

Cox simply needs to give Grundy a spell. When Cox goes into the ruck, spell Grundy on the pine for 5 and use Stephenson/De Goey/Elliott, Hoskin-Elliott, Ruscoe as full forward.

When we run and gun, we look threatening. When we remain in first-gear, ball movement wise, we are legitimately a 14-18th ranked team.

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Sicks Bux wrote:^You want to hear about our player's definicies? Just listen to the commentators. They'll tell you about them all night long.
I stopped listening to their glossed over snore fests a while ago now.
no second chances
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

I use mute to eliminate the ridiculous rhetoric
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

BazBoy wrote:Think I read 5 Brizzy goals from turnovers
The modern game is nearly all about turnover goals. Which is why the game of AFL has become a bore fest.

Pretty sure 80% of goals come from turnovers. Which means, every time we watch a game, you know we ain’t manufacturing a goal without an intercept at just the right time. And don’t worry, it’s not just us. That’s pretty much how all games go. They are BORING keepings off sleep inducers until a skill error turns it over and we have a slingshot goal the other way.

Boring. Anxiety-driven football. No fun, no dare, just pray a skill error doesn’t burn you the other way. Which it will. Multiple times.
Est. 2002
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Yep a cat and mouse game in the majority. Wait for your opponent to make a mistake then feed off it

He who fails less wins
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

I was pretty abrupt last night with how I saw things but at the end of the day, we are our own worst enemy and undid ourselves with poor skills, poor decision making, and turnovers that culminated in countless scoring opportunities for the opposition. Yes - we have injuries and yes - we only had a 5 day break but come on, these are profession athletes who are paid to hit targets and not handball to their effen feet!

We stop, prop, go sideways, go backwards and ultimately turn the ball over with a soft chip to a team mate standing still with an opponent baring down on his arse. This always occurs around the defensive 50/HB region or when we try to go inwards.

Our first instinct is to palm it off with a hot potato handball instead of looking forward and going direct so much so that when we do actually get it forward it's clogged up with opposition players and we turn it over.

How many times throughout Buckley's coaching tenure have we seen this team persist with overusing the ball, making poor onfield decisions and numerous skill errors when opposing teams appear to move the ball with ease. When we do decide to do this ourselves, we actually look dangerous but we always tend to do it the hard way. Our style is incredibly taxing and needs to change. Poor Grundy is being rucked into the ground and we need to find a way to utilize his talent more and nullify the opposition who are feeding off him and winning easy clearances. At this rate he won't last 2 years.

If Rocca is still the ruck coach then he needs to go and whoever our skills coach is needs to go too. We are a middle of the road team at the moment with a list that is top 4. We shouldn't underestimate the loss of longmuir. Sando and Harvey are yes men and buckley sychophants and Buckley has managed to surround himself with mates and yes men rather than the best people available. Must be an ego thing. Sando and Harvey wouldn't and couldn't get a job anywhere else even if they tried. Their is talent out there (particularly newly retired players) but we continue on with the same old same old. The loss of Longmuir has hurt us and I think he was hugely influential in the way we played over the last couple of seasons. His loss has seen us regress and revert back to old habits and game style from 2013-2017.

I think we'll make finals and with a fit and healthy list we might even be able to challenge, but so much needs to change and go our way if that's going to happen. The bye couldn't have come at a better time for the club (and the fans).
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 179 times

Brisbane kicked one goal in 3 quarters, and still won

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Please explain
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

Buckley’s Collingwood can’t score.
We have the worst forward line ever assembled on a football field.
We have no crumbers.
We have no contested markers.
Explained.
Est. 2002
alexjvillani

Post by alexjvillani »

CakeWalkin wrote:My take on the game is

If we played Moore fwd from the start of the game, we would have won

Fortune favours the Brave

Even though the kicks into the fwd line in the last qtr were crap, Moore still managed to nearly create 3 goals. Forward insticts...
Jesus Christ could’ve been forward and we wouldn’t of won. It’s not the forwards issue it’s the delivery
Smoking shadows behind the mirrors - Travis Cloke
El Popo

Post by El Popo »

Lets not be too negative. we were missing 4 of our top ten players

If we play the Lions in the GF and had
Howe
De Goey
Treloar
Sidebottom

available, I'd back us to win
Sydney Pie
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

Forward line set up
Forward line coach (?harvey)
Lack of a genuine forward target (the top 4 teams have them - we don't)
Kicking to the opposition when we do go forward
Taking too long to move the ball forward
Skill errors: kicking to the feet or over the head of team mates
Poor decision making
Turnovers
No crumbers
This is depressing me so I'll stop here.