Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote:... my gut feeling is there was a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.
The hastiness, or at least willingness, to jettison a 20 yr Premiership player with such talent, is certainly worrying.
Nevertheless, I'm prepared to back Wrighty in for doing what's best for our club. So far, at least, he hasn't put a foot wrong.
I'm think the club will let all the post season hype over the drama dissipate over summer.
Sure, something was either done or said that was deemed beyond salvation.

The club never said anything detrimental about Stevo once he departed, and all the rumoring was left to social media, for fans to arrive at their own conclusions.
Same scenario will most likely manifest here.

Regardless, we are all pissed off over the situation, as we aren't privy to all the genuine facts of the matter.

All I'll say is - I bitterly regret his selection over Noble for the GF; too late now.
I'd rather he'd departed with nothing to gloat over.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:... it’s crap to say that he was pushed under the bus. He jumped off.
He plainly was squeezed out - the timeline basically is he came back from Bali, the Schultz deal was closed, his manager heard that Jack's name was being bandied about by the Club as a possible trade, his manager asked for some reassurance from Collingwood, Collingwood's response was that they were happy for him to look about because they thought he was behind a couple of others, he asked Hawthorn, Hawthorn offered him a 4-year contract in circumstances where the writing was on the wall that Collingwood didn't want him much beyond the contract that would have ended next year and then he came back and said he didn't want to leave but he was happy to be traded to Hawthorn, if that was the go - and the Club did the deal.

To say that he "jumped off" in those circumstances is a little like saying that the people in the Twin Towers jumped off the buildings on 9/11. You know, it might be strictly correct - but it does a fair bit of disruption to the truth and completely ignores the context.
Well said, P4S. Some much-needed perspective. (Love the new avatar, too!)
Last edited by David on Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Kingsofclutch wrote: With his speed he'd have to become a Medhurst type forward and I don't think he has the marking ability, deffo isn't becoming a defensive mid like he said.
Speed, what speed? Speed isn't really Ginni's asset. If anything, he'd be more like a James Hird and use his football nous to create goals. But he does need to improve his marking ability.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

What'sinaname wrote:
Kingsofclutch wrote: With his speed he'd have to become a Medhurst type forward and I don't think he has the marking ability, deffo isn't becoming a defensive mid like he said.
Speed, what speed? Speed isn't really Ginni's asset. If anything, he'd be more like a James Hird and use his football nous to create goals. But he does need to improve his marking ability.
I think he might have been saying his ‘lack of speed’.

Anyhoos, I’m happy with the Graham Wright for Ginnie trade
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:... it’s crap to say that he was pushed under the bus. He jumped off.
He plainly was squeezed out - the timeline basically is he came back from Bali, the Schultz deal was closed, his manager heard that Jack's name was being bandied about by the Club as a possible trade, his manager asked for some reassurance from Collingwood, Collingwood's response was that they were happy for him to look about because they thought he was behind a couple of others, he asked Hawthorn, Hawthorn offered him a 4-year contract in circumstances where the writing was on the wall that Collingwood didn't want him much beyond the contract that would have ended next year and then he came back and said he didn't want to leave but he was happy to be traded to Hawthorn, if that was the go - and the Club did the deal.

To say that he "jumped off" in those circumstances is a little like saying that the people in the Twin Towers jumped off the buildings on 9/11. You know, it might be strictly correct - but it does a fair bit of disruption to the truth and completely ignores the context.
Spot on.

It was his manager who initiated things. Collingwood didn't exactly push him off the bus, but when his manager asked where his seat was, the answer was maybe on a different bus.

My take is the only reason Wright was surprised was he didn't expect anyone to come calling so quickly. Make no mistake, If collingwood wanted to keep Jack Ginnivan, he's still be there.

The dogs bark and the caravan moves on.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Nearly wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I think he might have been saying his ‘lack of speed’.

Anyhoos, I’m happy with the Graham Wright for Ginnie trade
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
mka

jack ginnivan

Post by mka »

his size,lack of leg speed and lack of marking will catch upto him
mka
Newelly
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

What'sinaname wrote:
I think the annoyance over Jack leaving is unnecessary. From all I saw Jack struggled to take high marks, couldn't break a tackle without ducking and wasn't very good at side stepping around defenders so he was/is limited as a small forward.

The gold standard is Charlie Cameron who can take high marks, break tackles and side step. Albeit happy to say Bobby Hill outshone Cameron on GF day but he had more opportunities with forward 50 entries being 57-43 that day.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm actually embarrassed at the vitriol being directed at Ginni by Pies supporters. He was a crowd favourite in black and white, and clearly only sought to go to the Hawks when he realised his senior games with us were likely to be very limited next year. The kid is only 20 so ffs, please cut him some slack and wish him well, except when he plays against us.
Thanx RB. I endorse this comment. The venom posters here are directing at Ginni is putrid, and demoralising. I thought we were better than that.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Piesnchess wrote:My last comment, for this thread, look, like many I had a lot of time for Jack, his antics, but not now. What he said, in a piss and poo jumper , "Where I really want to be, its a dream come true", WTF ????? what you ungrateful little turd, you were only biding your time with us the friggin PREMIERSHIP MEDAL was NOT a Dream come true ???? Plenty of former Magpies greats never got that medal YOU got, McKenna, Thompson, Price, Greening, Roccas, Burns, Bucks, to name but a few, they deserved one far far ahead of you. Fact is, you could have knuckled down, seen out you contract, worked hard, you would have got games, if you really applied yoursef, players get injured, like Naicos, for weeks, you would have got matches, but you are too bone lazy. Now, if youi expect to just glide into games at Hawks, without effort, you wiill be very disappointed. Mitchell is not like Fly, hes impatient, not a farthing of Flys patience to support you and put up with your off field shenanigans. Mitchell wont cop that shit you may well find yourself playing sunday arovs with the Box Hill Hawks. !

So go, bugger off then, until you said those vile comments, I was going to wish you no ill will good luck, but not now, you did not have to say hurtful crap like that to fans who did adore you. Karma can be a real bitch Jack, so you may find that out, at the piss an poo, time will tell. !!
Jesus...(excuse my blasphemy oh lord) but you turn from doting supporter into raging sociopathic hater in a split second.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

bally12 wrote:Look, shit person but he's got some good football traits. One of which is performing vanishing acts in Grand Finals. Enjoy Hawthorn.
How do you know he is a shit person?
Have you personally psychoanalysed him?
Do you have his results for the "'Shit Person or Nice Person" personality test?
He is a 20 year old kid, no doubt immature, but weren't you that once?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

think positive wrote:It’s called venting.

We are all horribly disappointed in his behaviour. All year. He apparently
Fine to vent.
But even venting should have its rational limits.
Otherwise it just becomes plain abuse.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

piedys wrote:
All I'll say is - I bitterly regret his selection over Noble for the GF; too late now.
I'd rather he'd departed with nothing to gloat over.
I was thinking about this and came to the conclusion that, barring other injuries, if Murphy hadn't been injured, there was a strong likelihood, given his performance on the day, he would have been subbed out for Lipinski at half time.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Absolutely true all those posters (P4Shaw), (Stui) and others, who have argued that Ginni was pushed out by us.
It is obvious that if we had wanted to keep him, he would still be with us.
This was no "act of betrayal" by Ginni.
It was our decision, for reasons I don't fully understand, that he was not necessary to our plans going forward.
The media played up Ginni's childhood romance with Hawthorn as clickbait.
The venom directed at Ginni for "betrayal" is just so wrong.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

There will always be his sheperd for Jamie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sk7yFwPNvc
Flagpies