Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Meredith1965 wrote: He won the ball. I think he’s entitled to take the shot the way his way, and players cannot be a robot of others.
He's not entitled to do something ludicrous that has zero chance of working, puts the premiership at risk and does it defying a leaders instruction, individual creativity is fine, idiotic anti team behaviour is not.
Flagpies
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Kingsofclutch wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote: He won the ball. I think he’s entitled to take the shot the way his way, and players cannot be a robot of others.
He's not entitled to do something ludicrous that has zero chance of working, puts the premiership at risk and does it defying a leaders instruction, individual creativity is fine, idiotic anti team behaviour is not.
He knew that had he kicked that goal, he would have been basking in the adulation of hte Magpie Army. He desperately wanted to kick that goal, and he chose the method he felt most comfortable with.
There are many posters here who are claiming that they can read Ginni's mind.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Magpietothemax wrote: He knew that had he kicked that goal, he would have been basking in the adulation of hte Magpie Army. He desperately wanted to kick that goal, and he chose the method he felt most comfortable with.
There are many posters here who are claiming that they can read Ginni's mind.
He knew no such thing speaking of mind reading, he fell so short it was laughable and did it in direct defiance of a leaders instructions, it could have been the flag and it's impossible to excuse.
Flagpies
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I don't know the real reasons for Ginni leaving, but I don't have to know.

What I do know is that a Premiership is the ultimate validation of the club's philosopy and methodology. Wright, McRae et al have bought themselves a whole heap of credit as far as I'm concerned.

From Jack's perspective - it seems a no brainer. One year at a few hundred thousand vs the sceurity of four years and probably close to $2M. Canb't blame a 20 year old for making that decision, especially as he's not guaranteed a position in the 23.

From the Pies perspective, I'm glad they let him walk, especially if his management were trying to leverage the offer from Hawthorn. Treloar, Phillips & Grundy can attest to what happens when you overpay a player vs his worth.

We're still in the Premiership window and this is a player who is not in our best 23. It's the right move, especially now that we have upgraded to Schultz
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by shawthing »

Pies4shaw wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:There’s obviously more to this than we’re being told.Like for example the King’s birthday game where Ginnivan was unexpectedly dropped.Fly came up with two different reasons for his dropping,first saying that Ginnivan was injured,then saying he was being ‘managed’.So clearly the kid does have behavioural issues that only the club knows the full extent of.
That's likely correct. What I don't get, though, is why - even if those "issues" were the reason for him leaviung - people don't have more sympathy. There are not that many living Collingwood premiership players (about 60) and I'm not sure how I feel about bagging a bloke who played in one two and a bit weeks ago and then got emptied out on his arse. It's possible to accept that the Club has likely made a sensible informed call (or series of calls) but still be upset by the fact of Ginni leaving.
There are Premiership players and there are Premiership players. Not all are equally deserving. His performance on the day did NOT warrant his selection.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Please Nicksters, can we lay off hanging crap on Ginni. To now dissect his decision-making in the heat of play is silly imo. Let's acknowledge that he was in our best 23 on GF day, but after recruiting Schultz and with Johnson likely to be fitter, he would most likely have struggled to get regular senior games next season. My guess is that he asked the club where he stood, and they told him he'd need to improve significantly on his fitness, speed and defensive pressure, if he was to remain a best 23 player. No doubt the Hawks have promised a more certain playing future and probably more dosh, so his manager advised him to depart the Pies. Technically, Wright is probably correct saying the club was taken by surprise, but in actual fact, their discussions with him would have made it clear his future with us was on a knife edge. No need to blame or criticise Ginni. Sad as it no doubt is, I actually think the outcome will prove to be a win win for Ginni and for Collingwood.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

Magpietothemax wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote: I think most are upset Pies4 but equally acknowledge that he is pretty much a dick - remember Heath? Same deal - great player but a royal pain in the rrrs.
Not sure this is a very good analogy. I know lots of Pies' supporters who were outraged by the loss of Heath Shaw. That was a decision which starkly revealed our total inability at the time to positively deal with challenging behaviour. Yes, Heath was a maverick at times, but he loved the Pies, and an elite club would not have thrown him out, but found a way to control the deviations and harness his passion. Look what he did at GWS. I don't know what the behavioural issues were with Ginni...but I can't help but feel there is an element of tragedy and potentially failure in this as well. I hope I am wrong about failure, but definitely feel that the tragedy element is certain.
To even quote a great player like Heath Shaw and Ginni in the same breath is quite frankly a disgrace. Heater got the shove because he couldn't get on with Buckley (like a lot of the 2010 players). Ginni got the kyber because he's a ****head.
shawthing

Re: Ginnivan and Noble

Post by shawthing »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Colin G Wood wrote:
shawthing wrote:My only regret is that he has a premiership medal when Johnny Noble doesn't. That's luck for you.
Spot on - My sentiments EXACTLY

He was a September Passenger
And Noble was not good enough to get picked.
No our backline was loaded. Our stuttering forward line almost cost us the premiership!!!! We were bailed out because our midfield stood up bigtime and kicked critical goals - DeGoey 2, Crisp 2, Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Nick Daicos.

In other words, 7 of our 12 goals came from the mids and Bobby kicked four of the others! Ginnivan was a total non-event.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Ginni in 2022 brought the love of footy and Collingwood back to high levels again. ANZAC Day, his solo goal Gold Coast. Lets remember those times eh?

The roars he got when coming on as the sub showed the love pies fans had for him. It didn't work out in 2023. End of.

He's a premiership player at Collingwood, so he will always be welcomed back.
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Matthew Llyod made an interesting comment

“ If both Taylor & McStay were not injured Ginnivan would not be a Premiership player “
He went on to say that Jack has to decide and then make it happen to be an AFL footballer

And on that John Noble worked his butt off but Jack got the chocolate,s
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Culprit
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

BazBoy wrote:Matthew Llyod made an interesting comment

“ If both Taylor & McStay were not injured Ginnivan would not be a Premiership player “
He went on to say that Jack has to decide and then make it happen to be an AFL footballer

And on that John Noble worked his butt off but Jack got the chocolate,s
The Velvet Sledgehammer has transformed into Captain Obvious. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Piesnchess
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I hope jack realises, that his new coach sniper Mitchell does not suffer fools, and will have not half the patience that Fly did , with his shenanigans, he wont put up with it as Fly did, time and again. Fly backed Jack a lot, despite his indiscretions, Mitchell wont, so he could well find himself back to square one, playing for the Box Hill Hawks, while his former team mates play to yet another 80 000 packed house. Just saying.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Ginnivan and Noble

Post by woodys_world69 »

Cam wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Colin G Wood wrote: Spot on - My sentiments EXACTLY

He was a September Passenger
And Noble was not good enough to get picked.
McStay is that one that was robbed.
Whats the deal with people and McStay, he couldnt take a mark all season and was kicking goals off his shin until week 1 of finals..

Checkers rated higher in fantasy points than him from round 22 onwards.
Yes he was unlucky to get an injury in the prelim but he wasnt taylor adams
Woods

Post by Woods »

More and more Ginnivan reminds me of Jesse Pinkman.

Yo bro.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Fasolo was a good forward, kicked some good goals, plateaued and lacked pace.

Worked hard around forward contests, but I reckon they ran off him.