Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by lazzadesilva »

SLORT wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:31 pm ^Frampton! Oh wait, was that a trick question?
At this stage only Frampton has played AFL level football, so him 😏
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Seems like the Suns # 12 is the hottest ticket in town. They have declared it’s up for grabs on the back of it being burned by any Lombard bid.
Originally I thought we may be a chance to secure it as part of Noble trade but the interest from numerous clubs is very real, so I’m expecting others will offer better than Noble and any later pick.
Reckon our return for Noble will now either involve Suns #20 or Suns #26.
What we then do with that pick will occupy the biggest decision the club makes during this draft / trade period. ( I’m excluding our F1 in this exercise )

The other hot ticket in the draft is always the opening pick on the second night of the draft.
Currently sits at #21 held by the Tigers. Wouldn’t think it’s of much interest to us but given the quality of the draft, I do expect the Tigers to be offered plenty to trade it out.
Also keep in mind, pick #20 on the night will end up being anywhere between #24 and # 26 after all bids and compensation have been declared.
Gotta love the game within the game.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Well I guess the Saints have ruled themselves out of trades with 90% of the competition who have F/S, NGA or academy picks coming through.

What a sad bunch they are and can’t even profit off clubs trading out high picks. Who cares about the bad luck saints, I don’t and long may we prosper from F/S and NGAs.

Could you imagine a comp without the Saints. Even if merged I can’t see an interstate start up wanting their brand history or culture.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

And North
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pies2016 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:26 pm Seems like the Suns # 12 is the hottest ticket in town. They have declared it’s up for grabs on the back of it being burned by any Lombard bid.
Originally I thought we may be a chance to secure it as part of Noble trade but the interest from numerous clubs is very real
SEN / Tom Morris reporting the Suns want future picks, so we're potentially back to tabling our F1st along with any deal involving Noble or perhaps more likely, a straight player swap (Fiorini - refer Trade thread). Pick #20 might be still more attractive if the GCS stonewall negotiations.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

@LaurieHolden

^^^
It’s an interesting one because I’m starting to lean towards the likelihood of the club not trading out their F1. There’s a lot of balls in the air but I feel as though there’s more to be gained by holding on to it rather than trading it out.
Here’s a few reasons why -
Given Flys comments about bringing in ready made talent over the draft, it seems less likely the club would trade out our F1 just for the sake of a pick in the late teens in this draft. The wild card would be if the club were closing in on a quality player like Houston and then our F1 would likely be needed. But we’re just not hearing of Collingwood being linked with any A graders at the moment.
At some stage, the club can’t keep chasing its tail by bringing forward their F1 every year just to give them trade capital in the current trade period. Ideally, you want to be ahead of the curve, not eternally behind it.
Next year, there are some big names coming out of contract, so again, you want your first rounder intact as a starting point for any negotiations.
The new diluted F/S rules that come into place next year are severe, so you don’t want to be behind the eight ball for a McGuane bid because you didnt keep your first rounder to bargain with for later picks ( I posted elsewhere that under the new rules and at #5 as an example, McGuane would require 3 x mid range second rounders in order to satisfy that bid. That’s significant )

Whatever the outcome with our F1, it’s a big decision and comes with consequences and ramifications. I don’t see the club losing out regardless of which way they go but ultimately it’s probably a decision that's based on the lesser of two evils.
PS - North have also tabled their F1 is up for grabs, so you would think the Suns would be more interested in Norths F1 than Collingwood. Having said that, North don’t have Noble who wants to get to the Suns.
Buckle up, its about to be a fascinating trade period.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Note, after todays compensation outcomes, the GCS pick # 12 has now become #13, while their pick #20 has been revised to #23. Those picks will likely remain locked in for now until the NGA AND F /S bidding takes place on draft night. Obviously those above picks will most likely come into play for the Noble trade.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

The reason Gold Coast are prepared to trade their early picks is because they have an NGA draftee that they will be able to bid on with late picks e.g Leonardo Lombard.
Hence as long as Collingwood throw some later draft picks that add to the Gold Coast ability to successfully bid for Lombard then they will happily part with their current Pick 12 for Noble and the associated later draft picks.
It makes for some tough negotiations but given they may in turn get the same Pick back again from Port Adelaide for Jack Lukosius it is one to watch and may help Collingwood snare Dan Houston in a real recruiting coup!
Collingwood would be a better team with Houston and Harry Perryman available to boost our attacking defensive options.
The idea of Carlton's Matt Kennedy also joining his old junior footy mate Perryman at the the Pies certainly increases the depth of experienced players at Collingwood, but to fit those three relatively highly paid players into an already tight salary cap means there must be some players going out.
So I'm thinking the likes of Ash Johnson, Reef McInnes, Nathan Krueger and Finn Macrae might be traded out of the club??
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@Boot ^^the GCS permutations of the draft have already been pretty well picked over on the first few pages of this thread.

As for the Trade options mentioned, those players have also been thrown up as possibilities.
All will be revealed next week once a few of the bigger cogs start turning during Trade Week. Best keep that discussion in the Trade thread until we know how that will then impact our draft hand.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Any chance we could nab something late this draft, a Larkey-esque #73 type of pick, 195cm+, hold onto him for at least 4-5yrs and develop him into something useful? Really does give one hope when players like Larkey basically get completely overlooked and turn out to be a champion. All the hype with the midfielders this year may leave a few of these types of nuggets in the rough. Talking gold...not poop...Oh, and fun fact; Jake Waterman was taken last at #77 in the same draft. Imagine if we had those two in our team next year...
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The highest number of picks, avrg 9.2 picks per year..

One of the highest avrg trades.. and highest average games played by traded players.

Looks like we have been working our list more than the average club...

https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs

Maybe Hine can't pick em, or perhaps we haven't finished in the bottom 3 often enough to pick out as many 'Fab' players as we would like lol
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^
I think Jonty Faull fall's into the Larkey-esque camp. He's behind Harry Armstrong, Jobe Shanahan, Jack Whitlock, Alex Tauru, Matt Whitlock, Noah Mraz and Thomas Sims in a lot of the U18 lists. Was injured first half of the season but shone late including U18 finals with the GWV Rebels, I think he kicked 4 or 5 in the prelim. Big boy, strong hands, mobile.

Jonty might be there late in the 30's and 40's if that's where our draft picks end up.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

REPLACING COX:

At 33 years of age, Big Mase probably has just the 1 more season in him. And what a tremendous story it has been. Many wrote him off after season 1. Many thought he would not return to the seniors when he has a stint in the VFL. And how many times did we hear "the experiment is over"? Well he went on to play 100+ and a flag, and with some luck he may play his 150th in 2025, and who knows maybe another flag?

But with his time coming to an end (it will be sad to see him go), we need to think about replacing this very unique player that we have had. I recall thinking Elliott Himmleberg could be the guy, then I realised that he isn't really good enough and he's off to the Suns anyway. So where do we look?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1152612/do ... 8509708001

We look at this 203cm ruck that is projected to go around pick 20-25. Look at the size of him, look at the wingspan. And you guessed it, has a basketball background. :P

When draft day hits, I would love to say this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERwgNvgMmc
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Dodson has years of development before he is ready..is he a better prospect than :

Oscar Steene - Vice Man
Iliro Smit - Man Child
Alex Condon - Monster Man. Cat B, end 25. 212cm 21 Yrs old.

Cameron is 29, and say 4 more years left in him
Presti35
Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 172 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ I would say yes re: Steene. Smit has come with some big expectations and some even saying he'd be a top 20 pick this year. Where is Condon at? Do we have him? I didnt think about these guys with my post. So yeah, one of these guys could take over from Cox. But I still think Dodson looks like a very unique player.

Cameron with 4 more years gives them enough time to develop, but Cox may be gone this time next year.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!