Adams trade to Sydney ~ all comments

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

With a premiership under our belts, it's time to play the kids.

Tay's no idiot and can see the writing on the wall.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:^ We're not going to "reinvigorate" our list with pick 31.
we're not going to reinvigorate our list if he stays.
I've no interest in him staying - but it's a strange thing to suggest that him being traded to Sydney for a pick that will most likely not yield a senior AFL footballer will "reinvigorate" our list.
I agree, which is why, IIRC, I never used that term.

I assume he would still be first 23 if he stays, but he wants more midfield time and more years on his contract than it seems we're prepared to give.

Pick 31 on it's own is a meh pick, but we might be able to use it to trade for a need. As I said before, moving Tay on creates an opportunity for a young player and frees up Cap space.

I'd prefer him to stay but wish him well if he goes.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
npalm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

gurugeoff wrote:If fit, would he have been selected for the GF? No certainty in that being the case
Let's not start kidding ourselves that Adams isn't in our best 23.
He would definitely have played in the GF ahead of Lipinski or Ginnivan.

Losing him is a backwards step. We will need to use the salary cap relief and the return pick from the swans to find a best 23 player just to break even.
Side by side.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

The more I think about this the more it doesn't sit well with me. While it makes sense from a list turnover perspective and I understand the reasons for him wanting the move - extra midfield time, extra years on contract - he is a vice captain and leader at the club!

I expect more from someone in a senior leadership position who is contracted for another year.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 233 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

So this move has been in the making for longer than the last week. A lot of these moves would have been mooted early in the season. Looking back perhaps that’s a bigger reason why Adams was so emotional when he did his hammy and didn’t come up plus post gf tears, much more of a missed opportunity.

I wish him well and a strong negotiation from the pies. When was the last time a mature player sought a trade out of the pies whilst we were on the rise?

Will a second round pick or pick upgrade help us? Maybe not in a weak draft. We only have Macrae McInnes and McReery left from the covid weak drafts and Henry left like a soon. Can we bundle the pick to get up the board? Not sure unless we’re helping the Suns who need points this year and next, the lions or the giants who need points next year. We will have the junior Quaynor in train next year and junior McGuane soon after.

Given our success in the last 2 years I want to see if we can land a player who can add depth or role play to our teams needs. Is there anyone else at the Swans we can barter for. Is Stephens worth a go even if he’s picked North to get a better opportunity. Anyone else in the Swans team worth raiding?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark of the last quarter
Cuthbert Collingwood

Post by Cuthbert Collingwood »

Players only I reckon, whether that means a complicated 3 or 4 club trade or not.

Remember, Sydney have offered him a three year contract and he’ll be a first choice mid, that means his worth has to be based on that
McRae for Governor-General!
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ We're not going to "reinvigorate" our list with pick 31.
I realise that (not sure we need to devolve to smart-assery…). The point is we can’t sit on these older guys forever just because we love them.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Culprit
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:Players only I reckon, whether that means a complicated 3 or 4 club trade or not.

Remember, Sydney have offered him a three year contract and he’ll be a first choice mid, that means his worth has to be based on that
Correct and I trust Wrighty.
piffdog
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by piffdog »

Deja Vu wrote:The more I think about this the more it doesn't sit well with me. While it makes sense from a list turnover perspective and I understand the reasons for him wanting the move - extra midfield time, extra years on contract - he is a vice captain and leader at the club!

I expect more from someone in a senior leadership position who is contracted for another year.
What would you do if faced with one more year vs multiple more years? I am almost certain the club have told him privately “we can’t make any promises beyond 2024”.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

Situation with a new batch ready to progress and the emergence of Nick Daicos
The renewed commitment of Jordan DeGoey and a possible 2 years left in Mitchell

All these factors have been significant in his move to a pressure forward where McCreery set to hold prime time

I thank him and am grateful and furthermore wish him the best
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

I don't have a problem with this. Its good list management from us and its Adams looking after his future.
Look at the players we traded in this year. They had to leave a team to get here and a price was negotiated. Its football.
Thanks for the memories.
go pies
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

Fly made reference to Fin during his Copeland Trophy speech. Form memory something like the White Jersey wearer [young leader/best young rider] of the Tour De France and how he hoped it was a sign of things to come.

Curious to learn how all this went down.
If Sydney land Grundy & Adams this offseason they will be happy.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Ed Allen will play next year
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Our ability to be active in this years trading period has just gone next level with the likelihood of Adams going to the Swans.
The salary cap relief means more than any pick in the thirties and whether we replace him this year with a trade or next year with a free agent, only time will tell.
Adams is a leader and a true professional who helped to drive standards at the club and will be missed more in those off field areas than his on field contributions. While I don’t want to diminish his abilities, the truth is we just won a flag without him and the soft tissue injuries are mounting up the longer his career goes on. When the dust settles in a year or so, this is not likely to be an outcome will lose out on.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

piffdog wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:The more I think about this the more it doesn't sit well with me. While it makes sense from a list turnover perspective and I understand the reasons for him wanting the move - extra midfield time, extra years on contract - he is a vice captain and leader at the club!

What would you do if faced with one more year vs multiple more years? I am almost certain the club have told him privately “we can’t make any promises beyond 2024”.
Yeah I think that's what has happened. And given the choice you take 3 years over 1 because a football career is finite. You have to do the right thing for yourself and your family.

But it's still disappointing that a player who is Vice Captain does not want to back himself to secure a new contract at Collingwood, but thinks he's going to play 3 years as an Inside Mid at Sydney? I get that he wants to play Inside and not HFF, but clearly the team thinks we are better when he plays at HFF. Putting his own desire ahead of what's best for the team is not really what you'd expect from one of your leaders, and someone who presumably was very close to being named Captain 12 months ago