Farewell and thanks - Joe Richards

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Re: #29 Joe Richards

Post by think better »

I reckon the club has done extremely well to raise the value of trading by bringing in Joe as pick 48 and now being able to link this to a possible draft deal with a few extras for a top line player.
I think therefore I think - I think
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

In a way it's a shame we're letting him go, as imo he was far and away our best debutant of 2024. He's a very skilled and smart player. Nevertheless, given his slight frame, he was somewhat limited in his prospects of securing a spot in our best 23. If his departure, along with Noble's, helps us secure a double AA in Houston, then I'll be happy.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 113 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

This is a double edged sword really
We got him for nothing and if he helps us land Houston then it’s good
But ask yourself why would a kid who’s been given a taste of AFL at a club 1 year removed from a premiership be seeking opportunities elsewhere ?
Likely it’s his lack of opportunity here. Do we know for sure he won’t turn into a good footballer in another 30/50 games ?
We are starving kids of opportunity
Right now we have a hand full who we don’t know if they’ll make it because we keep picking them for a couple weeks or playing them off the bench and bringing them on late in the last term
Kids need a few weeks get a feel for the tempo and get used to the intensity of AFL.
Then we can send them back to the VFL and work on there weaknesses
I’m not saying we have the next Nick Daicos there but we could have the next WHE who’s been a silent but valuable team player just doing his job weekly
Sooner or later we need to give the best 3/4 under 22’s some consistent gsme time and roles in the AFL team to see if they have something to offer long term
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Also ask why would a kid lucky to be here thanks only to Ben Reid’s networking demand higher pay after only playing 10 games? And when we match Port’s offer, he still wants to go there? At this point we trade him and make the most of it.
stui magpie
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 133 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Why does he want to go? He isn't (at the moment) in our best 22, If Port are trying to get him then they see him in their best 22 each week. The opportunity to play and therefore set up your next contract has to be more attractive than playing VFL hoping for a call up. He'd be dumb not to take it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

This reminds me a little of when people were calling for Scharenberg to get game time - I went through the selection decisions and worked out that (rightly or wrongly) he was 11th in line for a half back flank.
Richards may not be that far back but he’s behind a number of other players that we have specifically recruited for the small/medium forward roles.
He’s a solid player but he isn’t a world-beater. He can’t mark or run all day in so many positions on the field like WHE, he can’t tackle and press like Schultz, he can’t win the Norm Smith Medal playing out of the pocket like Hill and he sure as hell can’t be an Elliott or a Lipinski.
Collingwood is short KPFs but has about a dozen who can play in the sort of spots Richards can play. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good footballer and won’t kick 3 goals to knock us over in a tight contest at some stage.
But if we can get a real quality set-up defender to improve our ball movement from the back half that would be a massive upgrade.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

We all suffer a bout of FOMO when we trade out players, or fail to recruit that F/S who was ours for the taking.

Richards is 25 next Month, and Dual AA Heuston 2.5 yrs older.

My FOMO rests with Heuston, if Richards is the difference, seya later buddy.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:38 pm We all suffer a bout of FOMO when we trade out players, or fail to recruit that F/S who was ours for the taking.

Richards is 25 next Month, and Dual AA Heuston 2.5 yrs older.

My FOMO rests with Heuston, if Richards is the difference, seya later buddy.
Totally; hit the bricks, you ungrateful little prick.
Ginnevan V2.0
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Here is a thought - Our basic premise is Richards is not worth a lot. I read 3rd or 4th round.

What is Matthew Owies worth? Late 2nd round?

If Port prefers Richards, he has to be worth at least if not more than Mathew Owies.
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by piedys »

Owies is worth what the market says on any given trading day.
If I were him, I'd be jumping at the first life-vest that anybody throws at his sinking boat...
Some much better players than he just got delisted, not only by Carlton...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Piesnchess
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Piesnchess »

We matched Port, and he still wants to piss off, so stuff him, let him go, he will never play in a Premiership at Port. Use him to get Housten, now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jonmac1954
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Thanks for you service Joe and bon voyage.

Both Joe and the club have won from his time with us so no harm, no foul.
SLORT
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by SLORT »

Couldn't agree more. Don't understand the sour grapes tbh.
Charlie Oneeye

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

piedys wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:31 pm Owies is worth what the market says on any given trading day.
If I were him, I'd be jumping at the first life-vest that anybody throws at his sinking boat...
Some much better players than he just got delisted, not only by Carlton...
That's the response I anticipated lol Its a fair comment, I would have made myself.
If we look at Owies' 2024 statistics, he played every game and kicked 33 goals. It seems he should have a higher value than Richards.
However, in reality, Owies is only worth what the market is willing to pay. And apparently, that's not much.

On the other hand, Richards has been sought after by Port to fill the small forward role. They've offered him a 3-year Vrs our original 1-year contract.
He has gone through a development phase and is on the right side of the odds of making it.
His value should be determined by the increased worth he brings to Port. All things given, imo he is worth more than a 3rd or 4th round.
Haff
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Haff »

^all i really know of Owies is his smart arsed prickling of our players when he kicked a few goals. From memory one was against Pendles. Had the last laugh though.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.