#12 Joshua Carmichael

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

burnsy17
Has liked: 1 time

Post by burnsy17 »

He seems to play with intent, which I like about my midfielders.

He’ll get used to the pace quickly hopefully and away we go!
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Was just thinking about Carmichaels rise through the ranks.
In his last 15 ( ? ) odd games, he has played in the Sunraysia league in 2021 and then SANFL, VFL and AFL in 2022.
Can’t help but think he’s going to be a big improver in 2023 with some stability, an elite conditioning program and a full preseason under his belt.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

There’s much upside in this kid
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
swoop42
Been liked: 6 times

Post by swoop42 »

I only saw the second half but I was impressed on a few occasions by his strength and ability to still dispose of the ball after being fiercely tackled, his kick to Mihocek showed real poise for a first gamer while he went within an inch of kicking a super goal.

Given he was running around playing country football this time last season and has had barely enough time to learn our game plan I thought it was a promising beginning.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

If he progresses anywhere near as good as other mid season man (John Noble) I will be a happy chappy
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

He has a massive leg - not worried about his kicking penetration at all. Check out some of his SANFL highlights
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Apparently he was averaging about 15km a game in the VFL which so he has a pretty good tank already and that is without a full professional pre-season under his belt...
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Johnno75
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Wow 24 kicks and 0 handballs today. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone have over 20 kicks before without a single handball.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Hungry is his new nickname.
Pies2016
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He’s such a territory player and you really want that in the wet, especially.
He had 445 metres gained at about 25 % efficiency which is still “ ok “ because when his kicks get turned over, at least we have time to set up our defence. He hatched a few today but that’s just not wanting to give it up and not quite understanding where his team mates are yet.
Add 8 tackles, an important goal and he’s had pretty decent day out. Looms as a likely permanent fixture in the midfield in 2023.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

After a tepid start today (including one surprisingly amateurish attempt to pass in the midfield that caused an unacceptable turnover), he turned in a fine performance. 24 kicks and 0 handballs, a beautiful goal and some penetrating and accurate passing out of defence late in the game.

It is informative to bear in mind that in his entiere, shitful 206 apperance (you wouldn't really call them "games" because that would just be an exaggeration) career, Adam "run it backwaqrds and handball sideways" Treloar, the alleged "line-breaker", has never had 24 kicks in a game of football.
MC's Mix

Post by MC's Mix »

Pretty unfair to compare him to Treloar, who was a pretty good contributor for us for a number of year, and bled black and white while he was here. We might have paid a bit too much and we certainly got shafted in the trade out, but neither of those were his fault.

Carmichael's disposal today (yes in the wet) was pretty poor, which reminded me a bit of Treloar at times though!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Unfair to Treloar, perhaps, not to Carmichael. The lad was very competitive, which I didn't really expect.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

MC's Mix wrote:Pretty unfair to compare him to Treloar, who was a pretty good contributor for us for a number of year, and bled black and white while he was here. We might have paid a bit too much and we certainly got shafted in the trade out, but neither of those were his fault.

Carmichael's disposal today (yes in the wet) was pretty poor, which reminded me a bit of Treloar at times though!
Terrible comparison with Treloar. We were to blame for just about every event in that disastrous situation. I for one wish he still played for Collingwood.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

And yet, it's completely accurate - Treloar has played 206 games and never had more than 21 kicks. In his second game, about as fit as a Christmas pudding and nowhere near the pace of the game (as you would expect, given that he has been training at a professional club for a few weeks), Carmichael had 24. There's a lot to like.