Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Re: How many frees to Grundy???

Post by PyreneesPie »

piedys wrote:.
It is now a family environment, not the free-for-all it was back in the day at the Yarra Falls end at Vic Park, where one could, errr... speak their mind [the truth!]
Oh goodness piedys. You wouldn't by chance have been involved in any of the fisty cuffs that I witnessed back in those days??? At least if you positioned at the Yarra Falls end, you would have had plenty of back up :wink:
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

PyreneesPie wrote:^ Agree!!!
What really mystifies me is the lack of protest from Eddie. Is it that he does not want to be seen as whinger (although that has not stopped him in the past) or that he wants to put himself in the good books with the AFL? If the latter, why?
What irks me is that we often see Eddie cosied up with Gil - they're like best mates (I think it serves both their egos well), and so Eddie doesn't want to upset that relationship. I suspect Eddie thinks he has clout on big issues such as salary cap, draft concessions, list sizes etc. and doesn't want to compromise that by complaining about "minor" things such as fixturing (ones that can cost ladder positions, and by extension, premierships) - but surely even Eddie can see the hand we've been dealt this year???!!! You're right - he should be making a stand - no-one else will for us. Maybe some magpie loving journos might point out how we've copped it hard, but that's just happy reading for most footy fans and does nothing to change how the AFL operates. I mean, it was well documented how hard we had it with the first block of compressed games - did that change anything for the next block? No, we still copped it bad - our previous bad draw gave us no concessions for the next...
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:^ Agree!!!
What really mystifies me is the lack of protest from Eddie. Is it that he does not want to be seen as whinger (although that has not stopped him in the past) or that he wants to put himself in the good books with the AFL? If the latter, why?
Eddie only protests under certain conditions:
a) It makes him look good as a "law and order" moral puritan for the AFL (like when he demanded to know the truth about Jack steven, or when another club's player broke the covid protocol)
b) His protest does not conflict with the profit requirements of the AFL.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
piedys
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 99 times

Re: How many frees to Grundy???

Post by piedys »

PyreneesPie wrote:
piedys wrote:.
It is now a family environment, not the free-for-all it was back in the day at the Yarra Falls end at Vic Park, where one could, errr... speak their mind [the truth!]
Oh goodness piedys. You wouldn't by chance have been involved in any of the fisty cuffs that I witnessed back in those days??? At least if you positioned at the Yarra Falls end, you would have had plenty of back up :wink:
Nah, never incited violence at any footy game, nor got baited.
The sledging was always directed on field, not at opposition fans.
Just mouthed off with the rest of the ratbags there, with no fear of retribution.
The Vic Park Outer wasn't really a place for children to attend.
Even if we carried on like a bunch of them...

Skids, on the other hand, can entertain you for hours with tales of scufflerama royale, at WACA and Subiaco...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
bally12

Post by bally12 »

Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Maynard, you are awesome mate. We need more like you.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Lynch, I've seen a few times before, and I don't think he's up to the standard.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
WHE...would love if he had more grunt but it's not going to happen.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Time to have a look at the Murphy kid.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
Stop playing like friggin robots.
CakeWalkin

Post by CakeWalkin »

My take on the game is

If we played Moore fwd from the start of the game, we would have won

Fortune favours the Brave

Even though the kicks into the fwd line in the last qtr were crap, Moore still managed to nearly create 3 goals. Forward insticts...
slangman
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by slangman »

Moore is a forward and it’s an absolute waste to have him playing back.
Unfortunately last night they switched him to full forward next to Cox and Mihocek which was not very well thought out.
Mihocek should’ve been sent down back.

Darcy Moore has the talent and required desperation that we are so badly lacking from our key forwards. Make the move permanent but not with both Cox and Mihocek in the same space.

Noble was fantastic and his run and carry were great to see.
If a couple of players took marks or crumbed front and centre from his drives forward we would be saying how much of a superstar he is. The ineffective forward line undid a lot of his hard line breaking.
For what he cost us and probably earns, he is definitely playing above his pay rate unlike some others.

Also, Maynard contributed more on one leg than about 5-7 others on two.
- Side By Side -
TassiePie1990

Post by TassiePie1990 »

Got to love Maynards hardness on one leg. Can straight away tell he is a magpie for life. Bleeds black & white. Great to see him helping his mates up or giving the opposition a bit back when they go at one us.
His progression this year has been a big positive as a player and a leader.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

The game was lost in the midfield contest, their fresh back up ruckman beat our tiring AA ruckman.
Berry from my vantage point was BoG.

Moore going forward was an effort to exploit Andrews going off and turn the match.
The most disappointing thing was our ball carriers were beaten and our mids couldn't take advantage of the mismatch late in the game of Lester on Cox. The amount of times we failed to exploit the mismatch was frustrating to watch, it was like the players were unaware. With Andrews out, and the height difference our forwards had we should have been able to swing the match our way. Coach did the right thing, players didn't.
Players can own this one, not the coach.

Lost to the 2nd team, after they had a week off, at their home ground in a tight contest. 3 of our top 5 players out. Disappointing but no disgrace.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Was prepared to give us the benefit of the doubt last night because of our schedule. But Brisbane kicked no goals in the first quarter and only one goal three in the second half and still managed to beat us. :?
didick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by didick »

Skill errors
Skill errors
Skill errors
Grundy tapping straight down lions throats
Skill errors
Repeat

We have a sidey clone too with dinky kicks and handballs that don’t reach the target yet the commentators rave about his great game.
"The night is a very dark time for me" Chaz Michael Michaels
58pie

Post by 58pie »

How can a side with a 5 days break perform against a side that comes off a bye. Pies will come good and win the flag from outside the top 4 with 4 big stars a possibility to come back into the side. Go Pies
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

^Yes. Well the optimist in me sees it that way too. I can definitely acknowledge that playing a team who is coming off a bye after we'd played three games in twelve days and were coming off a four day break is very unfair. Looking forward to seeing what we produce in the last two rounds after the bye. Really need JDG back AND firing.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

bally12 wrote:Wake me up when the careers of Phillips, Greenwood, Noble, are over.

Buckley, sorry...you're a good guy but not a coach. You've appointed your best mate as forward coach in Sanderson. He was both a failed coach and never a forward. His "player review" skits on the Collingwood website are embarrassing.
When you watch a game of footy like that and see our problems laid out so bare, and then in Buckley's after-match interview not touch on any one of them, Who are we kidding here?

Here's the reality..

Moore's not a forward. He doesn't have the game for it, and neither the kicking skills. He can be a great defender..he showed that last week.
Grundy...wtf is he doing with his tap-work? Like seriously wtf. Enough of these dinky taps to his feet. Tap it far enough to an outside contest or smash it forward if you can.
Maynard, you are awesome mate. We need more like you.
Both Browns...you need to work on flattening your kicking and kicking with power instead of these dinky kicks you do. Same applies for the the loopy handballs. Cut it out.
I mean if you're pretending to be a footballer, kicking is what it's all about. Your number one priority as a footballer should always be to make your kicking a weapon.
In contrast, Quaynor's first couple games showed he had the same problem but he since has really imporoved in flattening this kicks. He looks like he could be a beauty.
Billy Elliott, so glad to see you back. Great addition to the midfield. I'd have Billy, Pendles, DeGoey as my starting centre-clearance mids.
Stevo looks like he's got some mental demons. I'm not jumping on his back just yet.
Lynch, I've seen a few times before, and I don't think he's up to the standard.
Coxy actually played ok today. He needs to play with mongrel to play to his best, but it doesn't come naturally to him. I'm not sure how to do it, but someone needs to make him agry before the game.
Madge has really surprised me with his improvement. He's slimmed down a bit and actually can pass for an average footballer now. I'm not sold on him, but I don't mind if I see a bit more. Howe takes his place when he returns.
Daics is improving well. A bit more confidence is needed though, maybe another sold preseason to improve his strength.
WHE...would love if he had more grunt but it's not going to happen.
Adams' kicking is comical, but what can we do. The kid has a red-hot go. Pity we didn't get someone that knew what they were doing to fix his kicking when we got him. Too late now.
Here's a drill I iwould have used with Tay to fix his kicking. With his back to the man on the mark, wheel around with 1-step only and lace a target with a flat kick to someone 40m away at 45degrees forward of the ball. It would force him to guide the ball to his foot with 1 hand, because he'd have to kick around his body on an arc.His double-handed ball drop only allows him to kick the ball when he's running straight square-on to the target.
Phillips and Noble are just panic merchants, and weak in the contest. They are more likely to hand the ball to the opposition under pressure. Noble's also always backwards-handballing. Don't be fooled by his perceived "running ability". I'd rather Sharenberg there, no matter how slow he is.
Time to have a look at the Murphy kid.
Greenwood just doesn't have the skills to be effectivee. So he lays a hard tackle every now and then. Doesn't cut it.

Now to the game-style. Ffs sake, take the game on, play instinctively, create chaos, enjoy your footy.
Stop handballing backwards all the time, and to stationary targets. It just invites presssure.
Stop playing like friggin robots.
Please bally12 post more often.
You sound like you actually watch our players closely and not skim over the top of their deficiencies like most here do.
Grundy's tap work should have put us on the front foot but all it did was the opposite this is a recurring reoccurring issue. Noble is and always will be too small and cannot take panic out his game. Enough said about WHE & Phillips. Brown boys if i may add have one skill and that is handballing, they need to learn positioning in contests. Really their dumb footballers.
Sanderson can wipe that smile of his dial and show some emotion.
Also I noticed Billy looked frustrated out there. Yeah he had a dog of a day but gave he's all. Glad he wasn't playing for the opposition.
no second chances
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

^You want to hear about our player's definicies? Just listen to the commentators. They'll tell you about them all night long.