Supplemental Selection Period - how it works & invitees

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

180 cm, 80 kg
Selected Captain of VFL Team of the Year
And best player award at The Kennel last two years
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Obviously not a McStay replacement then.
What does it mean "invited to train" anyway? Do yo get paid? What do you do about your job, assuming you have one?
Culprit
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Culprit »

gurugeoff wrote:what does it mean "invited to train: anyway. Do yo get paid? What do you do about your job, assuming you have one
You do not get paid unless you get selected and put on the list. What you get is an elite-level training and coaching experience. You can't buy that.
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

So as it seems, the players invited to train with us are:

* Campbell Hustwaite (Collingwood VFL) (184cm Mid)
* Josh Eyre (Collingwood VFL) (198cm Ruck/Fwd)
* Sam Sofronidis (Collegians VAFA) (194cm Mid)
* Brynn Teakle (Port Adelaide AFL) (203cm Ruck)
* Jack Bytel (St Kilda AFL) (189cm Mid)
* Lachie Sullivan (Bulldogs VFL) (180 cm Mid)

Some have asked about Will Kelly, but there's been no news or official word what he's doing.

Some are concerned that no KPP's have been invited (other than Eyre and Teakle - both ruckmen). McStay came to the club with some worried about him not being the right fit. He played 14 games for 20 goals in his first season with the Pies. As we know, he would have played in the GF, but was replaced by Frampton after injury. Ash Johnson is the player that will be looked at to cover McStays absence. He played 15 games for 21 goals in 2023, but did not feature in finals.

With Frampton, Johnson, and Krueger all on the list, perhaps the club thinks we have enough Key Talls to fight for that spot, without adding one they dont think will get a look in.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Always happy to leave these decisions to the coach and club. They have the most important intelligence and information to make the correct choices.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Rex

Post by Rex »

Culprit wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:what does it mean "invited to train: anyway. Do yo get paid? What do you do about your job, assuming you have one
You do not get paid unless you get selected and put on the list. What you get is an elite-level training and coaching experience. You can't buy that.
I looked it up the other day: they get $1000 a week while training.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

lazzadesilva wrote:Always happy to leave these decisions to the coach and club. They have the most important intelligence and information to make the correct choices.

As opposed to who? Didn't you get a call?
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

LaurieHolden wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:Always happy to leave these decisions to the coach and club. They have the most important intelligence and information to make the correct choices.

As opposed to who? Didn't you get a call?
Nah, not yet! However never underestimate the potential intelligence of our Nicksters. With the various suggestions and advice presented here by well respected and qualified experts, I have no doubt that the club would be sailing into guaranteed success every season. You don’t get to be equal top in flag wins without the canny and savvy advice given here every week during the season. The club is not stupid enough to not take up these gems for their use!
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Assuming we keep a spot open for the mid season draft, plus an international rookie spot, in case Alex Conden's NBL career falls through, how many of these current rookie spots can we fill?
BazBoy
Been liked: 40 times

Post by BazBoy »

We have a reasonable compliment of mids and small/medium fwds

Our defence is quality

Need a tall big body forward if we can unearth one
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Presti35
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Presti35 »

BazBoy wrote:Need a tall big body forward if we can unearth one
We found Carmichael in the MSD not too long ago.
RudeBoy wrote:How many of these current rookie spots can we fill?
That's what I want to know. How many actual spots are there, how many will we fill?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
David
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by David »

I’m finding it hard to keep up with as anybody, but if I understand correctly we now have a third SSP spot with Dan McStay’s injury + an extra MSD pick in hand? So four list spaces we can fill in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
neil
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by neil »

The only question i have about Sullivan is if he is any good why haven't the doggies pounced on him?
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^
SEN host Cam Luke is a fan of Sullivan ~
“There's clearly a weakness or two that AFL clubs are a little nervous about, but if he ends up on that list at Collingwood and he fights his way in and gets an opportunity, I think he's a guy who will play good AFL football.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/07/ ... list-spot/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 22 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

I know nothing about this channel. It just popped up in my YouTube feed.
The clip gives a summary of Sullivan and claims that Essendon were keen to take him in last seasons mid-year draft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwD4oG8oQc8