Thinking ahead to 2023 draft...

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Big T »

Anyone know much about the forward prospect Luke Lloyd?
Buon Giorno
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

It's all clickbait anyway.

One day I'm going to do the stats on how many selections these pundits guess correctly, beyond say the first five to ten (which Snowy off the trams could predict as well).
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Can we bring Snowy onto Nick's for a live Q&A? :lol:
Rex

Post by Rex »

I’m wondering what you think about the idea of just picking the best available Victorian in the draft?
Excluding 2022 intakes because we generally give young blokes two years, and looking at the preceding four years National, Rookie and Mid-Season pickups of players 20 and under, we’ve only retained 2 of 9 interstate picks as far as I can see (compared to 8 of 13 locals (2 to other Vic clubs)).
Our brilliant 2023 win was the result of many things and a lots been made of our culture and how happy and relaxed players have been, which I’m sure helps. Home-sickness and lack of family support must impact on some players and a 1% drop off in performance might be the difference between making it or not.
Sure there are many examples of brilliant footballers who move interstate at 18, but in the years 2018-2021 the only interstaters that have stayed are Beau and Harvey H. And we all know what an amazing support Beau’s mum is.
So, has anyone crunched numbers across the AFL regarding young players and whether local lads are more likely to make it? Or is my scant analysis an irrelevant blip?
Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

How Tassie gun turned 10-week ban into a 'blessing in disguise' ~
Arie Schoenmaker could be one of this year's draft bolters despite serving a huge suspension earlier in the season

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057399/how ... n-disguise
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Yes, but what about George Stevens?
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Ash Johnson and defender Oleg Markov have been elevated to the Club’s AFL senior list.

The Pies now have 33 AFL primary listed players and two rookie spots.

Collingwood will enter the 2023 AFL National Draft with Picks 19, 33 and 80.

Source :
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... enior-list
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Jezza
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 316 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Nice. Well deserved elevations.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 58 times

Post by warburton lad »

Jezza wrote:^ Nice. Well deserved elevations.
Agreed, Mr Jezza.

I think that Ash Johnson will have a huge 2024. This summer will be his third pre-season with the Pies and I hope that he really piles in the work on and off the track- he could be anything; a great mark and a beautiful kick for goal.

If Markov never played another game, his story at Collingwood is the stuff of legend. Delisted by Gold Coast, premiership Pie 12 months later... I also think that Markov has improvement in him. He is playing in a game-style that suits him and plays to his strengths and is already a cult-figure for fans.
Some players just warm to a particular coach- Markov is such a player.

I would love to see the Pies draft Schoenmaker from Tassie (194 cm Blackman with a booming kick) and, if available, Archer Reid as a 202cm forward/key back..

I reckon we will save a pick for either the SSP Draft or the mid season Draft.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 131 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We will definitely be keeping a spot open for the mid season draft, hoping to recruit the 214 cm giant Alex Conden.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gurugeoff »

An obvious go home factor for tassie players coming up
Boot
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Boot »

Whilst we need to be realistic about what quality of recruit will be available for Collingwoods picks 19, 33 and 80. The two draftees that I am hoping are still available for Collingwood to pick up are Geroge Stevens and Arie Schoenmaker.
Stevens is an inside bull with a big body, basketball background (almost mandatory for Collingwood recruits these days :D ) and an ideal replacement of Taylor Adams. Schoemaker seems to have terrific athletic ability with a good size and the best kick in this years draft. The fact that he's Tasmanian is a bit of a worry that might become a problem when the new Tasmanian team starts recruiting but hopefully once imbedded into the Collingwood culture in the heart of AFL he'll be satisfied to remain with the club that develops him. That "go-home" to Tasmania pull might put some clubs off nominating him to allow him to slide to our pick 33.
With our last pick I'm hoping for a Derek Hine special, but hopefully the Category B signing of Alex Condon will turn his back on a basketball career to arrive at Collingwood as our long term replacement of Mason Cox in 2024.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ their bio's all read great but reality is first year draftees aren't going into a Premiership midfield or this side for at least 2 years.
Regardless , I'll be very happy if we secure and develop any of those players, or make a push for Glenelg teammates Bodie Ryan and Ashton Moir.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

RudeBoy wrote:We will definitely be keeping a spot open for the mid season draft, hoping to recruit the 214 cm giant Alex Conden.
He's a Cat B rookie, his spot is already opened by delisting Wilson (Cat B) and we also have another one open separate to the 6 Cat A rookies, but he can't go on the list til mid season 2024, that's when he completes 3 years of not playing footy at any level and becomes eligible for Cat B status, we can put him on the list anytime he comes home from mid season 2024 on, he's already chosen us but still chasing those round ball dollars OS but hasn't gone down the paths that usually lead to getting a contract so we are looking good to get Paul Salmon for a bag of chips.
Flagpies
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I watched Charlie Edwards vid the other day.. I took some heart that he looked ok, and someone who may be available at out first pick.

Only downside I have for these late risers is they had a purple patch at the right time of the season, and I wonder if its a flash in the pan period of good form.

Overall , I've come down to a small handful, and realistically about pick 23, they look ok.